Visor locked in bootup, help! - Handheld

This is a discussion on Visor locked in bootup, help! - Handheld ; My Visor just crashed for the zillionth time in OmniRemote, but it's stuck in bootup after I pin-hole reset it. Is there any way to get it out of it without doing a hard reset and toasting everything in RAM? ...

  1. Visor locked in bootup, help!

    My Visor just crashed for the zillionth time in OmniRemote, but it's stuck
    in bootup after I pin-hole reset it. Is there any way to get it out of it
    without doing a hard reset and toasting everything in RAM? Also, will
    holding the power button while doing the pin-hole button do that? It's
    never needed it, so I dunno if it's the same as my Treo (which has needed
    it more times than I can count).
    For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
    Yeah, it's really a real address

  2. Re: Visor locked in bootup, help!

    In article ,
    wrote:
    >My Visor just crashed for the zillionth time in OmniRemote, but it's stuck
    >in bootup after I pin-hole reset it. Is there any way to get it out of it
    >without doing a hard reset and toasting everything in RAM? Also, will
    >holding the power button while doing the pin-hole button do that? It's
    >never needed it, so I dunno if it's the same as my Treo (which has needed
    >it more times than I can count).

    My Visor eventually reached a condition where it would get into that mode--
    stuck in a loop at pinhole reset--way too often. Hard reset was the only
    way I could find to break the loop. You can't even turn in it off! I
    solved the problem by getting a Clie.

    --
    Please reply to: | "When the press is free and every man
    pciszek at panix dot com | able to read, all is safe."

  3. Re: Visor locked in bootup, help!

    see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:
    > My Visor just crashed for the zillionth time in OmniRemote, but it's stuck
    > in bootup after I pin-hole reset it. Is there any way to get it out of it
    > without doing a hard reset and toasting everything in RAM?

    Yes, there is. Hold the "up" button while you are resetting it using the
    reset hole. Keep it pressed for a few seconds or until you see a Palm
    logo. That way you will bypass any programs which start right after the
    reset (like resident programs, hacks and so). All data in memory is intact.

    If that doesn't help, then your only option is hard reset - you
    described it down there.

    > Also, will holding the power button while doing the pin-hole button do that?

    No, it will invoke a hard reset procedure. PalmOS will ask you if you
    want to erase all memory contents or not. If you wan to, press "up" or
    any other key not to erase it.

    --
    Remove "/\" from e-mail address to correct it!

  4. Re: Visor locked in bootup, help!

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 05:18:51 +0100, in comp.sys.handhelds you wrote:
    >see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:
    >> My Visor just crashed for the zillionth time in OmniRemote, but it's stuck
    >> in bootup after I pin-hole reset it. Is there any way to get it out of it
    >> without doing a hard reset and toasting everything in RAM?

    >Yes, there is. Hold the "up" button while you are resetting it using the
    >reset hole. Keep it pressed for a few seconds or until you see a Palm
    >logo. That way you will bypass any programs which start right after the
    >reset (like resident programs, hacks and so). All data in memory is intact.

    Ah, thanks
    BTW, it seems to me that I hit the power and up button at the same time
    (remembering this procedure incorrectly) and it seemed to do something,
    but I can't remember what because it was too long ago.
    Am I just shorting a neuron here, or does that do something too?

    >If that doesn't help, then your only option is hard reset - you
    >described it down there.
    >
    >> Also, will holding the power button while doing the pin-hole button do that?

    >No, it will invoke a hard reset procedure. PalmOS will ask you if you
    >want to erase all memory contents or not. If you wan to, press "up" or
    >any other key not to erase it.

    For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
    Yeah, it's really a real address

  5. Re: Visor locked in bootup, help!

    see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:

    > BTW, it seems to me that I hit the power and up button at the same time
    > (remembering this procedure incorrectly) and it seemed to do something,
    > but I can't remember what because it was too long ago.
    > Am I just shorting a neuron here, or does that do something too?

    Not sure, probably the same thing as one of this two:
    a) holding just power button, waiting for logo, releasing and THEN
    pressing up => erasing all memory to the factory state
    b) holding just up button, bypassing all the resident hooks & vectors,
    thus bypassing all programs starting with OS

    I wouldn't try to reproduce it (because of a) unless the memory contents
    isn't important to me.

    Sorry for my bad memory, it was a long time ago, I'm using Tungsten|E
    for some time now, and even while I used Visor I wasn't resetting it so
    often.

    Here you have a description of all three types of reset:

    http://www.niles-hs.k12.il.us/techno...pringreset.pdf

    --
    Remove "/\" from e-mail address to correct it!

+ Reply to Thread