HELP! Lost my AC adaptor - Handheld

This is a discussion on HELP! Lost my AC adaptor - Handheld ; I lost the power cord to my PDA, a Dell Axim X-5 pictured here: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/P...ctlisting.aspx If I don't find it, or get another one, in the next day or two, I'm going to lose a lot of crucial data. Getting ...

  1. HELP! Lost my AC adaptor

    I lost the power cord to my PDA, a Dell Axim X-5 pictured here:

    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/P...ctlisting.aspx

    If I don't find it, or get another one, in the next day or two, I'm
    going to lose a lot of crucial data. Getting one shipped from Dell
    would take too long. But unlike, say, a Discman or something, the Axim
    doesn't have a voltage number next to the place the adaptor plugs in.
    Does anyone know what Radio Shack type replacement would work? My
    father-in-law says he has a bunch of AC adaptors; would it be dangerous
    (in terms of messing up the PDA) to try his and see if one fits?
    Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

    Alan

  2. Re: HELP! Lost my AC adaptor

    On 28 Dec 2004 14:32:47 -0800, alanslackerinc@yahoo.com wrote:

    >I lost the power cord to my PDA, a Dell Axim X-5 pictured here:
    >
    >http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/P...ctlisting.aspx
    >
    >If I don't find it, or get another one, in the next day or two, I'm
    >going to lose a lot of crucial data. Getting one shipped from Dell
    >would take too long. But unlike, say, a Discman or something, the Axim
    >doesn't have a voltage number next to the place the adaptor plugs in.
    >Does anyone know what Radio Shack type replacement would work? My
    >father-in-law says he has a bunch of AC adaptors; would it be dangerous
    >(in terms of messing up the PDA) to try his and see if one fits?
    >Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!
    >
    >Alan

    Some PDAs can be charged via the USB port. Is that the case with this
    unit? Locally, the 99 Cent Only stores have power/sync cords for many
    PDAs for 99cents each. Good luck.

  3. Re: HELP! Lost my AC adaptor

    alanslackerinc@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I lost the power cord to my PDA, a Dell Axim X-5 pictured here:
    >
    > http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/P...ctlisting.aspx
    >
    > If I don't find it, or get another one, in the next day or two, I'm
    > going to lose a lot of crucial data. Getting one shipped from Dell
    > would take too long. But unlike, say, a Discman or something, the Axim
    > doesn't have a voltage number next to the place the adaptor plugs in.
    > Does anyone know what Radio Shack type replacement would work? My
    > father-in-law says he has a bunch of AC adaptors; would it be dangerous
    > (in terms of messing up the PDA) to try his and see if one fits?
    > Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!
    >
    > Alan

    AFAICT from the following research, the Dell part is 310-2944, which
    supplies TTBOMK ~5.4V, should be ~500-700 ma, center +

    http://www.scsistuff.com/axim.html

    "AC adapter 5.4 Volts, plugs directly into Axim X5, X3 or X30 or any
    AXIM cradle"

    http://www.extremepda.com/page/XPDA/...CC/3IN1KITAXIM

    "# USB Cigarette Lighter Adapter: Plugs into any standard cigarette
    lighter adapter. Also fits power ports that are now available in most
    cars. LED light ensures that your PDA is charging. Outputs 5-5.5V DC."

    http://pc-mobile.net/dcadapter.htm

    "Following are DC adapters for most recent PDAs. The adapter jack is an
    almost universal 4.0/1.7, as used by many PDAs. To use these to charge
    your PDA, you just need a power source (AC adapter/Car Adapter/USB power
    cable etc) with a 4.0/1.7, centre positive plug. You may already have
    this with your PDA. (e.g. HP Ipaq most models, Axim X5/X3/X30, Toshiba,
    Fujitsu, Asus, Casio etc.). Most recent Ipaqs and Axim X3 are supplied
    with a similar DC adapter so they are direct replacements. While Axim
    X5, Toshiba, Fujitsu, Casio have separate 4.0/1.7 DC input jack built
    into the PDA so an adapter is not necessary. Adapter cable length is
    12cm. All these PDAs require 5-5.4v power so one power source is
    suitable for all. Important note: Many PDAs use the same connector but
    the pin assignments are different. Connect only one designed for your
    model. Connecting power through a dongle designed for a different model
    may seriously damage your PDA. When you receive it, see the label and
    make sure that the one supplied is what you ordered and for your
    particular model."

    http://www.aximsite.com/boards/archi...hp/t-1536.html

    "anspa 01-22-03, 04:24 PM I have seen message from someone who tested
    the Axim and its power adapter, saying that any power supply with
    voltage in range 5.4-5.8V (5.6V being ideal) and at least 700 mA would
    do the job.

    But before trying it, I would backup all my data. "

    HTH!

    Bill

  4. Re: HELP! Lost my AC adaptor

    Thanks, guys!