Yoghurt drinks in an IPAQ - Handheld

This is a discussion on Yoghurt drinks in an IPAQ - Handheld ; Hi there, I've had a bit of an unfortuante incident with a yoghurt type drink in my handbag - where my IPAQ 2200 was. I thought that it had only reached the very top surface of the PDA, and it ...

  1. Yoghurt drinks in an IPAQ

    Hi there,

    I've had a bit of an unfortuante incident with a yoghurt type drink in
    my handbag - where my IPAQ 2200 was. I thought that it had only
    reached the very top surface of the PDA, and it turned on happily to
    start with, but then i realised that the bit where the stylus is
    stored was filled with yoghurt-y gunk. Net result is that the thing
    wont turn on anymore, and i can see that there is gunk behind the
    power button and the "itask" button at the right hand side.

    Anybody know if this is likely to be rescuable? And anywhere in the
    UK that might be able to do it, I'm guessing its not something i'm
    gonna be able to fix myself? I have tried obvious stuff like resets.

    Thanks!

    Ruth

  2. Re: Yoghurt drinks in an IPAQ

    Ren79 wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > I've had a bit of an unfortuante incident with a yoghurt type drink in
    > my handbag - where my IPAQ 2200 was. I thought that it had only
    > reached the very top surface of the PDA, and it turned on happily to
    > start with, but then i realised that the bit where the stylus is
    > stored was filled with yoghurt-y gunk. Net result is that the thing
    > wont turn on anymore, and i can see that there is gunk behind the
    > power button and the "itask" button at the right hand side.
    >
    > Anybody know if this is likely to be rescuable? And anywhere in the
    > UK that might be able to do it, I'm guessing its not something i'm
    > gonna be able to fix myself? I have tried obvious stuff like resets.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Ruth

    Remove battery and case; clean with a soft brush with ordinary water with
    a timy amount of dish washing-up liquid. When clean, rinse with de-ionized
    water and let dry thoroughly at a warm place, eg. above a radiator.
    Be careful because of fragile components.
    Afrer re-assembling, follow hard-reset and restore from backup
    instructions as found in the user manual.
    Success.

    --
    Veel plezier / Have fun
    Bert

    Mail via hccnet.nl

  3. Re: Yoghurt drinks in an IPAQ

    "Ren79" schreef in bericht
    news:6b8c9abd.0502110457.2fb303a2@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I've had a bit of an unfortuante incident with a yoghurt type drink in
    > my handbag - where my IPAQ 2200 was. I thought that it had only
    > reached the very top surface of the PDA, and it turned on happily to
    > start with, but then i realised that the bit where the stylus is
    > stored was filled with yoghurt-y gunk. Net result is that the thing
    > wont turn on anymore, and i can see that there is gunk behind the
    > power button and the "itask" button at the right hand side.
    >
    > Anybody know if this is likely to be rescuable? And anywhere in the
    > UK that might be able to do it, I'm guessing its not something i'm
    > gonna be able to fix myself? I have tried obvious stuff like resets.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Ruth

    Your ipaq is beyond repair. It's dead forever
    Yogurt drinks are sour, so your mainboard is ruined.
    Milk drinks contain calcium too, also very bad for
    internal electronic.

    You could bring it in for service, but be prepared for the worst.

    F.

  4. Re: Yoghurt drinks in an IPAQ

    "opa.piloot" schreef in bericht
    > Ren79 wrote:
    >
    > Remove battery and case; clean with a soft brush with ordinary water with
    > a timy amount of dish washing-up liquid. When clean, rinse with de-ionized
    > water

    Never follow above instructions, ordary water contains minerals
    If REALLY necessary use de-mineralized water to clean electronic components.
    Do not add washing liquids or or soaps.

    Dry quickly with hairblower, otherwise electronic components will corrode.
    (copper parts will turn greenish) and that means death for smd.......

    F.

  5. Re: Yoghurt drinks in an IPAQ

    Flying Tiger wrote:

    > "opa.piloot" schreef in bericht
    > > Ren79 wrote:
    > >
    > > Remove battery and case; clean with a soft brush with ordinary water with
    > > a timy amount of dish washing-up liquid. When clean, rinse with de-ionized
    > > water

    > Never follow above instructions, ordary water contains minerals
    > If REALLY necessary use de-mineralized water to clean electronic components.
    > Do not add washing liquids or or soaps.
    >
    > Dry quickly with hairblower, otherwise electronic components will corrode.
    > (copper parts will turn greenish) and that means death for smd.......
    >
    > F.

