terminal program, ssh even, for Axim (pocket PC) - Handheld

This is a discussion on terminal program, ssh even, for Axim (pocket PC) - Handheld ; I'm getting a Dell Axim with Windows Pocket 2003 OS (or something like that.) I'm going to be using it on a wireless LAN. Is there a terminal program that can do SSH, like Putty, that can be run on ...

  1. terminal program, ssh even, for Axim (pocket PC)

    I'm getting a Dell Axim with Windows Pocket 2003 OS (or something like
    that.)
    I'm going to be using it on a wireless LAN.
    Is there a terminal program that can do SSH, like Putty, that can be
    run on the Pocket PC?
    I know it may be a silly question, I'm sure it wouldn't be easy to use,
    but it sure would be very handy!
    Thanks,
    Liam

  2. Re: terminal program, ssh even, for Axim (pocket PC)

    wrote in message
    news:1105993415.146178.64000@f14g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
    > I'm getting a Dell Axim with Windows Pocket 2003 OS (or something like
    > that.)
    > I'm going to be using it on a wireless LAN.
    > Is there a terminal program that can do SSH, like Putty, that can be
    > run on the Pocket PC?
    > I know it may be a silly question, I'm sure it wouldn't be easy to use,
    > but it sure would be very handy!
    > Thanks,
    > Liam

    And what mischief might you be up to?

  3. Re: terminal program, ssh even, for Axim (pocket PC)

    Colbyt wrote:
    > wrote in message
    > news:1105993415.146178.64000@f14g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
    > > I'm getting a Dell Axim with Windows Pocket 2003 OS (or something

    like
    > > that.)
    > > I'm going to be using it on a wireless LAN.
    > > Is there a terminal program that can do SSH, like Putty, that can

    be
    > > run on the Pocket PC?
    > > I know it may be a silly question, I'm sure it wouldn't be easy to

    use,
    > > but it sure would be very handy!
    > > Thanks,
    > > Liam
    > >

    > And what mischief might you be up to?

    ::blinkblink::
    Sorry?
    I'm the system's administrator for an online printing wholeseller. I'm
    on call 24/7, and don't have a laptop. I'm on the "floor" half the day,
    away from my desk. I often have to run back to my desk to SSH into one
    of the servers to do anything from change a password to add an IP
    address to the firewall.
    By having an SSH capable termonal on my pocketPC I can be off-site and
    still able to check in and see what's going on when I get a page from
    the system saying the resource usage has reached a certain amount, or
    pings to a server are taking too long or are dropping, or a service has
    crashed and I need to restart it.
    Is that the kind of mischief you're thinking of?

    I mean, what the heck other mischief is really possible with a flippin'
    PocketPC. If I really wanted to cause mischief I'd load Slackware Linux
    on an old laptop, add a wireless USB adapter, and use any of a number
    of tools available to Linux to allow one to cause anonymous mischief.
    If someone can do the same thing, anonymously, with a Windows pocketPC,
    I'd be impressed.

  4. Re: terminal program, ssh even, for Axim (pocket PC)

    wrote in message
    news:1106010139.058807.182660@c13g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...

    > Colbyt wrote:
    > > wrote in message
    > > news:1105993415.146178.64000@f14g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
    > > > I'm getting a Dell Axim with Windows Pocket 2003 OS (or something

    > like
    > > > that.)
    > > > I'm going to be using it on a wireless LAN.
    > > > Is there a terminal program that can do SSH, like Putty, that can

    > be
    > > > run on the Pocket PC?
    > > > I know it may be a silly question, I'm sure it wouldn't be easy to

    > use,
    > > > but it sure would be very handy!
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Liam
    > > >

    > > And what mischief might you be up to?

    > ::blinkblink::
    > Sorry?
    > I'm the system's administrator for an online printing wholeseller. I'm
    > on call 24/7, and don't have a laptop. I'm on the "floor" half the day,
    > away from my desk. I often have to run back to my desk to SSH into one
    > of the servers to do anything from change a password to add an IP
    > address to the firewall.
    > By having an SSH capable termonal on my pocketPC I can be off-site and
    > still able to check in and see what's going on when I get a page from
    > the system saying the resource usage has reached a certain amount, or
    > pings to a server are taking too long or are dropping, or a service has
    > crashed and I need to restart it.
    > Is that the kind of mischief you're thinking of?
    >
    > I mean, what the heck other mischief is really possible with a flippin'
    > PocketPC. If I really wanted to cause mischief I'd load Slackware Linux
    > on an old laptop, add a wireless USB adapter, and use any of a number
    > of tools available to Linux to allow one to cause anonymous mischief.
    > If someone can do the same thing, anonymously, with a Windows pocketPC,
    > I'd be impressed.

    Try these.

    http://speed.insane.com/archives/200..._pocket_pc.php

  5. Re: terminal program, ssh even, for Axim (pocket PC)

    Colbyt wrote:
    > Try these.
    >
    > http://speed.insane.com/archives/200..._pocket_pc.php

    Holymoly! Pocket Putty. That's just perfectly cool!
    I never have to work at my desk again. Want to check a user's mail
    spool sitting in the break room, can do. Need to reset a password
    sitting at their desk, done. Need to add a device to the fstab in the
    restroom, well, that's a little weird. But if I had to, can do! =)
    Thanks!
    Liam

+ Reply to Thread