I want to play MP3's in my car...with an external USB Drive? - Handheld

This is a discussion on I want to play MP3's in my car...with an external USB Drive? - Handheld ; I'd like to have MP3's in my car. Lots on them. Hundreds of gigs. I'm considering buying a hd-based car stereo unit. Or perhaps building a pc. But that would take a lot of time and $$$. Then it hit ...

  1. I want to play MP3's in my car...with an external USB Drive?

    I'd like to have MP3's in my car. Lots on them. Hundreds of gigs.
    I'm considering buying a hd-based car stereo unit. Or perhaps building
    a pc. But that would take a lot of time and $$$. Then it hit me that
    maybe I could use a handheld to do it.

    Can I hook up an external USB hard drive to a handheld?

    What about integrating the handheld neatly into the car. Such as a
    nice holder for the unit (maybe it sits in the cup holder or something)
    and it would be really cool if the holder also integrated the power
    cable and/or audio-out cable.
    Any ideas? Thanks in advance for the ideas...

    Jason

  2. Re: I want to play MP3's in my car...with an external USB Drive?

    "JTB" writes:
    > I'd like to have MP3's in my car. Lots on them. Hundreds of gigs.
    > I'm considering buying a hd-based car stereo unit. Or perhaps building
    > a pc. But that would take a lot of time and $$$. Then it hit me that
    > maybe I could use a handheld to do it.
    >
    > Can I hook up an external USB hard drive to a handheld?

    There are a few USB 1.1 host CF cards available but I wouldn't want
    all that crap with cables floating around the car, plus another gizmo
    to boot up and mess with while you're driving, plus you might have to
    write software. Get or build a self-contained unit if you can.
    Although, HD car players that I know of use laptop hard drives, so 100
    GB maximum. That's an awful lot of MP3's though.

+ Reply to Thread