Microsoft SQLCE 2.0 incompatible with PocketPC OS ver 4.20 - Handheld

This is a discussion on Microsoft SQLCE 2.0 incompatible with PocketPC OS ver 4.20 - Handheld ; I have been working with Compaq's PDA with Windows OS 3.0.11171. I can install Windows SQLCE 2.0 developed by a vendor on it without any hitch. But recently I tried to install the same Microsoft SQLCE 2.0 on a Symbol ...

  1. Microsoft SQLCE 2.0 incompatible with PocketPC OS ver 4.20

    I have been working with Compaq's PDA with Windows OS 3.0.11171.
    I can install Windows SQLCE 2.0 developed by a vendor on it without any
    hitch.

    But recently I tried to install the same Microsoft SQLCE 2.0 on a
    Symbol PDA which has Windows OS ver 4.20.1081 build 13100 on it. I got
    an error message : The program is not compatible with the current OS
    and therefore may not run on the device.

    If I still choose to install it, it does get installed but some
    subsequent applications don't, and I wonder whether that is because of
    the warning about SQLCE 2.0 incompatibility. At any rate, I would like
    to know how to be able to develop and install MS SQLCE 2.0 across
    multiple OS versions.

    I would be grateful for any advice.

  2. Re: Microsoft SQLCE 2.0 incompatible with PocketPC OS ver 4.20

    Which Symbol device? We use a few of them (PDT8100, PPT8800, and MC50) and
    have no trouble with SQLCE 2.0, even when running on a device that is using
    the latest Mobile 2003 SE. My guess is that SQLCE 2.0 is not what the
    complaint is about... could it be complaining about the "vendors" software
    and not SQLCE 2.0?

    James

  3. Re: Microsoft SQLCE 2.0 incompatible with PocketPC OS ver 4.20

    > Which Symbol device? We use a few of them (PDT8100, PPT8800, and

    MC50) and
    > have no trouble with SQLCE 2.0, even when running on a device that is

    using
    > the latest Mobile 2003 SE. My guess is that SQLCE 2.0 is not what

    the
    > complaint is about... could it be complaining about the "vendors"

    software
    > and not SQLCE 2.0?

    I am using Symbol MC 9060 (pxa 255 processor).

    Quite independent of the vendor's software, I do get a warning about
    incompatibility when I try to install MS SQL CE 2.0 on the PDA.

    Is this URL relevant here :
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=h...ticle%3D290311

    It says : "A database created on a Windows CE 2.0 device cannot be used
    on a Windows CE 3.0 device, and vice versa."

    ----

  4. Re: Microsoft SQLCE 2.0 incompatible with PocketPC OS ver 4.20

    Ok, so it is SQLCE 2.0 that is being complained about. (I have not used the
    MC9060.) I don't think the complaint is about an actual database (a .SDF
    file) being created on one OS version and being used on another. Perhaps
    you'll get a better response posting to the microsoft.public..sqlserver.ce
    newsgroup. I'm using SQLCE 2.0 on all the available OS's and get no
    complaint. Sorry I couldn't help...

    James

  5. Re: Microsoft SQLCE 2.0 incompatible with PocketPC OS ver 4.20

    dnp- [28 Feb 2005 14:31:30 -0800]:
    >an error message : The program is not compatible with the current OS
    >and therefore may not run on the device.

    That sounds like the typical CAB installer message. It
    has to do with resolution and orientation.

    >I would be grateful for any advice.

    Ever seen that early Simpson's short, where Homer times
    their run down to the basement bomb shelter, where
    everyone is scared witless because Homer made it sound
    like WWIII (the bombs are falling)? That's what you're
    looking at. Abort, Retry, Ignore? Ignore.

    --
    40th Floor - Software @ http://40th.com/
    iPlay : the ultimate audio player for PPCs

  6. Re: Microsoft SQLCE 2.0 incompatible with PocketPC OS ver 4.20

    That's great to know. We don't use a CAB style install; we have a
    proprietary device instal that copies files and registers them, so we never
    see that message.

    James

+ Reply to Thread