PSP-2 already in R&D as are PSP revisions - Handheld

This is a discussion on PSP-2 already in R&D as are PSP revisions - Handheld ; > > > first of all, Sony has several PSP revisions in the works. these will > obviously have longer lasting batteries, but also lower power consumption > thanks to chip-process shrinkage. current PSP chipset is on 90nm (0.090 > ...

  1. PSP-2 already in R&D as are PSP revisions

    > first of all, Sony has several PSP revisions in the works. these will
    > obviously have longer lasting batteries, but also lower power consumption
    > thanks to chip-process shrinkage. current PSP chipset is on 90nm (0.090
    > micron), the next PSP chipset will be on 65nm (0.065 micron).
    >
    > the stronger-better-longer lasting batteries and less power-hungry chipset
    > will combine to result
    > in playtime that lasts 2 to 4 times longer than current PSPs, in any given
    > application.
    >
    > Sony is working on other PSP variants also. Already mentioned in several
    > articles is a PSP with a harddrive. other PSP derivatives are in the

    works
    > also. some with lower cost screens, others with higher quality screens.
    > some with better audio output. some of these will reach the marketplace,
    > some will not.
    >

    > besides continued development on the current-generation PlayStation
    > Portable, Sony has also begun R&D on next-generation PSP technology. Now,

    > PSP-2 will not see the light of day for YEARS though--at least 6-7 years.
    > but
    > one thing is almost certain, the PSP-2 will use Cell technology. lower
    > power and smaller Cells than what is going
    > into the PlayStation 3 console. Cell was architected to be able to be

    used
    > in PDAs and even mobile phones. If that
    > is the case, a PSP-2 which going by the size of the current PSP, is much
    > larger than a mobile phone, then certainly a PSP-2 would be a good

    candidate
    > for Cell processors with high performance and low-power utilization.
    >
    > PSP-2 will be able to technologicaly knock out any potential "Xboy"
    > handheld from Microsoft, say if MS decides to launch one that is superior

    > PSP-1 in the next 3-5 years, as well as future GameBoys (or a DS 2) from
    > Nintendo.

  2. Re: PSP-2 already in R&D as are PSP revisions

    "X68K Guy" wrote in message

    >> first of all, Sony has several PSP revisions in the works. these will
    >> obviously have longer lasting batteries, but also lower power consumption
    >> thanks to chip-process shrinkage. current PSP chipset is on 90nm (0.090
    >> micron), the next PSP chipset will be on 65nm (0.065 micron).
    >>
    >> the stronger-better-longer lasting batteries and less power-hungry
    >> chipset
    >> will combine to result
    >> in playtime that lasts 2 to 4 times longer than current PSPs, in any
    >> given
    >> application.
    >>
    >> Sony is working on other PSP variants also. Already mentioned in several
    >> articles is a PSP with a harddrive. other PSP derivatives are in the

    > works
    >> also. some with lower cost screens, others with higher quality screens.
    >> some with better audio output. some of these will reach the marketplace,
    >> some will not.
    >>

    >> besides continued development on the current-generation PlayStation
    >> Portable, Sony has also begun R&D on next-generation PSP technology. Now,

    >> PSP-2 will not see the light of day for YEARS though--at least 6-7 years.
    >> but
    >> one thing is almost certain, the PSP-2 will use Cell technology. lower
    >> power and smaller Cells than what is going
    >> into the PlayStation 3 console. Cell was architected to be able to be

    > used
    >> in PDAs and even mobile phones. If that
    >> is the case, a PSP-2 which going by the size of the current PSP, is much
    >> larger than a mobile phone, then certainly a PSP-2 would be a good

    > candidate
    >> for Cell processors with high performance and low-power utilization.
    >>
    >> PSP-2 will be able to technologicaly knock out any potential "Xboy"
    >> handheld from Microsoft, say if MS decides to launch one that is superior

    >> PSP-1 in the next 3-5 years, as well as future GameBoys (or a DS 2) from
    >> Nintendo.

    Source please?

  3. Re: PSP-2 already in R&D as are PSP revisions

    "X68K Guy" wrote in message

    >> first of all, Sony has several PSP revisions in the works. these will
    >> obviously have longer lasting batteries, but also lower power consumption
    >> thanks to chip-process shrinkage. current PSP chipset is on 90nm (0.090
    >> micron), the next PSP chipset will be on 65nm (0.065 micron).
    >>
    >> the stronger-better-longer lasting batteries and less power-hungry
    >> chipset
    >> will combine to result
    >> in playtime that lasts 2 to 4 times longer than current PSPs, in any
    >> given
    >> application.

    This article confirms what anyone into technology already knows...progress
    is inevitable. When I got my 9800 Pro video card back in the summer of
    2003, I knew that something better was only months away. However, if you
    allow yourself to get caught up in thoughts like that, you'll never buy
    anything. There's always something new a better on the horizon, no matter
    when you buy.

+ Reply to Thread