User experiences please: SL-860/3000, OQO, P1120, U50/71P - Handheld

This is a discussion on User experiences please: SL-860/3000, OQO, P1120, U50/71P - Handheld ; Note: Crossposted to comp.sys.psion.misc, but follow-ups set to comp.sys.handhelds. Sorry if this annoys anyone too much. This is (hopefully) not just another "which handheld should I buy" topic; rather, I'm looking for any "real-life" experiences from people who've used the ...

  1. User experiences please: SL-860/3000, OQO, P1120, U50/71P

    Note: Crossposted to comp.sys.psion.misc, but follow-ups set to
    comp.sys.handhelds. Sorry if this annoys anyone too much.

    This is (hopefully) not just another "which handheld should I buy" topic;
    rather, I'm looking for any "real-life" experiences from people who've used
    the machines below (or anything similar) -- things like "It's OK, but the
    xxx becomes really annoying", or "xxx feature is absolutely wonderful".
    Thanks in advance to any responders.

    I'm currently using a Psion 5mx. Very happy with it, but there are things
    it can't do, and it won't last forever. At the moment, I'm looking at two
    areas: a PDA and ultra-compact PCs.

    One of the most important features that originally attracted me to Psions
    was the ability to "self program" on them: with OPL, you not only have a
    fairly powerful language, but you can develop on the device itself. You
    don't _have_ to work with a PC-based SDK.

    Sticking with a PDA-type device, there's:

    Sharp Zaurus SL-C860/C3000

    Only available by import to the UK (has anyone had particularly bad
    experiences doing this?). Given that it's Linux-based, you can probably
    "self-program" by loading gcc, but what else is there? Are there any
    packages that are "OPL-like" that either come with the machine or are
    freely available?

    (OPL, if not known: basic-like syntax; can easily use dialog boxes, menus
    etc., can be extended with OPXs (similar to DLLs). Very handy for simple
    "knock together" apps, but can handle some quite serious programming if
    needed).

    The other route I'm considering is a more portable Windows PC than a
    laptop; the ones that have caught my eye are:

    OQO Ultra Portable Notebooks
    Fujitsu LifeBook P1120
    Sony VAIO VGN-U50/U71P

    Programming-wise I can use VB/VC or pretty much anything else that I could
    on a desktop PC, so the main questions are how "handicapped" they are by
    their smaller size? What are their keyboards like? Obviously the Sony has
    a separate keyboard, so cannot be used stood up on the train as the others
    look like they can. How well _can_ the OQO or the P1120 be used on the
    move?

    Again, thanks for all responses. If you don't want to clutter the ng, feel
    free to email me.

    Regards,

  2. Re: User experiences please: SL-860/3000, OQO, P1120, U50/71P

    Graham Holden wrote:
    > I'm currently using a Psion 5mx. Very happy with it, but there are things
    > it can't do, and it won't last forever. At the moment, I'm looking at two
    > areas: a PDA and ultra-compact PCs.
    >
    > One of the most important features that originally attracted me to Psions
    > was the ability to "self program" on them: with OPL, you not only have a
    > fairly powerful language, but you can develop on the device itself. You
    > don't _have_ to work with a PC-based SDK.

    You can install the correponding sdk on all device you quoted in your post.

    > Sticking with a PDA-type device, there's:
    >
    > Sharp Zaurus SL-C860/C3000
    >
    > Only available by import to the UK (has anyone had particularly bad
    > experiences doing this?). Given that it's Linux-based, you can probably
    > "self-program" by loading gcc, but what else is there? Are there any
    > packages that are "OPL-like" that either come with the machine or are
    > freely available?

    gcc + python + perl + whatever you can compile for Linux ARM. Most old Psion
    5mx users don't like Qtopia (the Sharp UI) nor the Qtopia default
    applications design, nor the synchronisation tools. As a programmer, I like
    the Trolltech Qt toolkit but dislike the corresponding PDA sdk. There is a
    too big gap between programming for Windows Mobile (VB, .NET, VCC...) and
    programming for Linux PDA when they run Qtopia.

    If you can install Linux on a PC, get Qtopia source code and have a look
    before buying. It's easier to start programming in C++ for Zaurus than for
    Symbian device thought (as long as you don't need something too complicated
    requiring something else than Qt).

