CompactFlash Bluetooth/802.11b combo? - Handheld

This is a discussion on CompactFlash Bluetooth/802.11b combo? - Handheld ; My Zaurus has been sitting around unused for a long time. Every time I think about putting it into use (or getting a new one like the SL-C3100) I stop because it doesn't have any good built-in wireless capabilities. I ...

  1. CompactFlash Bluetooth/802.11b combo?

    My Zaurus has been sitting around unused for a long time. Every
    time I think about putting it into use (or getting a new one like
    the SL-C3100) I stop because it doesn't have any good built-in
    wireless capabilities. I need both Bluetooth and 802.11b.

    One solution would be to find an SL-6000L (with integrated
    802.11b) and then use the CompactFlash for Bluetooth. The 6000
    series seems to be dead though.

    I'm leaning toward trying a clamshell Zaurus. If I could just
    get an 802.11b/Bluetooth CompactFlash card I'd be all set. That
    doesn't seem like an unreasonable request; I've seen SD cards
    for 802.11b and Bluetooth (separately) so combining that
    functionality in a CompactFlash card should be easy, right?

    Well, I haven't found any such device in my periodic searches.
    Am I missing anything? I'm surprised there isn't such a device
    already.

    (I'm also thinking about an Olympus R1018. Then I'd just have
    to add a Bluetooth keyboard and deal with the low resolution
    and tiny memory.)

    Thank you.

    --kyler

  2. Re: CompactFlash Bluetooth/802.11b combo?

    There's always ebay, but computergeeks.com have a few cards as well.
    Take a look at this link for bluetooth:

    http://tinyurl.com/7892g

  3. Re: CompactFlash Bluetooth/802.11b combo?

    "GoGoGadgetgirl!" writes:

    >There's always ebay, but computergeeks.com have a few cards as well.
    >Take a look at this link for bluetooth:

    >http://tinyurl.com/7892g

    Is this just an unrelated advertisement or does it have something to
    do with what I requested?

    (Please tell me Computer Geeks doesn't support spam like this!)

    --kyler

  4. Re: CompactFlash Bluetooth/802.11b combo?

    >There's always ebay, but computergeeks.com have a few cards as well.
    >Take a look at this link for bluetooth:
    >http://tinyurl.com/7892g

    Is this just an unrelated advertisement or does it have something to
    do with what I requested?

    (Please tell me Computer Geeks doesn't support spam like this!)
    ---
    Ok, the next time I'll keep my opinions/helpfulness to myself. No, I'm
    not a rep from Computergeeks. I read your post, remembered seeing a
    compact flash bluetooth card on that site (I do visit that site daily)
    and posted a tiny url link (the original link for the page was over 300
    characters.)

  5. Re: CompactFlash Bluetooth/802.11b combo?

    "GoGoGadgetgirl!" writes:

    >Ok, the next time I'll keep my opinions/helpfulness to myself. No, I'm
    >not a rep from Computergeeks. I read your post, remembered seeing a
    >compact flash bluetooth card on that site (I do visit that site daily)
    >and posted a tiny url link (the original link for the page was over 300
    >characters.)

    Had I asked for help finding a simple CompactFlash Bluetooth card, I
    would have appreciated it. (Of course I'd also be kicking myself for
    asking for help because those cards are so incredibly easy to find
    that it certainly wouldn't have warranted a Usenet post.)

    --kyler

  6. Re: CompactFlash Bluetooth/802.11b combo?

    "GoGoGadgetgirl!" writes:
    >Ok, the next time I'll keep my opinions/helpfulness to myself. No, I'm
    >not a rep from Computergeeks. I read your post, remembered seeing a
    >compact flash bluetooth card on that site (I do visit that site daily)
    >and posted a tiny url link (the original link for the page was over 300
    >characters.)

    Had I asked for help finding a simple CompactFlash Bluetooth card, I
    would have appreciated it. (Of course I'd also be kicking myself for
    asking for help because those cards are so incredibly easy to find
    that it certainly wouldn't have warranted a Usenet post.)

    --kyler
    ---
    I might understand you paranoia *remotely* if I had (oh, I don't know)
    posted "Buy from __________.com!" a billion times everytime someone
    posted a question here. The fact that it was my first reply (after
    skimming through this website for ages) and my bad that I didn't have
    the correct answer. Also, I did mention checking ebay.com (Oh! I'll
    be spamming/bombing the newsgroups with Ebay adverts soon...) before
    posting a link.

