Trouble with HP Technical/Customer support - Handheld

This is a discussion on Trouble with HP Technical/Customer support - Handheld ; I have encountered a dilemma and don't know where to turn. To cut to the chase, I have sent in an iPaq HX 4700 PDA for a repair and I was called and told it was outside of warranty and ...

  1. Trouble with HP Technical/Customer support

    I have encountered a dilemma and don't know where to turn. To cut to the
    chase, I have sent in an iPaq HX 4700 PDA for a repair and I was called and
    told it was outside of warranty and I would be required to pay for the
    repair. Since I purchased the product on Oct. 18th of this year, it is
    hardly out of warranty. When I pursued the issue deeper, I was then told
    that my iPaq had been internally tampered with and an internal seal broken
    and therefore out of warranty. THE ONLY TIME I HAVE EVER OPENED MY IPAQ WAS
    UNDER THE DIRECT INSTRUCTION OF HP SUPPORT IN A TROUBLE-SHOOTING PROCEDURE.
    And that was simply to remove the battery.

    On December 11th, while on the way to the movies with my family, the iPaq
    quit producing sound. The reason I noticed it was because I was using it
    with a GPS receiver and it was announcing turns. Since it was connected to
    the GPS via Bluetooth, the iPaq was on my wife's lap. I assumed there was a
    configuration issue and intended to deal with it when we returned home.

    I was called by the Compaq repair facility, and after such an enjoyable
    encounter with HP technical support was taken aback by an abrupt and
    unfriendly encounter with someone on the phone who claimed to be from a
    billing department and that I needed to pay a bill for the repair. I was
    totally confused since I was awakened by the call and did not relate Compaq
    repair service to HP. When I tried to pursue the issue further, I could get
    nowhere. I asked to speak to a manager or supervisor and was told that
    their policy was that I would receive a call-back. I was told that I might
    get a call back within 48 business hours but not to expect one until after
    the new year. I was unable to find out any information about how my PDA was
    violated. All I was told was that a seal had been broken that voided the
    warranty. The tone of the interchange was less than enjoyable and I must
    admit, that if such people worked for me, they would be seeking employment
    elsewhere. I immediately called my vendor and questioned him as to whether
    he had sold me a used or refurbished PDA. He assured me he hadn't and
    directed me to examine the box it came in as to whether is was properly
    sealed. As best to my knowledge, all items were sealed. Though I purchased
    an extended warranty, he directed me back to HP.

    Finally I was contacted by Isaac Gutierrez of HP Customer Relations Case
    Manager. My e-mail to him says the gist of the conversation.

    Isaac,

    I left voice mail for you yesterday. You assured me that you would send me
    an E-mail with the terms and conditions you stated yesterday morning that I
    must comply with in order to have my Ipaq HX-4700 returned.

    Since you have not done so, allow me to summarize our discussion.

    1. You stated that I must pay for a new motherboard, that I have violated a
    warranty seal.

    2. You stated you are willing to negotiate on the cost of the new
    motherboard but I must pay for one nonetheless. You did tell me I was
    informed of the cost of the motherboard in the initial E-mail though no
    e-mail had ever been received nor was I aware the problem was a motherboard
    until the day before this conversation. I asked you to check your E-mail;
    you placed me on hold, came back and changed the topic. Several times in
    this discussion you implied I had gotten e-mail from your organization that
    I never received.

    3. You stated that you cannot prove that I did not open the Ipaq and void
    the warranty. You said this seven times. The discussion digressed into
    litanies about whether negations can be proven, until I moved us on.

    4. When I mentioned that possibly the unit was not operating optimally all
    along and had been locking up periodically since I received it, you stated
    "why didn't you do something about it then?" I still don't know what
    bearing that has on this case.

    5. You stated that an affidavit attesting that I have never opened the Ipaq
    would not mean anything to you.

    6. When I offered to take a polygraph from a certified and highly respected
    examiner, your reply was "We all know how unreliable polygraph tests are"
    and "people beat polygraphs all the time."

    7. I pointed out that I had purchased both a PDA (the Ipaq rx3115) and a HP
    Pavilion Home PC, both with extended warranties, as Christmas presents. I
    asked how I was to know the same issue would not arise if I were to return
    either of those items for repairs. You assured me it wouldn't. When I
    asked why it wouldn't you went into a homily of non-sequiturs that amounted
    to "this is a different situation." I still do not know what protection I
    have that sending back any HP product will find the same fate with the same
    "Isaac". I am debating returning both to the place of purchase for a full
    refund since neither are yet one week old.

    7. When I asserted that I would not pay for the repairs on a device that was
    only two months old, was under the extended warranty that I purchased and
    for a warranty I had never violated, you stated "you will still be required
    to pay an evaluation fee before the Ipaq will be returned to you."

