Which Handheld / OS? - Handheld

This is a discussion on Which Handheld / OS? - Handheld ; I'm needing to get a handheld and program it to download from a SQL server via the Internet, do minor editing of the data, and upload the info back to the server. Its for inspectors in the field. What is ...

  1. Which Handheld / OS?

    I'm needing to get a handheld and program it to download from a SQL server
    via the Internet, do minor editing of the data, and upload the info back to
    the server. Its for inspectors in the field.

    What is a good handheld for that purpose and what development tools would be
    needed to accomplish this?

    Thanks for your time.
    Wes

  2. Re: Which Handheld / OS?

    Handhelds range from elegant to rugged and functionality. The iPaq and
    Palm seem to offer a lot of choices. For development, go to
    www.airwvenow.com and see "Law enforcement" You can view a 10 miniute
    demo on how easy it is to develop and deploy applications.

  3. Re: Which Handheld / OS?

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:07:51 -0500, "Wes Peters" wrote:

    >I'm needing to get a handheld and program it to download from a SQL server
    >via the Internet, do minor editing of the data, and upload the info back to
    >the server. Its for inspectors in the field.
    >
    >What is a good handheld for that purpose and what development tools would be
    >needed to accomplish this?

    For a list of rugged handhelds, see my 21 Apr 2005 contribution to a
    thread called "Looking for special material" in
    microsoft.public.pocketpc. I _am_ biased towards Windows CE/Pocket PC,
    so the list is restricted. I'm quite sure several industrial handhelds
    run Palm OS. Probably Symbian and Linux also.

    Sales pitch warning:
    My company's primary focus is on inspections. We make and sell
    software that lets inspectors collect data and upload the data to
    back-end databases. We provide tools to analyze the data and generate
    reports. We provide tools that let customers revise inspection forms,
    with revision control, without making any changes in the actual
    programs. These tools can be used by folks who know the inspections,
    but aren't necessarily in IT. Our programs are very robust. We can
    often get a customer up and running in less than a week. And we really
    are often less expensive than home grown. So I hope you will check our
    web site and/or contact me (see my signature below).

    >Thanks for your time.
    >Wes

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.