Dont understand how to install software - Handheld

This is a discussion on Dont understand how to install software - Handheld ; Hi, hope someone can help. I've downloaded a few pieces of software and some of them are zipped files, with the instructions to copy the CAB files to my device and then click on them to install. When I unzip ...

  1. Dont understand how to install software

    Hi, hope someone can help.

    I've downloaded a few pieces of software and some of them are zipped
    files, with the instructions to copy the CAB files to my device and then
    click on them to install.

    When I unzip the file I don't see and 'cab' files. For example, I have
    just unzipped 'wisbar' which gets really good reviews (freeware) and the
    files I see are:

    000 file
    001 file
    003 file
    004 file

    That's all it says in the properties. The files have different names but
    I have no idea which one I should put on my handheld or how.

    Does that make sense? Any help would be really appreciated.

    Thanks

    --
    Mark (MSA)
    Remember, half the people you know are below average

  2. Re: Dont understand how to install software

    On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:22:27 -0000, MSA
    removed the duct tape and proclaimed:

    >When I unzip the file I don't see and 'cab' files. For example, I have
    >just unzipped 'wisbar' which gets really good reviews (freeware) and the
    >files I see are:
    >
    >000 file
    >001 file
    >003 file
    >004 file

    You are looking at the contents of the CAB file.

    --
    I put 2 and 2 together and got 22.

  3. Re: Dont understand how to install software

    In article ,
    insert@address.here says...
    > On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:22:27 -0000, MSA
    > removed the duct tape and proclaimed:
    >
    > >When I unzip the file I don't see and 'cab' files. For example, I have
    > >just unzipped 'wisbar' which gets really good reviews (freeware) and the
    > >files I see are:
    > >
    > >000 file
    > >001 file
    > >003 file
    > >004 file
    > >

    > You are looking at the contents of the CAB file.
    >
    > --
    > I put 2 and 2 together and got 22.

    OK. So what do I do, install all of them, and then click on one to
    install?
    --
    Mark (MSA)
    Remember, half the people you know are below average

  4. Re: Dont understand how to install software

    On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 22:15:37 -0000, MSA
    removed the duct tape and proclaimed:

    >In article ,
    >insert@address.here says...
    >> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:22:27 -0000, MSA
    >> removed the duct tape and proclaimed:
    >>
    >> >When I unzip the file I don't see and 'cab' files. For example, I have
    >> >just unzipped 'wisbar' which gets really good reviews (freeware) and the
    >> >files I see are:
    >> >
    >> >000 file
    >> >001 file
    >> >003 file
    >> >004 file
    >> >

    >> You are looking at the contents of the CAB file.
    >>
    >> --
    >> I put 2 and 2 together and got 22.
    >>

    >OK. So what do I do, install all of them, and then click on one to
    >install?

    When you say you unzipped 'wisbar', exactly what was the name of the
    file? Specifically, what was the extension?
    --
    There are only two valid activities in this world:
    personally attending to the injured and hungry,

  5. Re: Dont understand how to install software

    In article ,
    insert@address.here says...
    > On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 22:15:37 -0000, MSA
    > removed the duct tape and proclaimed:
    >
    > >In article ,
    > >insert@address.here says...
    > >> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:22:27 -0000, MSA
    > >> removed the duct tape and proclaimed:

    > >> You are looking at the contents of the CAB file.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> I put 2 and 2 together and got 22.
    > >>

    > >OK. So what do I do, install all of them, and then click on one to
    > >install?

    > When you say you unzipped 'wisbar', exactly what was the name of the
    > file? Specifically, what was the extension?
    > --
    > There are only two valid activities in this world:
    > personally attending to the injured and hungry,
    > and picking fights in newsgroups.
    > - Lore Sj÷berg

    I unzipped the original zip file which gave me a selection of other zips
    depending on my processor. I unzipped the one that was Eng.arm.

    This is where it gets confusing. Winzip says it's unable to unzip using
    the Wizard so I have to use the 'classic interface' instead. The file
    names show and their type (which I don't recognise or understand the
    format) are:

    Name Type Size
    Engwis~3.000 000 File 367
    Wisbar~1.003 003 File 46,080
    00Wisbar.002 002 File 45,056
    00readme.001 001 File 282

    That's exactly what it says...the file types mean nothing to me.

