Question: Developing Peripheral Device for PDA using USB vs SDIO interface? - Handheld

This is a discussion on Question: Developing Peripheral Device for PDA using USB vs SDIO interface? - Handheld ; I'd like to get a better understanding what's the capability of the USB interface on the PDA. As far as I know people use this USB interface to sync the data between the PDA and the PC. Here is the ...

  1. Question: Developing Peripheral Device for PDA using USB vs SDIO interface?

    I'd like to get a better understanding what's the capability of the USB
    interface on the PDA.
    As far as I know people use this USB interface to sync the data between the
    PDA and the PC.

    Here is the situation that I am facing right now...

    We'd like to develop a peripheral device similar to wireless LAN card, and I
    proposed to our lead engineer to use SDIO interface (make SDIO peripheral
    device and connect the device to the PDA via SD slot). But he suggested and
    insisted to build the peripheral device using USB OTG (multi-role USB), and
    connect the device to the PDA via USB interface.

    I don't think his idea will work. What do you think? If this idea won't
    work, why? If it will work, what's the advantages/disadvantages making the
    peripheral device using USB OTG interface vs SDIO interface?

  2. Re: Question: Developing Peripheral Device for PDA using USB vs SDIO interface?

    Skyrocket wrote:

    > I'd like to get a better understanding what's the capability of the USB
    > interface on the PDA.
    > As far as I know people use this USB interface to sync the data between
    > the PDA and the PC.
    >
    > Here is the situation that I am facing right now...
    >
    > We'd like to develop a peripheral device similar to wireless LAN card, and
    > I proposed to our lead engineer to use SDIO interface (make SDIO
    > peripheral device and connect the device to the PDA via SD slot). But he
    > suggested and insisted to build the peripheral device using USB OTG
    > (multi-role USB), and connect the device to the PDA via USB interface.
    >
    > I don't think his idea will work. What do you think? If this idea won't
    > work, why? If it will work, what's the advantages/disadvantages making the
    > peripheral device using USB OTG interface vs SDIO interface?

    _ to program the SDIO interface you need to buy a licence (for the
    specification...).

    _ Only recent PDA have USB master and will be able to manage USB client
    device. The only device I know of are the Sharp Zaurus SL-C3000 (Japan),
    the Cassiopeia E-200 (not so new), the Archos PMA 400... and perhaps other.

    _ USB cable and connectors are not the same between PDA so you will get into
    trouble if you need to support more than one device or if the manufacturer
    stop producing it. Only the SL-C3000 and the Archos PMA 400 use a standard
    mini USB connector. The Cassiopeia E-200 USB connector was on the PCMCIA
    jacket or on the docking station (and PPC2002 doesn't have USB master
    drivers build in).

    _ with USB interface, your device will be compatible with all kind of PC,
    from PC laptop to Mac G5. With SDIO, you loose a big part of the market and
    don't forget that new memory card formats are coming.

    I stop my brain storming here. Need to eat something. Good luck.
    --
    ,,,
    (._.)

  3. Re: Question: Developing Peripheral Device for PDA using USB vs SDIO interface?

    I forgot the size of the device if using external USB connector intead of
    SDIO card reader slot.

    --
    ,,,
    (._.)

  4. Re: Question: Developing Peripheral Device for PDA using USB vs SDIO interface?

    Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it!
    Actually the idea is to use PDA as the USB slave, and the peripheral
    device as the USB host.

    The device will have USB OTG chip in it, so when it's connected to the
    PC, it will become slave, but when it's connected to the PDA, it will
    become master.

    Is this possible???

    Regards,
    JS

    AM Christophe wrote:
    > I forgot the size of the device if using external USB connector

    intead of
    > SDIO card reader slot.
    >
    > --
    > ,,,
    > (._.)
    > /|\+\\
    > \|/ @u(==-

  5. Re: Question: Developing Peripheral Device for PDA using USB vs SDIO interface?

    jhsetyo@gmail.com wrote:

    > Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it!
    > Actually the idea is to use PDA as the USB slave, and the peripheral
    > device as the USB host.
    >
    > The device will have USB OTG chip in it, so when it's connected to the
    > PC, it will become slave, but when it's connected to the PDA, it will
    > become master.
    >
    > Is this possible???

    The Zaurus SL-C3000 works like this for example.

    Other issues are software related.

    --
    ,,,
    (._.)