How to stop Messaging checking email? - Handheld

This is a discussion on How to stop Messaging checking email? - Handheld ; I'm having a problem with Messaging on my iPAQ hx4700. I have one POP email account is set up, and that has the option to "Connect and check for messages every:" unchecked. Despite this, it still seems to connect and ...

  1. How to stop Messaging checking email?

    I'm having a problem with Messaging on my iPAQ hx4700.

    I have one POP email account is set up, and that has the option to
    "Connect and check for messages every:" unchecked. Despite this, it
    still seems to connect and retrieve waiting email each time I put the
    iPAQ in its cradle.

    I can't see any settings in ActiveSync or elsewhere that might affect
    this. Is there some other setting that could be causing this to
    happen?

    Chris

  2. Re: How to stop Messaging checking email?

    It is like this by definition. Move it to Outlook Messaging before you put
    it on the craddle and then it won't bother you.

    Helio Diamant - MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
    Editor-in-Chief
    Pocket PC Freak - The Hebrew Pocket PC site
    http://www.pocketpcfreak.com
    "Chris Blunt" wrote in message
    > I'm having a problem with Messaging on my iPAQ hx4700.
    >
    > I have one POP email account is set up, and that has the option to
    > "Connect and check for messages every:" unchecked. Despite this, it
    > still seems to connect and retrieve waiting email each time I put the
    > iPAQ in its cradle.
    >
    > I can't see any settings in ActiveSync or elsewhere that might affect
    > this. Is there some other setting that could be causing this to
    > happen?
    >
    > Chris

  3. Re: How to stop Messaging checking email?

    One way to do it is to select your activsync mail account before placing it
    in the cradle. I've had this happen when I have my work e-mail account
    selected and cradle my device. When I come back I see vpn errors cause the
    devices was trying to retrieve my work mail.

    rights...

    "Chris Blunt" wrote in message
    > I'm having a problem with Messaging on my iPAQ hx4700.
    >
    > I have one POP email account is set up, and that has the option to
    > "Connect and check for messages every:" unchecked. Despite this, it
    > still seems to connect and retrieve waiting email each time I put the
    > iPAQ in its cradle.
    >
    > I can't see any settings in ActiveSync or elsewhere that might affect
    > this. Is there some other setting that could be causing this to
    > happen?
    >
    > Chris

  4. Re: How to stop Messaging checking email?

    On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 14:29:47 +0300, "Helio Diamant - MS-MVP/Mobile
    Devices" wrote:

    >It is like this by definition. Move it to Outlook Messaging before you put
    >it on the craddle and then it won't bother you.
    >
    >--
    >************************************************** ******
    >Helio Diamant - MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
    >Editor-in-Chief
    >Pocket PC Freak - The Hebrew Pocket PC site
    >http://www.pocketpcfreak.com
    >************************************************** ******

    Many thanks to you and Eric for the workaround tip.

    Chris

    >"Chris Blunt" wrote in message
    >> I'm having a problem with Messaging on my iPAQ hx4700.
    >>
    >> I have one POP email account is set up, and that has the option to
    >> "Connect and check for messages every:" unchecked. Despite this, it
    >> still seems to connect and retrieve waiting email each time I put the
    >> iPAQ in its cradle.
    >>
    >> I can't see any settings in ActiveSync or elsewhere that might affect
    >> this. Is there some other setting that could be causing this to
    >> happen?
    >>
    >> Chris

  5. Re: How to stop Messaging checking email?

    "Eric Hicks [MVP]" wrote in message
    > One way to do it is to select your activsync mail account before placing

    it
    > in the cradle. I've had this happen when I have my work e-mail account
    > selected and cradle my device. When I come back I see vpn errors cause

    the
    > devices was trying to retrieve my work mail.
    >
    > --
    > --
    > Eric Hicks [That_Kid] (MS-MVP Mobile Devices)

    > rights...

    Eric-

    I too had this question a few days ago, and yours and Helio's answers
    certainly work (i.e., put Messaging into Outlook E-mail mode before
    cradling/synching). But I'd still like to know why the software is
    "designed" this way. I don't see why a mail account you've set up to
    send/receive email directly via WiFi on the handheld insists on connecting
    "by any means necessary" (the USB ActiveSync connection) simply because
    you've started an ActiveSync. Or, at least, you should be able to turn that
    behavior on/off. Anyway, thanks again for offering this solution.

    Fr@nk

+ Reply to Thread