Which older PocketPC has: StrongARM > 200 MHz, RAM > 32 MB, CE > 3.0 - Handheld

This is a discussion on Which older PocketPC has: StrongARM > 200 MHz, RAM > 32 MB, CE > 3.0 - Handheld ; Hi, I'm looking for an older (read: cheaper) PocketPC with these minimum requirements: * Windows CE 3 or higher * ARM-compatible, StrongArm 1110 200 MHz or up * 32 MB RAM or more * Slot for memory cards, CF or ...

  1. Which older PocketPC has: StrongARM > 200 MHz, RAM > 32 MB, CE > 3.0

    Hi,

    I'm looking for an older (read: cheaper) PocketPC with these minimum
    requirements:

    * Windows CE 3 or higher
    * ARM-compatible, StrongArm 1110 200 MHz or up
    * 32 MB RAM or more
    * Slot for memory cards, CF or SD
    * Display may be monochrome (but colour is obviously better...)
    * A serial port of any kind

    The only PocketPC I came up with by now are the HP 3160/3660, which
    sell rather cheap on ebay over here (about €50 = $70). Only problem is
    that they do not have a memory card slot built-in but need an
    extension jacket (about €40 = $50) for that.

    Any hints for other old, ARM-based, cheap PocketPCs?

    Thanks,
    Norman

  2. Re: Which older PocketPC has: StrongARM > 200 MHz, RAM > 32 MB, CE > 3.0

    29 Apr 2005 01:13:44 -0700, N Weiss:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for an older (read: cheaper) PocketPC with these minimum
    > requirements:
    >
    > * Windows CE 3 or higher
    > * ARM-compatible, StrongArm 1110 200 MHz or up
    > * 32 MB RAM or more
    > * Slot for memory cards, CF or SD
    > * Display may be monochrome (but colour is obviously better...)
    > * A serial port of any kind
    >
    > The only PocketPC I came up with by now are the HP 3160/3660, which
    > sell rather cheap on ebay over here (about €50 = $70). Only problem is
    > that they do not have a memory card slot built-in but need an
    > extension jacket (about €40 = $50) for that.
    >
    > Any hints for other old, ARM-based, cheap PocketPCs?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Norman

    What about the 38xx series? They come a little more expensive, but
    they have an SD slot and their battery has 50% more capacity than the
    36xx series. Which was the most important reason why I decided for one
    a few years ago.
    --
    Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."

  3. Re: Which older PocketPC has: StrongARM > 200 MHz, RAM > 32 MB, CE > 3.0

    On 29 Apr 2005 01:13:44 -0700, fdo003@bigfoot.de (N Weiss) wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm looking for an older (read: cheaper) PocketPC with these minimum
    >requirements:
    >
    >* Windows CE 3 or higher

    All Pocket PCs satisfy this requirement.

    >* ARM-compatible, StrongArm 1110 200 MHz or up

    Some of the original Pocket PCs use SH3 or MIPS CPUs. Microsoft
    defines the Pocket PC standards. Starting with Pocket PC 2002 all
    Pocket PCs use ARM-compatible CPUs. I'm pretty sure all ARM-compatible
    CPUs in Pocket PCs are 200 MHz or faster.

    >* 32 MB RAM or more
    >* Slot for memory cards, CF or SD
    >* Display may be monochrome (but colour is obviously better...)
    >* A serial port of any kind

    The serial port is tough. Socket and probably other companies, sell CF
    Card serial ports. But they cost as much as you're willing to spend
    altogether.

    If you're willing to consider other Windows CE platforms, serial ports
    are more likely. Although meeting your other criteria gets tougher.

    >The only PocketPC I came up with by now are the HP 3160/3660, which
    >sell rather cheap on ebay over here (about €50 = $70). Only problem is
    >that they do not have a memory card slot built-in but need an
    >extension jacket (about €40 = $50) for that.
    >
    >Any hints for other old, ARM-based, cheap PocketPCs?

    Chris De Herrera's web site has several comparison lists. One each for
    Pocket PC, Pocket PC 2002, Pocket PC 2003, and rugged. Here are two:
    http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/wce/30/pocketpccomp.htm
    http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/wce/30/po...ruggedcomp.htm

    >Thanks,
    >Norman

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
    Boston, MA 02118
    www.penfact.com

  4. Any older ARM-based Pocket PC ? (was: Which older PocketPC has: StrongARM > 200 MHz, RAM > 32 MB, CE > 3.0)

    r_z_aret@pen_fact.com schrieb:
    > On 29 Apr 2005 01:13:44 -0700, fdo003@bigfoot.de (N Weiss) wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >I'm looking for an older (read: cheaper) PocketPC with these minimum
    > >requirements:
    > >
    > >* Windows CE 3 or higher

    > All Pocket PCs satisfy this requirement.

    I was about to say "No, they don't", but then I vaguely remembered that
    Microsoft renamed their PDA OS a while ago, didn't they? So by
    definition, all Pocket PCs run CE3 or higher, while all devices below
    CE3 are "Palm PC" or "Palm-sized PC".... Yeah, right.

    > >* ARM-compatible, StrongArm 1110 200 MHz or up
    > >* 32 MB RAM or more
    > >* Slot for memory cards, CF or SD

    > >* A serial port of any kind

    > The serial port is tough. Socket and probably other companies,(...)

    Usually every PocketPC has a serial connection hidden somewhere along
    the many pins around its bottom, so that point isn't the problem.

    > >The only PocketPC I came up with by now are the HP 3160/3660 (...)
    > >Any hints for other old, ARM-based, cheap PocketPCs?

    > Chris De Herrera's web site has several comparison lists. One each

    for
    > Pocket PC, Pocket PC 2002, Pocket PC 2003, and rugged. Here are two:
    > http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/wce/30/pocketpccomp.htm
    > http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/wce/30/po...ruggedcomp.htm

    And which are ARM-based besides the HP 31xx/36xx/38xx etc.? None,
    except the Intermec P70 and Palmax PD-60M, PD-600C which are all quite
    unknown and probably not easy to get on the used devices market.
    (Websites do not exist anymore)

    So that still leaves me with the question if there are any cheap old
    PPC out there besides the HP series...

    Regards,
    Norman

+ Reply to Thread