HH for business application: 128Mb+, Keypad, PPC2003, semi-rugged. *** Suggestions? - Handheld

This is a discussion on HH for business application: 128Mb+, Keypad, PPC2003, semi-rugged. *** Suggestions? - Handheld ; I have a commercial application that runs under PPC2003, that must have 128Mb RAM or more. A keypad with direction (up/dn/l/r) and numeric keys is essential for data entry. Although not an industrial environment (the users are sales reps), the ...

  1. HH for business application: 128Mb+, Keypad, PPC2003, semi-rugged. *** Suggestions?

    I have a commercial application that runs under PPC2003, that must have
    128Mb RAM or more. A keypad with direction (up/dn/l/r) and numeric keys
    is essential for data entry.
    Although not an industrial environment (the users are sales reps), the
    devices could be dropped from time to time. Ruggedised devices seem a
    bit OTT for this, apart from being 2-4 times more expensive.
    Connectivity is needed via GSM and one of {GPRS/WiFi}.

    Oh, and integral scanners and/or cameras would be nice-to-have.

    First off, what's a realistic price (range) per unit for such a device?

    Can anyone suggest appropriate devices/manufacturers?

    Currently looking at Symbol/Intermec, apart from more common HP/Fujitsu
    PDAs.

  2. Re: HH for business application: 128Mb+, Keypad, PPC2003, semi-rugged. *** Suggestions?

    On 21 Feb 2005 10:06:51 -0800, "AlterMyEgo"
    wrote:

    >I have a commercial application that runs under PPC2003, that must have
    >128Mb RAM or more. A keypad with direction (up/dn/l/r) and numeric keys
    >is essential for data entry.
    >Although not an industrial environment (the users are sales reps), the
    >devices could be dropped from time to time. Ruggedised devices seem a
    >bit OTT for this, apart from being 2-4 times more expensive.
    >Connectivity is needed via GSM and one of {GPRS/WiFi}.
    >
    >Oh, and integral scanners and/or cameras would be nice-to-have.
    >
    >First off, what's a realistic price (range) per unit for such a device?
    >
    >Can anyone suggest appropriate devices/manufacturers?

    HHP (Handheld Products) make several devices that have a 2D
    scanner/camera built in. Most are definitely industrial, but I think
    they have a new line of smaller devices that might be less expensive.

    For info in HHP and others, check:

    1) 3-4 Dec 2003 thread called "Pocket PC with Barcode Scanner" in
    microsoft.public.pocketpc

    2) 29 Apr 2004 thread called "Devices with wireless lan..." in
    microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer

    3) 6-8 Jan 2004 thread called "PPC with inbuilt camera" in
    microsoft.public.pocketpc

    >Currently looking at Symbol/Intermec, apart from more common HP/Fujitsu
    >PDAs.

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
    Boston, MA 02118
    www.penfact.com

  3. Re: HH for business application: 128Mb+, Keypad, PPC2003, semi-rugged. *** Suggestions?

    Thanks for the response, Robert.
    I notice from your suggestion that HHP do a pretty good Dolphin
    handheld that might fit the bill. Will investigate further.

+ Reply to Thread