  7. Re: CompactFlash Bluetooth/802.11b combo?

    "GoGoGadgetgirl!" writes:

    >I might understand you paranoia *remotely* if I had (oh, I don't know)
    >posted "Buy from __________.com!" a billion times everytime someone
    >posted a question here.

    There are other bots around that react to keywords (like "Bluetooth").
    Your response ignored both the subject line and the content of the
    message so it seems reasonable to question whether it was a simple bot.
    (Heck, I'm *still* trying to figure out if I'm being had.)

    >The fact that it was my first reply (after
    >skimming through this website for ages) and my bad that I didn't have
    >the correct answer.

    It was a fine answer. It just didn't have much to do with the
    question. I've found that I'm able to give a much more helpful answer
    after reading and understanding the question posed. Perhaps it might
    work for you too.

    --kyler

  8. Re: CompactFlash Bluetooth/802.11b combo?

    >I might understand you paranoia *remotely* if I had (oh, I don't
    know)
    >posted "Buy from __________.com!" a billion times everytime someone
    >posted a question here.

    There are other bots around that react to keywords (like "Bluetooth").
    Your response ignored both the subject line and the content of the
    message so it seems reasonable to question whether it was a simple bot.
    (Heck, I'm *still* trying to figure out if I'm being had.)

    >The fact that it was my first reply (after
    >skimming through this website for ages) and my bad that I didn't have
    >the correct answer.

    It was a fine answer. It just didn't have much to do with the
    question. I've found that I'm able to give a much more helpful answer
    after reading and understanding the question posed. Perhaps it might
    work for you too.

    --kyler
    ---
    Then why bother asking questions/seeking help on the usenet if you're
    nervous about some bot trying to spam you? Perhaps you need to use a
    search engine next time rather than bitching to someone trying to offer
    help. There's also the option of waiting for the correct answer to
    come along.

  9. Re: CompactFlash Bluetooth/802.11b combo?

    "GoGoGadgetgirl!" writes:

    >Then why bother asking questions/seeking help on the usenet if you're
    >nervous about some bot trying to spam you?

    I'm not nervous about bots spamming me so I'm not in a position to
    answer that.

    Usenet certainly has value beyond the noise. The inane responses do
    not diminish the value of the fantastic help I've received from Usenet
    over the years.

    >Perhaps you need to use a
    >search engine next time rather than bitching to someone trying to offer
    >help.

    Someone more thoughtful than a bot could have read my message and seen
    that I had been searching for the answer for quite awhile with no luck.
    ("Well, I haven't found any such device in my periodic searches.")
    Thus I was looking for help beyond any existing resources I've found.

    Noise is an inevitable part of asking for help on Usenet. It's a
    curiousity to me. It's worthwhile to me to investigate inappropriate
    such things. I keep thinking that there might have been something I
    could have written more clearly that would have prevented it, but my
    conclusion is that there's often going to be someone who will almost
    completely ignore what I've written and simply fire back some
    misguided response. Sometimes this is done in malice ("trolling",
    etc.) but this time it *appears* to be driven by something else. The
    "GoGoGadgetgirl!" name still has me wondering.

    >There's also the option of waiting for the correct answer to
    >come along.

    I'm continuing with that option independently of investigating the
    source of the noise.

    --kyler

  10. Re: CompactFlash Bluetooth/802.11b combo?

    >Then why bother asking questions/seeking help on the usenet if you're
    >nervous about some bot trying to spam you?

    I'm not nervous about bots spamming me so I'm not in a position to
    answer that.
    ---
    Then WHY did this whole back and forth get started for? You asking
    about a certain company spamming and the like. Geez, someone points
    you in the direction of an answer that unfortunately (I'm *so* sorry)
    didn't fit your needs and they get slapped down.

    The "GoGoGadgetgirl!" name still has me wondering.
    ---
    Wondering about what? The phenom of handles/usernames in usenet
    groups?!

    >There's also the option of waiting for the correct answer to
    >come along.

    I'm continuing with that option independently of investigating the
    source of the noise.
    ---
    When you're finished with the shovel for digging up whatever, let me
    use it so that I can clear up all the bullsh!t from this thread. Good
    luck slappy.

+ Reply to Thread