ActiveSync's approach to installing SW - Handheld

This is a discussion on ActiveSync's approach to installing SW - Handheld ; I am using a product which is expected to install 6 components (.NET, SQL CE, etc) on PDA. The PDA is connected to a laptop with XP Pro. The product supplier claims that all he does is send a list ...

  1. ActiveSync's approach to installing SW

    I am using a product which is expected to install 6 components
    (.NET, SQL CE, etc) on PDA. The PDA is connected to a laptop
    with XP Pro. The product supplier claims that all he does is
    send a list of 6 .CAB files to activesync via InstallShield.

    The installation then displays the following verbiage :
    Select a program's check box if you want to install it on
    your mobile device or clear the checkbox if you want to
    remove it from your device.

    I find this language and this approach bizarre. In fact
    I believe my product supplier does not know how his technical
    team developed the product and is passing off the language
    above as 'ActiveSync's choice' over which he has no control.
    If I have 4 components already installed on PDA and want to
    install only 2 more components, and so I check only those 2,
    why should ActiveSync 'remove other 4 unchecked items'.

    Instead of just one dialog box for Add + Remove, I would
    prefer two different dialog boxes for the two operations.
    The Add box should install checked components. The Remove
    dialog-box should remove items whose checkbox is selected.

    Please advise. I am especially curious to know from where
    the verbiage I have quoted above comes, and I would like
    to change it if possible.

    Add Components Box would say : Check Components you want
    to install. It would ignore unchecked items.
    Remove Components Box would say : Check Components you want
    to uninstall. It would ignore unchecked items.

  2. Re: ActiveSync's approach to installing SW

    I have posted a follow-up on microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,
    since
    that forum seems to attract more traffic, increasing my chance of
    receiving
    helpful hints.

+ Reply to Thread