    8. When I stated that I would not pay an "evaluation fee," you stated that
    you will hold my Ipaq until this fee is received.

    At this point the discussion was spiraling down rapidly out of control so I
    informed you that I would continue pursuing this via your CEO. You then
    demanded that I forward you any and all correspondence between Ms. Fiorina
    and myself. I told you that based on the comments of many of your workers
    in the billing department; I had assumed that you had "been in the loop."
    You placed me on hold and at that point I gave the phone to my wife because
    I was running late for a 10 AM appointment. I told her to provide you my
    cell phone number.

    Before I was in my car, the cell phone rang and you demanded I forward you
    my E-mails from the CEO. I told you I would not send you anything and you
    stated you would not do anything until those e-mails were received.

    I did forward you the E-mails I had sent her but not her replies since I
    believed then, as I do now, that it is highly unethical to forward to you
    e-mail that the sender obviously intended only for myself. I also believe
    your demand in exchange for additional action is highly unprofessional,
    borderline voyeuristic and should be worthy of your immediate dismissal.
    But that is for others to decide.

    Though all but the very initial call have been conferenced and mostly
    recorded on my end, I may not have the exact wording correct. Please feel
    free to correct and stand by any of the above statements if they do not
    reflect what had actually taken place.

    Early on I was trying desperately to have my Ipaq returned to me before
    returning to work Jan 2nd. When I first called technical support on December
    11th she said that having it back by then would not be a problem at all. I
    actually asked if I could have a one for one replacement but she said my
    warranty did not permit it. I asked if I could upgrade my warranty to the
    one that permits it but she assured me that that would not be necessary
    since I would assuredly have my Ipaq back with time to spare. I pointed out
    that if there was any doubt, I would keep the unit in its present state
    until after my January trip since sound was not important. She recommended
    I send it in immediately. The entire discussion was on speaker phone with
    my wife present since she had to read the S/n for I did not have my glasses
    with me.

    You still have not returned to me the terms and conditions for the return of
    my Ipaq. You stated yesterday with the exact words "Close of business" that
    I would have such. You failed to keep this agreement as with several
    others.

    This entire affair is becoming costly to me. The actions I will be required
    to take will be even more costly. But this is the only choice you have left
    me. I believe I have exhausted all others.

    Remember, all I have wanted is for HP to honor their contractual agreement
    and return my Ipaq repaired.

    ================================================== ===============================================

    Mr.Gutierrez reply was that I would still have to pay for the motherboard
    but he wold negotiate on the price (I believe half). If I refused to pay
    for the motherboard, I must still pay for an evaluation fee in order to have
    my unit returned.

    I have declined to pay for the motherboard. Doing so wold be an admission
    of guilt and therefore render the remainder of my warranty period null and
    void.

    I need to know if anyone else has encountered such obstacles. I'd also
    advise all to examine their PDAs and insure that the seal in questio is in
    tact.

  2. Re: Trouble with HP Technical/Customer support

    "Larry Killen" wrote in message
    > I have encountered a dilemma and don't know where to turn. To cut to the
    > chase, I have sent in an iPaq HX 4700 PDA for a repair and I was called

    and
    > told it was outside of warranty and I would be required to pay for the
    > repair. Since I purchased the product on Oct. 18th of this year, it is
    > hardly out of warranty. When I pursued the issue deeper, I was then told
    > that my iPaq had been internally tampered with and an internal seal broken
    > and therefore out of warranty. THE ONLY TIME I HAVE EVER OPENED MY IPAQ

    WAS
    > UNDER THE DIRECT INSTRUCTION OF HP SUPPORT IN A TROUBLE-SHOOTING

    PROCEDURE.
    > And that was simply to remove the battery.

    [snipped]

    Where did you buy the iPAQ from? Your warranty is with the seller not the
    manufacturer. You should approach the seller. If an internal seal has been
    tampered with, it may be that the iPAQ was not new when it was sold to you.
    If you cannot get satisfaction, then the Small Claim Track of your local
    county court may be the way to go.

    Ian.

  3. Re: Trouble with HP Technical/Customer support

    "Electrik Fan Club" wrote in
    message news:41dce9c7$1_1@baen1673807.greenlnk.net...

    > "Larry Killen" wrote in message
    > > I have encountered a dilemma and don't know where to turn. To cut to

    the
    > > chase, I have sent in an iPaq HX 4700 PDA for a repair and I was called

    > and
    > > told it was outside of warranty and I would be required to pay for the
    > > repair. Since I purchased the product on Oct. 18th of this year, it is
    > > hardly out of warranty. When I pursued the issue deeper, I was then

    told
    > > that my iPaq had been internally tampered with and an internal seal

    broken
    > > and therefore out of warranty. THE ONLY TIME I HAVE EVER OPENED MY IPAQ

    > WAS
    > > UNDER THE DIRECT INSTRUCTION OF HP SUPPORT IN A TROUBLE-SHOOTING

    > PROCEDURE.
    > > And that was simply to remove the battery.
    > >

    > [snipped]
    >
    > Where did you buy the iPAQ from? Your warranty is with the seller not the
    > manufacturer. You should approach the seller. If an internal seal has

    been
    > tampered with, it may be that the iPAQ was not new when it was sold to

    you.
    > If you cannot get satisfaction, then the Small Claim Track of your local
    > county court may be the way to go.
    >
    > Ian.

