Ok to leave my 2210 charging in the cradle all day? - Handheld

This is a discussion on Ok to leave my 2210 charging in the cradle all day? - Handheld ; Hi I ahve been told that its bad to have laptops, mobiles etc left plugged into ac power al day. will my ipaq 2210 battery be damaged if i have it in the cradle all day being synced and charged? ...

  1. Ok to leave my 2210 charging in the cradle all day?

    Hi I ahve been told that its bad to have laptops, mobiles etc left
    plugged into ac power al day. will my ipaq 2210 battery be damaged if
    i have it in the cradle all day being synced and charged?

    Wat do others do?

    thanks
    Steve

  2. Re: Ok to leave my 2210 charging in the cradle all day?

    On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:02:00 -0800, steved wrote:

    > Hi I ahve been told that its bad to have laptops, mobiles etc left
    > plugged into ac power al day. will my ipaq 2210 battery be damaged if
    > i have it in the cradle all day being synced and charged?
    >
    > Wat do others do?
    >
    > thanks
    > Steve

    The official line on batteries is this:

    NiCd--Gets memory easily and is easily damaged(loses capacity) by
    overcharging

    NiMH--Doesn't get memory(or is almost impossible to get) but still has
    overcharge issues(depends who you ask)

    Li-Ion--No memory,no overcharge issues(actually almost all Li-Ion have
    smart chargers to avoid it) but over-discharge can cause capacity loss.
    Discharge monthly to recalibrate.

    In My experience as someone who deals with lots of dead batteries

    NiCd--Gets memory, can lose capacity overcharging, but mainly only with
    fast-charge. Capacity is easily recovered with complete
    discharge(constant resistive load) and recharge(Calling it regeneration
    because I forgot the market-speak.)

    NiMH--Rarely gets memory, but more susceptible to fast-charge(full
    capacity in 1-2hours) capacity loss. Not as good a candidate for
    regeneration, but it can be done.

    Li-Ion--No memory, fast charge isn't an issue, but seems to lose capacity
    more quickly with frequent low-range discharge-charge cycles(leaving ON on
    the charger all the time) discharge fully or mostly every few charge
    cycles to avoid problems. Cannot be regenerated as easily(or at all?)
    due to supposed low-charge problems.

+ Reply to Thread