PDA with good battery Life and Memory - Handheld

This is a discussion on PDA with good battery Life and Memory - Handheld ; Hi My Dada is after a new PDA He's had an Olivetti DaVinci (i think it was a Royal DaVinci in the US) and a Palm Pilot which he has liked all though he found it annoying that the Palm ...

  1. PDA with good battery Life and Memory

    Hi My Dada
    is after a new PDA He's had an Olivetti DaVinci (i think it was a Royal
    DaVinci in the US) and a Palm Pilot
    which he has liked all though he found it annoying that the Palm lost its
    memory when you replaced the batteries (i think the Olivetti
    had a watch battery for mantaining RAM during battery changeover.

    He is looking to upgrade but I think most modern PDAs (Colour) wont have any
    where near the battery life of his old B/W PDA's
    I think waht he's looking for is something that will keep his adresses and
    phone numbers around without having to change batteries or be recharged
    every 7 days or whatever possibly with the capability to back up to some
    memory card or other

    Any ideas (I think Sony did a Black and White PDA which wa supposed to be
    quite good.)

    Any Ideas

    TIA

    Pete H.

  2. Re: PDA with good battery Life and Memory

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 20:47:04 +0000, Pete Hewitt wrote:

    > Hi My Dada
    > is after a new PDA He's had an Olivetti DaVinci (i think it was a Royal
    > DaVinci in the US) and a Palm Pilot
    > which he has liked all though he found it annoying that the Palm lost its
    > memory when you replaced the batteries (i think the Olivetti
    > had a watch battery for mantaining RAM during battery changeover.
    >
    > He is looking to upgrade but I think most modern PDAs (Colour) wont have any
    > where near the battery life of his old B/W PDA's
    > I think waht he's looking for is something that will keep his adresses and
    > phone numbers around without having to change batteries or be recharged
    > every 7 days or whatever possibly with the capability to back up to some
    > memory card or other
    >
    > Any ideas (I think Sony did a Black and White PDA which wa supposed to be
    > quite good.)
    >
    > Any Ideas
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Pete H.

    Well addresses and phones is more of a basic PIM(Personal Info Manager_
    than a PDA(Personal Data Assistant), though
    most PDAs have PIM software.
    He could do well enough with a 1-3MB model from Sharp, as that's both a
    large number of contacts and all of them have serial or USB sync with
    Outlook (LookOut! You have another virus! if you use it for email, or even
    online sometimes.) Otherwise Palm still makes B&W PDAs, although gone are
    the days of dropping a set of AAAs in it and having it last a month, the
    new models use Li-Ion batteries that must be charged more often(A couple
    weeks, IIRC)

    Sharp, AFAIK uses button-cell backup in most of their PIMs as they do the
    Zaurus line of pocket computers.

  3. Re: PDA with good battery Life and Memory

    Pete Hewitt wrote:

    > Hi My Dada
    > is after a new PDA He's had an Olivetti DaVinci (i think it was a Royal
    > DaVinci in the US) and a Palm Pilot
    > which he has liked all though he found it annoying that the Palm lost its
    > memory when you replaced the batteries (i think the Olivetti
    > had a watch battery for mantaining RAM during battery changeover.
    >
    > He is looking to upgrade but I think most modern PDAs (Colour) wont have any
    > where near the battery life of his old B/W PDA's
    > I think waht he's looking for is something that will keep his adresses and
    > phone numbers around without having to change batteries or be recharged
    > every 7 days or whatever possibly with the capability to back up to some
    > memory card or other
    >
    > Any ideas (I think Sony did a Black and White PDA which wa supposed to be
    > quite good.)
    >
    > Any Ideas
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Pete H.

    THe Fujitsu Siemens LOOX 720 has a good battery life and has a half hour
    backup built in if you choose to changs the battery.
    Steven Kettle

+ Reply to Thread