HP 41 calculator - Handheld

This is a discussion on HP 41 calculator - Handheld ; I know that they are very old but the hp 41 series calculators were very powerfull. Was there a way to transfer programs to a PC?? Thanks kipmc4...

  1. HP 41 calculator

    I know that they are very old but the hp 41 series calculators were
    very powerfull. Was there a way to transfer programs to a PC??
    Thanks
    kipmc4

  2. Re: HP 41 calculator

    "kipmc4" writes:
    > I know that they are very old but the hp 41 series calculators were
    > very powerfull. Was there a way to transfer programs to a PC??

    There are several ways to do that. All of them require hardware that
    is not commonly found today.

    1) There was an 82442A module that allowed the HP-41 to print to the
    82240A infrared wireless printer. If your PC is equipped with
    suitable hardware, it can receive and decode the IR. There was
    a product called "Hook-up" to do this, and there are also plans
    to build your own receiver. The software for Hook-up, and the
    free software for the build-your-own, might not work on modern
    fast PCs. Also, this is a purely unidirectional transfer. If
    you want to get data or programs from the PC to the 41, it won't
    help.

    2) If you have the 82442A, and also an HP-48, the HP-48 can receive
    the IR printer signals, then send the data over a serial connection
    to the PC. That avoids the problems with fast PCs.

    3) You can use an HP-41 with an HP 82160A HP-IL interface, and an
    HP 82973A HP-IL interface card in a PC with an ISA bus slot, and
    various software that can talk to that card. Requires a PC with
    an ISA slot, which is very uncommon these days, and reportedly
    won't work with fast PCs.

    4) You can use an HP-41, an HP 82160A, and an HP 82164A HP-IL to
    serial converter connected to a serial port on a PC. I've found
    this to be very convenient.

    There are also HP-IL to parallel or IEEE-488 converters, and HP-IL
    modems, any of which could be used with a suitably equipped PC.

    5) (Possibly the easiest.) Write the HP-41 programs you want to transfer
    to the PC onto magnetic cards, and send them to someone who has an
    HP-41 with a card reader, and one of the above-listed setups. My
    card reader is broken, so I can't offer to do that for you.

    Best regards,
    Eric

+ Reply to Thread