    > (OPL, if not known: basic-like syntax; can easily use dialog boxes, menus
    > etc., can be extended with OPXs (similar to DLLs). Very handy for simple
    > "knock together" apps, but can handle some quite serious programming if
    > needed).

    You will perhaps like Python. It's more powerful than OPL. It doen't have a
    very cool editor (no WYSIWYG editor) but OPL didn't have one too. And you
    will certainly need to build it yourself (I mean to compile one from
    source)

    > The other route I'm considering is a more portable Windows PC than a
    > laptop; the ones that have caught my eye are:
    >
    > OQO Ultra Portable Notebooks

    Good. Not very fast but fast enough. As fast as most Windows XP tablet I
    think. Enough memory to run VB or VCC. I like it but it is too expensive.

    > Fujitsu LifeBook P1120

    Good. Not very fast but fast enough. As fast as most Windows XP tablet I
    think. Bigger. Enough memory to run VB or VCC. Better keyboard for typing
    with two hands.

    > Sony VAIO VGN-U50/U71P

    External usb keyboard
    Never tested

    --
    ,,,
    (._.)

  3. Re: User experiences please: SL-860/3000, OQO, P1120, U50/71P

    Captain's log. On StarDate Thu, 24 Feb 2005 13:21:32 +0000 received comm from
    Graham Holden on channel comp.sys.psion.misc:

    :
    : OQO Ultra Portable Notebooks
    : Fujitsu LifeBook P1120
    : Sony VAIO VGN-U50/U71P

    Sorry, I have not used this machine, but migth be worth concidering and asking
    other people who have used it:

    http://www.dialogue.com.tw/english-f.../product01.htm
    http://www.lionscomputers.com/Flybook_zoom.jpg

    martin törnsten

    --
    martinot@gmail.com

  4. Re: User experiences please: SL-860/3000, OQO, P1120, U50/71P

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 10:12:51 +0100, Martin Törnsten
    wrote:

    >Captain's log. On StarDate Thu, 24 Feb 2005 13:21:32 +0000 received comm from
    >Graham Holden on channel comp.sys.psion.misc:
    >
    >: The other route I'm considering is a more portable Windows PC than a
    >: laptop; the ones that have caught my eye are:
    >:
    >: OQO Ultra Portable Notebooks
    >: Fujitsu LifeBook P1120
    >: Sony VAIO VGN-U50/U71P
    >
    >Sorry, I have not used this machine, but migth be worth concidering and asking
    >other people who have used it:
    >
    >http://www.dialogue.com.tw/english-f.../product01.htm
    >http://www.lionscomputers.com/Flybook_zoom.jpg
    >
    >martin törnsten

    Thanks (and also to AM Christophe for your reply).

    Regards,

  5. Re: User experiences please: SL-860/3000, OQO, P1120, U50/71P

    I have 2 of the fujitsu p1120s (one for my wife), and they kick ass! Had
    them for over a year and a half now. With the extended battery I get about
    7 actual work hours out of one. The touch screen works great (use overhead
    transparencies for screen protectors) and they're pretty tough: I was moving
    one in my study, holding it up high so that the power cord could reach around
    the corner of the desk and I had completely forgotten about the ceiling fan,
    which hit the screen, knocked it from my hand, across the room, where it
    crashed to the hardwood floor. It was on when this happened. Keys flew off
    of the keyboard. The touch screen doesn't work any longer, but everything
    else still works great! best laptops I'v ever had. Light & small too.
    nate

    In message , Martin T?rnsten
    wrote:
    Captain's log. On StarDate Thu, 24 Feb 2005 13:21:32 +0000 received comm from
    Graham Holden on channel comp.sys.psion.misc:

    : The other route I'm considering is a more portable Windows PC than a
    : laptop; the ones that have caught my eye are:
    :
    : OQO Ultra Portable Notebooks
    : Fujitsu LifeBook P1120
    : Sony VAIO VGN-U50/U71P

    Sorry, I have not used this machine, but migth be worth concidering and asking
    other people who have used it:

    http://www.dialogue.com.tw/english-f.../product01.htm
    http://www.lionscomputers.com/Flybook_zoom.jpg

    martin t?rnsten