    I've got some experience in this field. Wather is a great solvent, especially
    for yoghurt.
    Maybe my tap-water is cleaner than yours but I think any water is better than
    yoghurt .
    Using other water than tap-water makes no sense; because it wil immediately be
    contaminated by the yoghurt.
    A small amount of washing liquid is recommended to lessen surface tension; this
    will ensuer that all parts are wetted.
    Moreover, I recommended using de-ionized water in the last step; because it's
    the ions that do the damage.
    Be carefull using a hairblower; the temperature might be way too high and the
    display might get damaged.
    Good drying is essentially, because moist can be trapped underneath surface
    mounted devices;
    24 hours on a warm radiater (70 dregrees centigrade or so) should be
    sufficient.

    Since the only other alternative is to throw the thing away, it is worth giving
    it a try.
    Don't wait too long, because the sooner the yoghurt is removed the better.

    --
    Veel plezier / Have fun
    Bert

    Mail via hccnet.nl

  6. Re: Yoghurt drinks in an IPAQ

    > Flying Tiger wrote:
    >
    >> "opa.piloot" schreef in bericht
    >> > Ren79 wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Remove battery and case; clean with a soft brush with ordinary water
    >> > with
    >> > a timy amount of dish washing-up liquid. When clean, rinse with
    >> > de-ionized
    >> > water

    >> Never follow above instructions, ordary water contains minerals
    >> If REALLY necessary use de-mineralized water to clean electronic
    >> components.
    >> Do not add washing liquids or or soaps.
    >>
    >> Dry quickly with hairblower, otherwise electronic components will
    >> corrode.
    >> (copper parts will turn greenish) and that means death for smd.......
    >>
    >> F.

    > I've got some experience in this field. Wather is a great solvent,
    > especially
    > for yoghurt.
    > Maybe my tap-water is cleaner than yours but I think any water is better
    > than
    > yoghurt .
    > Using other water than tap-water makes no sense; because it wil
    > immediately be
    > contaminated by the yoghurt.
    > A small amount of washing liquid is recommended to lessen surface tension;
    > this
    > will ensuer that all parts are wetted.
    > Moreover, I recommended using de-ionized water in the last step; because
    > it's
    > the ions that do the damage.
    > Be carefull using a hairblower; the temperature might be way too high and
    > the
    > display might get damaged.
    > Good drying is essentially, because moist can be trapped underneath
    > surface
    > mounted devices;
    > 24 hours on a warm radiater (70 dregrees centigrade or so) should be
    > sufficient.
    >
    > Since the only other alternative is to throw the thing away, it is worth
    > giving
    > it a try.
    > Don't wait too long, because the sooner the yoghurt is removed the better.
    >

    > --
    > Veel plezier / Have fun
    > Bert
    >
    > Mail via hccnet.nl

    How the yogurt pda doing now?

    Still dead, I guess......

    F.

  7. Re: Yoghurt drinks in an IPAQ

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 16:19:42 +0100, "opa.piloot"
    wrote:

    >Ren79 wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> I've had a bit of an unfortuante incident with a yoghurt type drink in
    >> my handbag - where my IPAQ 2200 was. I thought that it had only
    >> reached the very top surface of the PDA, and it turned on happily to
    >> start with, but then i realised that the bit where the stylus is
    >> stored was filled with yoghurt-y gunk. Net result is that the thing
    >> wont turn on anymore, and i can see that there is gunk behind the
    >> power button and the "itask" button at the right hand side.
    >>
    >> Anybody know if this is likely to be rescuable? And anywhere in the
    >> UK that might be able to do it, I'm guessing its not something i'm
    >> gonna be able to fix myself? I have tried obvious stuff like resets.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Ruth

    >Remove battery and case; clean with a soft brush with ordinary water with
    >a timy amount of dish washing-up liquid. When clean, rinse with de-ionized
    >water and let dry thoroughly at a warm place, eg. above a radiator.
    >Be careful because of fragile components.
    >Afrer re-assembling, follow hard-reset and restore from backup
    >instructions as found in the user manual.
    >Success.

    Around 1990, I went to a demo of the "Poqet", which was a DOS-based
    handheld. The person giving the demo said rinsing with tap water and
    air drying was the best way to handle spills (coffee, soda, etc.) or
    dunks (swimming pool). I can't remember full context, but I'm quite
    sure at least two of those examples came up. I'm quite sure the person
    giving the demo was from the company making the Poqet and assume he
    would give correct advice on those items.

    I, somewhat naively, assume sensitivity to unexpected liquids depends
    on just how the electronics are packaged, and the precise mixture of
    metals used (not just which ones, but which ones are touching).
    Perhaps some companies coat their boards to make them less sensitive?

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
    Boston, MA 02118