IR port locked, can't reset or open! Need ASAP for Palm! - Handheld

This is a discussion on IR port locked, can't reset or open! Need ASAP for Palm! - Handheld ; Somebody hepme! Heh, um, big problem, no idea how to fix it. I don't even know what could have caused it because I didn't do anything differently than usual. Just tried to hotsync my Palm and it said the IR ...

  1. IR port locked, can't reset or open! Need ASAP for Palm!

    Somebody hepme! Heh, um, big problem, no idea how to fix it. I don't
    even know what could have caused it because I didn't do anything
    differently than usual. Just tried to hotsync my Palm and it said the IR
    port was locked by another process, only there ISN'T another process!
    There's nothing showing in the "ctrl-alt-del", nothing in the tray,
    nothing even in the background from startup in the registry (checked with
    Startup Manager). It will even do a "search for IR devices in range", and
    I can hear the really faint sound it makes go on and off when it's doing
    it, so I know it's really not locked and working. Anybody know what's
    going on? I know it's not the Palm's fault because I have 2 totally
    different models and they do the same thing (hence posting here instead of
    the Palm groups). Can anybody think of anything? I totally depend on my
    Palm(s) so I really need to fix it fast!
    For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
    Yeah, it's really a real address

  2. Re: IR port locked, can't reset or open! Need ASAP for Palm!

    see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:
    > Somebody hepme! Heh, um, big problem, no idea how to fix it. I

    don't
    > even know what could have caused it because I didn't do anything
    > differently than usual. Just tried to hotsync my Palm and it said

    the IR
    > port was locked by another process, only there ISN'T another process!
    > There's nothing showing in the "ctrl-alt-del", nothing in the tray,
    > nothing even in the background from startup in the registry (checked

    with
    > Startup Manager). It will even do a "search for IR devices in

    range", and
    > I can hear the really faint sound it makes go on and off when it's

    doing
    > it, so I know it's really not locked and working. Anybody know

    what's
    > going on? I know it's not the Palm's fault because I have 2 totally
    > different models and they do the same thing (hence posting here

    instead of
    > the Palm groups). Can anybody think of anything? I totally depend

    on my
    > Palm(s) so I really need to fix it fast!

    Are you trying to do an IR hot sync? If not, maybe deleting the
    IR hotsync modules might help. Have you tried doing a soft or
    hard reset on the PDA? It sounds like a flag has been set and
    won't get flipped unless it is pinged, or the software is reloaded.

  3. Re: IR port locked, can't reset or open! Need ASAP for Palm!

    Dear News Subsystem

    In article news:b7qsv0dlgf3bj4mhnjrk1j10k7ugidrmr7@4ax.com,
    see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:
    > Somebody hepme! Heh, um, big problem, no idea how to fix it. I don't
    > even know what could have caused it because I didn't do anything
    > differently than usual. Just tried to hotsync my Palm and it said
    > the IR port was locked by another process, only there ISN'T another
    > process! There's nothing showing in the "ctrl-alt-del", nothing in

    [...]
    Err...what is the actual error message, and on which device does it
    occur?

    Of the three common error messages, none includes the word "locked":
    1. "Error accessing the IR Port. See the //Helpnotes//IR_Readme.txt for
    more information."
    Appears on Windows, versions 2000 and later; indicates a local problem.
    Won't apply to Windows 95.

    2. "Unable to initiate HotSync operation because the port is in use by
    another application."
    Appears on the Palm, indicates a problem there (see below).

    3. "The connection between your computer and the desktop could not be
    established. Please check your setup and try again."
    Appears on the Palm.

    I'm presuming you're experiencing the second. If so, initiate the
    HotSync process (hit the HotSync button) *before* bringing the PalmOS
    device into range of the PC.

    See question 1.1 etc at my FAQ,
    http://www.alanjmcf.me.uk/comms/infr...rDA%20faq.html

    Otherwise it could be an error specific to Windows 95...?

    > the tray, nothing even in the background from startup in the registry
    > (checked with Startup Manager). It will even do a "search for IR
    > devices in range", and I can hear the really faint sound it makes go
    > on and off when it's doing it, so I know it's really not locked and

    Have you only recently enabled the "Search for ... devices in range"
    feature?

    > working. Anybody know what's going on? I know it's not the Palm's
    > fault because I have 2 totally different models and they do the same
    > thing (hence posting here instead of the Palm groups). Can anybody
    > think of anything? I totally depend on my Palm(s) so I really need
    > to fix it fast!

    I think its your PC provoking both Palms into a conflicting state.

    Given your extreme desire to get this working, you'll be wanting to
    reward me it this is solved. :-,) If so see my wishlist on my homepage.
    --
    Alan J. McFarlane
    http://www.alanjmcf.me.uk/

+ Reply to Thread