PDA purchase for specific use - Handheld

This is a discussion on PDA purchase for specific use - Handheld ; I wanted some advice about buying a PDA, and thought I'd send out my concerns and see what comes back from those more informed than myself. I am looking for a PDA, to which I can attach a foldout (pretty ...

  1. PDA purchase for specific use

    I wanted some advice about buying a PDA, and thought I'd send out my
    concerns and see what comes back from those more informed than myself.

    I am looking for a PDA, to which I can attach a foldout (pretty much
    full sized) keyboard and use as a Word Processor. A simple, harkening
    back to the times of Apple IIe and Brother electric typewriters, Word
    Processor. I would however like the more advanced feature of a spell
    checker xor dictionary if possible.

    I'm looking for this in the cheapest possible package. Searching for
    used models on eBay is probably where I'll end up, and this is find.

    The ability, or future capacity for checking email, text messaging,
    moderate surfing, and the like would be very very nice, but not
    necessary. The above requirement is really the only necessity.

    Look forward to your opinions. Thanks in advance.
    MDC

  2. Re: PDA purchase for specific use

    wrote in message
    news:1112903574.096682.50300@g14g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > I wanted some advice about buying a PDA, and thought I'd send out my
    > concerns and see what comes back from those more informed than myself.
    >
    > I am looking for a PDA, to which I can attach a foldout (pretty much
    > full sized) keyboard and use as a Word Processor. A simple, harkening
    > back to the times of Apple IIe and Brother electric typewriters, Word
    > Processor. I would however like the more advanced feature of a spell
    > checker xor dictionary if possible.
    >
    > I'm looking for this in the cheapest possible package. Searching for
    > used models on eBay is probably where I'll end up, and this is find.
    >
    > The ability, or future capacity for checking email, text messaging,
    > moderate surfing, and the like would be very very nice, but not
    > necessary. The above requirement is really the only necessity.

    I recently bought a Dell Axim X-30. The foldout keyboard is about the same
    size as any laptop. Certainly the same size as my first computer TI-99-4A.

    I have not used the pocket word that is included. I did try a test before
    posting this reply. It will spell check what you highlight but does not
    appear to have the auto spell check feature of WORD.

    The model I bought has bluetooth and wireless connectivity. So internet and
    email are possible.

    I bought mine new and direct from Dell as they were selling for more on Ebay
    than I could buy new for. Dell was having a sale at the time. I did buy
    the Dell keyboard on Ebay for about half the price as it would have been
    from Dell.

    Colbyt

  3. Re: PDA purchase for specific use

    I've got an Asus MyPal a716 with extra battery for sale. $200 US plus
    shipping/ins. You can buy a couple of keyboards for it (I use the Stowaway
    IR keyboard). WiFi and Bluetooth, tough, light, nice screen. Used 4 months
    with screen protector. All manuals, cables and original packaging.

    Skyler

    wrote in message
    news:1112903574.096682.50300@g14g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > I wanted some advice about buying a PDA, and thought I'd send out my
    > concerns and see what comes back from those more informed than myself.
    >
    > I am looking for a PDA, to which I can attach a foldout (pretty much
    > full sized) keyboard and use as a Word Processor. A simple, harkening
    > back to the times of Apple IIe and Brother electric typewriters, Word
    > Processor. I would however like the more advanced feature of a spell
    > checker xor dictionary if possible.
    >
    > I'm looking for this in the cheapest possible package. Searching for
    > used models on eBay is probably where I'll end up, and this is find.
    >
    > The ability, or future capacity for checking email, text messaging,
    > moderate surfing, and the like would be very very nice, but not
    > necessary. The above requirement is really the only necessity.
    >

    > Look forward to your opinions. Thanks in advance.
    > MDC

+ Reply to Thread