new host machine for ActiveSync - Handheld

This is a discussion on new host machine for ActiveSync - Handheld ; I've recently gotten a new desktop computer and I want to move the ActiveSync application for my HP2215 PocketPC to this new host computer. It looks like ActiveSync installs some stuff on the host computer as well as the pocket ...

  1. new host machine for ActiveSync

    I've recently gotten a new desktop computer and I want to move the ActiveSync
    application for my HP2215 PocketPC to this new host computer. It looks like
    ActiveSync installs some stuff on the host computer as well as the pocket pc
    when I install software. What is the procedure for moving to a new host
    computer? Do I need to worry about the stuff installed on the old computer?

    Thanks.

    Jonathan
    -----
    Jonathan Sivier
    Beckman Institute Flight Simulation Lab
    jsivier AT uiuc DOT edu
    Home Page: https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/jsivier/www/
    -----
    Is that a computer in your pocket,
    or are you just happy to see me?

  2. Re: new host machine for ActiveSync

    Thu, 21 Apr 2005 14:09:22 -0500, Jonathan Sivier:

    > I've recently gotten a new desktop computer and I want to move the ActiveSync
    > application for my HP2215 PocketPC to this new host computer. It looks like
    > ActiveSync installs some stuff on the host computer as well as the pocket pc
    > when I install software. What is the procedure for moving to a new host
    > computer? Do I need to worry about the stuff installed on the old computer?

    No you usually don't. In fact, when I get some new app that comes with
    a desktop installer, I run it, store the cab that gets extracted to
    the ActiveSync dir somewhere else and delete it (or uninstall, if it
    has the dignity to add itself to the software list). So now that
    leaves only the CAB which has to be copied to the device (for which I
    don't even use AS because its so slooow), I don't see any sense in why
    AS keeps all these files in the first place. It just blows up space
    usage.
    --
    Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."

+ Reply to Thread