Software for Windows Mobile 2003 - Handheld

This is a discussion on Software for Windows Mobile 2003 - Handheld ; Hi Just got an HP iPAQ hx2410 running Windows Mobile 2003. What format Pocket PC apps are compatible to run on this platform? I see downloads for ARM, MIPS, SH3, Windows CE? Derick...

  1. Software for Windows Mobile 2003

    Hi

    Just got an HP iPAQ hx2410 running Windows Mobile 2003. What format Pocket
    PC apps are compatible to run on this platform? I see downloads for ARM,
    MIPS, SH3, Windows CE?

    Derick

  2. Re: Software for Windows Mobile 2003

    Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:55:23 GMT, Derick via PocketPCJunkies.com:

    > Hi
    >
    > Just got an HP iPAQ hx2410 running Windows Mobile 2003. What format Pocket
    > PC apps are compatible to run on this platform? I see downloads for ARM,
    > MIPS, SH3, Windows CE?
    >
    > Derick

    MIPS and SH3 are rather old architectures. What you are looking for is
    ARM.
    --
    Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."

  3. Re: Software for Windows Mobile 2003

    In article <9neqgf5y8bn5.rq5zmpsdvwac.dlg@40tude.net>,
    Frank Steinmetzger <"Warp_7@"@gmx.de> wrote:
    >Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:55:23 GMT, Derick via PocketPCJunkies.com:
    >
    >> Just got an HP iPAQ hx2410 running Windows Mobile 2003. What format Pocket
    >> PC apps are compatible to run on this platform? I see downloads for ARM,
    >> MIPS, SH3, Windows CE?

    >MIPS and SH3 are rather old architectures. What you are looking for is
    >ARM.

    In the spirit of representing all viewpoints, MIPS and SH3 aren't old at
    all. It's just that in the effort to consolidate, Pocket PC 2002 and 2003
    devices run only ARM and ARM-compatible processors. There are plenty of
    Windows CE devices that still use MIPS and SH-X series CPU's today, but
    none of the new ones happen to be Pocket PC devices.

    I would make the argument that MIPS and SH-X processors have advantages
    over the ARM architecture, but that's really outside of this particular
    topic. Suffice it to say that if you have a PPC2003 device, you definitely
    have an ARM processor in it.

    -KKC, who sees the same confusion leaking over into the desktop computer
    world now that the 64-bit version of Windows XP has hit the market...
    --
    --S.S.B. is the code name for America's daring, highly | kendrick @io .com
    trained special mission force. Its purpose: to |

  4. Re: Software for Windows Mobile 2003

    Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:15:15 -0500, Kendrick Kerwin Chua:

    > In article <9neqgf5y8bn5.rq5zmpsdvwac.dlg@40tude.net>,
    > Frank Steinmetzger <"Warp_7@"@gmx.de> wrote:
    >>Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:55:23 GMT, Derick via PocketPCJunkies.com:
    >>
    >>> Just got an HP iPAQ hx2410 running Windows Mobile 2003. What format Pocket
    >>> PC apps are compatible to run on this platform? I see downloads for ARM,
    >>> MIPS, SH3, Windows CE?

    >>MIPS and SH3 are rather old architectures. What you are looking for is
    >>ARM.

    > In the spirit of representing all viewpoints, MIPS and SH3 aren't old at
    > all.

    Hmpf, 5 secs after sending I though again about me choice of words I
    and I was afraid I get that answer. *g*
    --
    Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."
    http://www.stud.tu-ilmenau.de/~frst-ii/

  5. Re: Software for Windows Mobile 2003

    On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:15:15 -0500, kendrick@eris.io.com (Kendrick
    Kerwin Chua) wrote:

    >In article <9neqgf5y8bn5.rq5zmpsdvwac.dlg@40tude.net>,
    >Frank Steinmetzger <"Warp_7@"@gmx.de> wrote:
    >>Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:55:23 GMT, Derick via PocketPCJunkies.com:

    clip

    >In the spirit of representing all viewpoints, MIPS and SH3 aren't old at
    >all. It's just that in the effort to consolidate, Pocket PC 2002 and 2003
    >devices run only ARM and ARM-compatible processors. There are plenty of
    >Windows CE devices that still use MIPS and SH-X series CPU's today, but
    >none of the new ones happen to be Pocket PC devices.

    Quibble/nitpick about the use of "happen" in this context. Microsoft
    controls the Pocket PC definition. And that definition says ARM only.
    Device manufacturers have no legal choice; if they want to sell
    something called a Pocket PC 2003, it must use an ARM-compatible CPU.

    More importantly: Many (most/all?) Pocket PC 2003s have XScale CPUs.
    These are ARM-compatible.

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
    Boston, MA 02118
    www.penfact.com

  6. Re: Software for Windows Mobile 2003

    Tue, 26 Apr 2005 16:13:32 -0400, r_z_aret@pen_fact.com:

    > More importantly: Many (most/all?) Pocket PC 2003s have XScale CPUs.
    > These are ARM-compatible.

    Samsung
    --
    Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."
    http://www.stud.tu-ilmenau.de/~frst-ii/

  7. Re: Software for Windows Mobile 2003

    Thanks for the info
    Derick