    Thanks for youe help on this!

    --
    Mark (MSA)
    Remember, half the people you know are below average

  6. Re: Dont understand how to install software

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 19:51:21 -0000, MSA
    removed the duct tape and proclaimed:

    >I unzipped the original zip file which gave me a selection of other zips
    >depending on my processor. I unzipped the one that was Eng.arm.
    >
    >This is where it gets confusing. Winzip says it's unable to unzip using
    >the Wizard so I have to use the 'classic interface' instead. The file
    >names show and their type (which I don't recognise or understand the
    >format) are:
    >
    >Name Type Size
    >Engwis~3.000 000 File 367
    >Wisbar~1.003 003 File 46,080
    >00Wisbar.002 002 File 45,056
    >00readme.001 001 File 282
    >
    >That's exactly what it says...the file types mean nothing to me.
    >
    >Thanks for youe help on this!

    I have a feeling that the eng.arm is actually the CAB. Maybe you are
    not showing file extensions for some reason. That file is probably
    called eng.arm.cab.

    --
    There are only two valid activities in this world:
    personally attending to the injured and hungry,
    and picking fights in newsgroups.
    - Lore Sj÷berg

  7. Re: Dont understand how to install software

    "MSA" wrote in message
    news:MPG.1c5627971d4ef6b69896af@News.Individual.NE T...
    > In article ,
    > insert@address.here says...
    > > On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 22:15:37 -0000, MSA
    > > removed the duct tape and proclaimed:
    > >
    > > >In article ,
    > > >insert@address.here says...

    have

    the

    > > >OK. So what do I do, install all of them, and then click on one to
    > > >install?

    > > When you say you unzipped 'wisbar', exactly what was the name of the
    > > file? Specifically, what was the extension?
    > > --
    > > There are only two valid activities in this world:
    > > personally attending to the injured and hungry,
    > > and picking fights in newsgroups.
    > > - Lore Sj÷berg
    > >

    > I unzipped the original zip file which gave me a selection of other zips
    > depending on my processor. I unzipped the one that was Eng.arm.
    >
    > This is where it gets confusing. Winzip says it's unable to unzip using
    > the Wizard so I have to use the 'classic interface' instead. The file
    > names show and their type (which I don't recognise or understand the
    > format) are:
    >
    > Name Type Size
    > Engwis~3.000 000 File 367
    > Wisbar~1.003 003 File 46,080
    > 00Wisbar.002 002 File 45,056
    > 00readme.001 001 File 282
    >
    > That's exactly what it says...the file types mean nothing to me.

    Looks like you have file extensions set to not show.

    Double-click on the 00readme file and see if you don't get some
    instructions.

    Colbyt

  8. Re: Dont understand how to install software

    In article ,
    colbyt@stopspam.lexkyweb.com says...
    > Looks like you have file extensions set to not show.
    >
    > Double-click on the 00readme file and see if you don't get some
    > instructions.
    >
    > Colbyt

    Just one update listed, nothing else!

    --
    Mark (MSA)
    Remember, half the people you know are below average

  9. Re: Dont understand how to install software

    In article ,
    insert@address.here says...

    > I have a feeling that the eng.arm is actually the CAB. Maybe you are
    > not showing file extensions for some reason. That file is probably
    > called eng.arm.cab.

    But the icon is Winzip, and winzip opens to show the previously
    mentioned files when I open it.

    Oh, well..I'll get to the bottom of this eventually!

    Thanks for your help.
    --
    Mark (MSA)
    Remember, half the people you know are below average

  10. Re: Dont understand how to install software

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 19:33:22 -0000, MSA
    removed the duct tape and proclaimed:

    >In article ,
    >insert@address.here says...
    >>
    >> I have a feeling that the eng.arm is actually the CAB. Maybe you are
    >> not showing file extensions for some reason. That file is probably
    >> called eng.arm.cab.
    >>

    >But the icon is Winzip, and winzip opens to show the previously
    >mentioned files when I open it.

    It is quite possible that Winzip is the registered app for the .cab
    extension. Cabs are compressed archives, after all.

    --
    There are only two valid activities in this world:
    personally attending to the injured and hungry,
    and picking fights in newsgroups.
    - Lore Sj÷berg

+ Reply to Thread