    I have of course assumed that you are in the UK since there is no
    information to the contrary.

    Ian.

  4. Re: Trouble with HP Technical/Customer support

    Ian,
    Sorry for the late reply but our ISP dropped our NNPT server for sometime.
    I am in Atlanta, GA. My particular contract says that I must utilize any
    manufacturer warranty first. The extended warranty goes beyond that where
    the man'fg warranty fails to cover. That is now the route i AM GOING.

    Since my last writing, I had to get my iPaq back from HP tech support. They
    charged me a $94 evaluation fee (to evaluate and tell me they would not fix
    it). I paid it.
    Thanks,
    Larry

    "Electrik Fan Club" wrote in
    message news:41dcea5d$1_1@baen1673807.greenlnk.net...

    > "Electrik Fan Club" wrote in
    > message news:41dce9c7$1_1@baen1673807.greenlnk.net...
    >>
    >> "Larry Killen" wrote in message
    >> > I have encountered a dilemma and don't know where to turn. To cut to

    > the
    >> > chase, I have sent in an iPaq HX 4700 PDA for a repair and I was called

    >> and
    >> > told it was outside of warranty and I would be required to pay for the
    >> > repair. Since I purchased the product on Oct. 18th of this year, it is
    >> > hardly out of warranty. When I pursued the issue deeper, I was then

    > told
    >> > that my iPaq had been internally tampered with and an internal seal

    > broken
    >> > and therefore out of warranty. THE ONLY TIME I HAVE EVER OPENED MY
    >> > IPAQ

    >> WAS
    >> > UNDER THE DIRECT INSTRUCTION OF HP SUPPORT IN A TROUBLE-SHOOTING

    >> PROCEDURE.
    >> > And that was simply to remove the battery.
    >> >

    >> [snipped]
    >>
    >> Where did you buy the iPAQ from? Your warranty is with the seller not
    >> the
    >> manufacturer. You should approach the seller. If an internal seal has

    > been
    >> tampered with, it may be that the iPAQ was not new when it was sold to

    > you.
    >> If you cannot get satisfaction, then the Small Claim Track of your local
    >> county court may be the way to go.
    >>
    >> Ian.
    >>

    > I have of course assumed that you are in the UK since there is no
    > information to the contrary.
    >
    > Ian.

  5. Re: Trouble with HP Technical/Customer support

    >Since my last writing, I had to get my iPaq back from HP tech support. They
    >charged me a $94 evaluation fee (to evaluate and tell me they would not fix
    >it). I paid it.

    Don't buy any HP products. They understand that and nothing else.

    Bob G

  6. Re: Trouble with HP Technical/Customer support

    Well, there is this link to "Talk to Carly" on the HP site which I used
    several years ago....

    I had a Compaq projector which needed warranty service. Sent it in on
    my own dime and they sent it back - UNREPAIRED. When I went to use it,
    it still didn't work so I called them and they said something like "Oh,
    it wasn't repaired. We made a mistake sending it back to you!" So
    they said they would send me a prepaid shipping box and for me to send
    it back.

    Well a few *months* passed and no box. I called AGAIN and they said
    "Oh, your projector does not qualify for free shipping so you'll have
    to send it back on your own dime!" I was not happy at that and
    complained that I already shipped it on my own dime and HP was in the
    wrong and I didn't want to send it in because what if they didn't fix
    it again? I'd be out shipping twice!

    They said that was all they could do. Take it or leave it.

    I searched around the HP site for a feedback link and found the "Talk
    to Carly" link instead so I typed out a long letter detailing the
    troubles I had and I was stern but not mean. I just told her what had
    happened and why I thought HP should fix the projector while providing
    free shipping. I was very detailed in my story and I told them due to
    this kind of customer service, I would never again purchase an
    HP-Compaq product and do what I could to convince my friends, family
    and coworkers to do the same.

    I figured I would not hear from them but in only a few days, one of
    their so-called directors of customer service contaced me and sent me a
    free shipping box and a replacement projector. Granted it was a
    remanufactured projector which I was not too overly happy about but at
    least the thing works now and I didn't have to pay again for something
    which I already had!

    Give it a try and be stern but not angry and see if they will respond
    in your favor!
    http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/execteam/em...ina/index.html

    Bob

+ Reply to Thread