Need general information about PDAs - Handheld

This is a discussion on Need general information about PDAs - Handheld ; I am in the market to buy a PDA. Can anyone here tell me what web sites will give me everything I need to know about them, including recommendations on specific makes and models? -Jonathan...

  1. Need general information about PDAs

    I am in the market to buy a PDA. Can anyone here tell me what web
    sites will give me everything I need to know about them, including
    recommendations on specific makes and models?

    -Jonathan

  2. Re: Need general information about PDAs

    On 21 Apr 2005 12:07:42 -0700, jfklein@shaw.ca (Jonathan) wrote:

    >I am in the market to buy a PDA. Can anyone here tell me what web
    >sites will give me everything I need to know about them, including
    >recommendations on specific makes and models?

    I think the first step is for you to determine why _you_ want to buy a
    PDA. From that you can derive a list of functions with _your_
    priorities. You should also decide how well a PDA must perform each of
    those functions. For example, someone's top priority might be a
    calendar, and it would only be useful if they could carry it in a
    shirt pocket and if it were available in less than 2 seconds. Someone
    else might insist on a combination phone and PDA that can fit in a
    briefcase and costs less than $200 US.

    I admit to a heavy bias towards _printed_ material, especially when
    I'm new to a field. So I recommend buying a related magazine or two
    (look for names like Pocket PC and Mobile Computing). That will help
    you become familiar with terms, hardware, features, and costs. You'll
    also get some leads on web sites.

    I've seen questions similar to yours at least once a week. So google
    _will_ help you find threads with answers. But finding a good search
    string may take some effort, because the question is asked in many
    ways.

    >-Jonathan

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
    Boston, MA 02118
    www.penfact.com

  3. Re: Need general information about PDAs

    Right now the reason I am looking for a PDA is that I want a handheld
    device that will run spreadsheets. But during my research I will
    probably come up with more requireemnts.

    I am curious, why do you favor printed material versus on-line? Do you
    know if the publications you mentionedcan be viewed on line (if
    purchased of course)?

    I realize there is probably a lot of information in the newsgroup
    archives and on the internet in general on PDAs. The problem is there
    is too much information, and it is often very time consuming getting
    to the best sources of the information you want, especially when it is
    on a topic you are unfamiliar with. This is why I started by posting
    to the news groups asking for advice on where to start.

    Would you say comp.sys.handhelds is the best news group for
    information on PDAa, or are there better?

    -Jonathan

    r_z_aret@pen_fact.com wrote in message news:...
    > On 21 Apr 2005 12:07:42 -0700, jfklein@shaw.ca (Jonathan) wrote:
    >
    > >I am in the market to buy a PDA. Can anyone here tell me what web
    > >sites will give me everything I need to know about them, including
    > >recommendations on specific makes and models?

    > I think the first step is for you to determine why _you_ want to buy a
    > PDA. From that you can derive a list of functions with _your_
    > priorities. You should also decide how well a PDA must perform each of
    > those functions. For example, someone's top priority might be a
    > calendar, and it would only be useful if they could carry it in a
    > shirt pocket and if it were available in less than 2 seconds. Someone
    > else might insist on a combination phone and PDA that can fit in a
    > briefcase and costs less than $200 US.
    >
    > I admit to a heavy bias towards _printed_ material, especially when
    > I'm new to a field. So I recommend buying a related magazine or two
    > (look for names like Pocket PC and Mobile Computing). That will help
    > you become familiar with terms, hardware, features, and costs. You'll
    > also get some leads on web sites.
    >
    > I've seen questions similar to yours at least once a week. So google
    > _will_ help you find threads with answers. But finding a good search
    > string may take some effort, because the question is asked in many
    > ways.
    >

    > >-Jonathan

    > To reply to me, remove the underscores (_) from my email address (and please indicate which newsgroup and message).
    >
    > Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    > PenFact, Inc.
    > 500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
    > Boston, MA 02118
    > www.penfact.com

  4. Re: Need general information about PDAs

    Jonathan wrote:
    > Would you say comp.sys.handhelds is the best news group for
    > information on PDAa, or are there better?

    Try a Palm newsgroup too, to get a balanced response.

    --

    Burning_Ranger

    To email: aziz@aziz1removethispart.fsnet.co.uk

  5. Re: Need general information about PDAs

    I have a general question as well. For internet use on the pda is
    there generally a flat rate per month or there a fee per minute?

  6. Re: Need general information about PDAs

    ienjball@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I have a general question as well. For internet use on the pda is
    > there generally a flat rate per month or there a fee per minute?

