Which WI-FI card will work with the Hitachi HPW-600 handheld? - Handheld

This is a discussion on Which WI-FI card will work with the Hitachi HPW-600 handheld? - Handheld ; Since the Hitachi HPW-600 has built-in drivers for the Proxim network card I assumed it would work with the Proxim Orinoco Classic PC card but it will not. Has anyone used this handheld to access Wi-FI hotspots and, if so, ...

  1. Which WI-FI card will work with the Hitachi HPW-600 handheld?

    Since the Hitachi HPW-600 has built-in drivers for the Proxim network
    card I assumed it would work with the Proxim Orinoco Classic PC card
    but it will not.

    Has anyone used this handheld to access Wi-FI hotspots and, if so,
    what card did you use?

    G.M. Durrence
    (to reply remove -nospam from address)

  2. Re: Which WI-FI card will work with the Hitachi HPW-600 handheld?

    My HPW 600 is temporarily unavailable (I broke the pin on the power
    supply). So I can't verify for now what I say below.

    On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 18:05:26 -0400, G.M. Durrence
    wrote:

    >Since the Hitachi HPW-600 has built-in drivers for the Proxim network
    >card I assumed it would work with the Proxim Orinoco Classic PC card
    >but it will not.

    I'm quite sure the Proxim drivers are for the RangeLan cards and
    access points. These used a pre-802.11 (proprietary) standard. I
    inherited an access point and 3 PC Cards. I know the cards work well
    in my Casio PA2400. I know they work well in my iPAQ 3600 with PC Card
    sled (although I had to install the drivers.

    >Has anyone used this handheld to access Wi-FI hotspots and, if so,
    >what card did you use?

    I have a PC Card and a CF Card for 802.11. When my HW-600 is useable
    again, I'll try to remember to test. I'll be more likely to remember
    if you send email directly to me.

    (I've found only two sources for power supplies that work with the
    HPW-600. Hitachi charged > $90. I just ordered one for half that from
    MobileMania. Do you know any alternatives?)

    >G.M. Durrence
    >(to reply remove -nospam from address)

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.