Wi-Fi in the UK - Handheld

This is a discussion on Wi-Fi in the UK - Handheld ; Hi all, I have been reading a bit about Wi-Fi 'hotzones' over here in the UK with interest. I am soon to purchase a Wi-Fi enabled PDA and I am curious to find if there is any cost involved in ...

  1. Wi-Fi in the UK

    Hi all,

    I have been reading a bit about Wi-Fi 'hotzones' over here in the UK
    with interest. I am soon to purchase a Wi-Fi enabled PDA and I am
    curious to find if there is any cost involved in using your PDA in a
    hotzone, if so, how do you pay? How much does it cost?
    Or are they free? (Yeah right!)

    Also, would I be able to access the internet on my PDA (in a Wi-Fi
    hotzone) simply by using the same info (i.e. username & password)I use
    to log on to my broadband ISP on my desktop PC?

    Thanks in advance for any assistance given!

    Regards

    Blakey

    To contact me direct, remove 'SPAMFREE' from address.

  2. Re: Wi-Fi in the UK

    Wed, 23 Mar 2005 06:43:47 +0000, Blakey:

    > Hi all,
    > Also, would I be able to access the internet on my PDA (in a Wi-Fi
    > hotzone) simply by using the same info (i.e. username & password)I use
    > to log on to my broadband ISP on my desktop PC?

    No, I don't think so. These "Hotzones" are access points to a network.
    This is like a normal LAN. Either there are no limitations or you must
    log in as a user that has been setup within this network. That's why
    private networks are advised to activate either WEP-encryption or MAC
    filter (or both), so noone can use their network.

    > Blakey

    Frank
    --
    Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."

  3. Re: Wi-Fi in the UK

    Blakey wrote:
    > I have been reading a bit about Wi-Fi 'hotzones' over here in the UK
    > with interest. I am soon to purchase a Wi-Fi enabled PDA and I am
    > curious to find if there is any cost involved in using your PDA in a
    > hotzone, if so, how do you pay? How much does it cost?
    > Or are they free? (Yeah right!)

    Here's the page for the BT zones http://www.btopenzone.com/index.jsp

    There's also t-mobile and thecloud and probably others; all
    with a variety of pricing plans and hotspot locations.

    Personally, I find the cost a little too high to pay for what
    would almost always be some pointless faffing about on the web
    with a tiny screen whilst drinking some coffee.

    #Paul

  4. Re: Wi-Fi in the UK

    Paul Kinsler wrote:
    > Blakey wrote:
    >
    >>I have been reading a bit about Wi-Fi 'hotzones' over here in the UK
    >>with interest. I am soon to purchase a Wi-Fi enabled PDA and I am
    >>curious to find if there is any cost involved in using your PDA in a
    >>hotzone, if so, how do you pay? How much does it cost?
    >>Or are they free? (Yeah right!)

    > Here's the page for the BT zones http://www.btopenzone.com/index.jsp
    >
    > There's also t-mobile and thecloud and probably others; all
    > with a variety of pricing plans and hotspot locations.
    >
    > Personally, I find the cost a little too high to pay for what
    > would almost always be some pointless faffing about on the web
    > with a tiny screen whilst drinking some coffee.
    >

    > #Paul

    Paul & Frank,

    Thanks very much for the help guys, most useful.

    Another question for you though, sorry to be a pain.

    The PDA that I intend to buy will be both bluetooth & Wi-Fi able. If I
    wanted to access the internet on my PDA, at home via my desktop PC's
    internet connection (broadband,) would I be better off buying a
    Bluetooth or a Wi-Fi USB dongle?

    Thanks in advance, much appreciated.

    Regards

    Blakey

    To contact me direct, remove 'SPAMFREE' from address.

+ Reply to Thread