BES 4.0 ON EXCHANGE QUESTION - Handheld

This is a discussion on BES 4.0 ON EXCHANGE QUESTION - Handheld ; We want to be able to synchronize contacts, appointments etc made in our Outlooks to our Blackberries without having to connect to a PC. So if a secretary makes an entry in someone's Outlook it will be automatically synched to ...

  1. BES 4.0 ON EXCHANGE QUESTION

    We want to be able to synchronize contacts, appointments etc
    made in our Outlooks to our Blackberries without having to
    connect to a PC. So if a secretary makes an entry in someone's
    Outlook it will be automatically synched to that person's Blackberry.
    From what I understand we need BES 4.0 for Exchange to accomplish this.

    Right now we have a single Windows 2003 server which is also Exchange 2003
    server, DNS server, file server and backup server.

    My questions are as follows:
    1. In the setup guide it states that SQL server needs to be installed on the
    BES itself.
    I understand that I don't actually need to install SQL server and that
    the setup will isntall
    it's own basic SQL server program. Is that correct?
    2. It's a very decent server with 1 GB of RAM and mirrored drives but I'm
    still concerned that
    it may not be able to handle all of this. How resource intensive is the
    BES? We will have maybe a
    dozen of people using it (BES) at any one time.
    3. I still don't fully understand how BES is supposed to work. I will
    install it on the same
    machine as Exchange server and it will work with Exchange to somehow
    relay the information to the outside
    of our network to the T-Mobile/Cingular etc? and from there to the
    blackberries? Wouldn't that
    be pretty much how it all works now? A Blackberry connects to T-Mobile
    mail server which is in turn
    configured to get mail messages from the accounts that I specify (located
    on our mail server?)
    4. In the install manual it says that Outlook must be uninstalled on BES.
    Is that a critical requirement?
    What are the consequences of keeping Outlook on the server.

    Thank you all very much

  2. Re: BES 4.0 ON EXCHANGE QUESTION

    These are questions you should be asking Blackberry's pre-sales team.

    Another alternative is www.good.com

    "asdf" wrote in message
    > We want to be able to synchronize contacts, appointments etc
    > made in our Outlooks to our Blackberries without having to
    > connect to a PC. So if a secretary makes an entry in someone's
    > Outlook it will be automatically synched to that person's Blackberry.
    > From what I understand we need BES 4.0 for Exchange to accomplish this.
    >
    > Right now we have a single Windows 2003 server which is also Exchange 2003
    > server, DNS server, file server and backup server.
    >
    > My questions are as follows:
    > 1. In the setup guide it states that SQL server needs to be installed on
    > the
    > BES itself.
    > I understand that I don't actually need to install SQL server and that
    > the setup will isntall
    > it's own basic SQL server program. Is that correct?
    > 2. It's a very decent server with 1 GB of RAM and mirrored drives but I'm
    > still concerned that
    > it may not be able to handle all of this. How resource intensive is the
    > BES? We will have maybe a
    > dozen of people using it (BES) at any one time.
    > 3. I still don't fully understand how BES is supposed to work. I will
    > install it on the same
    > machine as Exchange server and it will work with Exchange to somehow
    > relay the information to the outside
    > of our network to the T-Mobile/Cingular etc? and from there to the
    > blackberries? Wouldn't that
    > be pretty much how it all works now? A Blackberry connects to T-Mobile
    > mail server which is in turn
    > configured to get mail messages from the accounts that I specify
    > (located
    > on our mail server?)
    > 4. In the install manual it says that Outlook must be uninstalled on BES.
    > Is that a critical requirement?
    > What are the consequences of keeping Outlook on the server.
    >
    > Thank you all very much

+ Reply to Thread