    For internet the PDA can be connected to your existing ISP with whatever
    cost that has; it is no different than any other computer. Integrated
    cell phone/PDAs are another matter entirely with the cost depending on
    the charges for web access from the cell phone provider.

  7. Re: Need general information about PDAs

    On 24 Apr 2005 12:10:55 -0700, jfklein@shaw.ca (Jonathan) wrote:

    >Right now the reason I am looking for a PDA is that I want a handheld
    >device that will run spreadsheets. But during my research I will
    >probably come up with more requireemnts.

    Yes, deciding what we want often involves a "Catch 22": we don't know
    what we want until we know it exists, and we don't know something
    exists until we think to look for it.

    >I am curious, why do you favor printed material versus on-line? Do you
    >know if the publications you mentionedcan be viewed on line (if
    >purchased of course)?

    I find printed material much easier to digest. Definitely subject to
    personal preference. At least in my area (Boston, MA), magazines about
    PDAs are easy to find. Certainly in stores. Maybe even in libraries.
    The ones I've seen tend to have stories about how folks use their
    PDAs, and reviews. Thus my bias towards printed is especially strong
    in this case.

    >I realize there is probably a lot of information in the newsgroup
    >archives and on the internet in general on PDAs. The problem is there
    >is too much information, and it is often very time consuming getting
    >to the best sources of the information you want, especially when it is
    >on a topic you are unfamiliar with. This is why I started by posting
    >to the news groups asking for advice on where to start.

    I, at least, think starting with newsgroups is especially likely to
    overwhelm. And asking a broad question in a newsgroup is largely a
    waste of everyone's time. For one thing, similar questions have
    probably been asked before, so a search with google is likely to
    uncover a wider range of answers, more quickly. If you're trying to
    decide what features might be useful for _you_ then asking such a
    question in a newsgroup may well miss the feature(s) most important
    for you. For example, I'm not sure how many folks would list
    spreadsheets as a reason to get a PDA. On the other hand, if you ask
    folks which PDA might be useful for viewing spreadsheets, you might
    get a useful set of answers. You are even more likely to get a
    digestible and usable set of answers if you add more criteria. And
    using google is likely to help you find a newsgroup most appropriate
    for your questions. In other words, I think you will find newsgroups
    far less overwhelming if you stay away from them until you have a
    clearer idea of _your_ criteria.

    When I'm trying to find info on a topic that's new to me, I first
    decide whether to start with printed material or google advanced
    newsgroup (http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search). If the
    topic is large (as in a whole new set of function) or I have a large
    set of options (as in buying a PDA), _and_ I think I know a good
    source of printed info, that will be my first choice. At some point, I
    will almost always use google. My first attempts will most likely turn
    up few useful hits. But looking at the first few hits each time helps
    me develop a better search criteria. After a bit, I will have enough
    leads and terms to let me get real info. If I still have a lot of
    options at that point (as in choosing among many products), I may
    alternate between google and printed. Once in a while, I'll actually
    ask a question, but only when I'm convinced I can ask a clear question
    that's likely to get a useful answer.

    >Would you say comp.sys.handhelds is the best news group for
    >information on PDAa, or are there better?
    >
    >-Jonathan
    >

    >r_z_aret@pen_fact.com wrote in message news:...
    >> On 21 Apr 2005 12:07:42 -0700, jfklein@shaw.ca (Jonathan) wrote:
    >>
    >> >I am in the market to buy a PDA. Can anyone here tell me what web
    >> >sites will give me everything I need to know about them, including
    >> >recommendations on specific makes and models?

    >> I think the first step is for you to determine why _you_ want to buy a
    >> PDA. From that you can derive a list of functions with _your_
    >> priorities. You should also decide how well a PDA must perform each of
    >> those functions. For example, someone's top priority might be a
    >> calendar, and it would only be useful if they could carry it in a
    >> shirt pocket and if it were available in less than 2 seconds. Someone
    >> else might insist on a combination phone and PDA that can fit in a
    >> briefcase and costs less than $200 US.
    >>
    >> I admit to a heavy bias towards _printed_ material, especially when
    >> I'm new to a field. So I recommend buying a related magazine or two
    >> (look for names like Pocket PC and Mobile Computing). That will help
    >> you become familiar with terms, hardware, features, and costs. You'll
    >> also get some leads on web sites.
    >>
    >> I've seen questions similar to yours at least once a week. So google
    >> _will_ help you find threads with answers. But finding a good search
    >> string may take some effort, because the question is asked in many
    >> ways.
    >>

    >> >-Jonathan

    >> To reply to me, remove the underscores (_) from my email address (and please indicate which newsgroup and message).
    >>
    >> Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    >> PenFact, Inc.
    >> 500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
    >> Boston, MA 02118