Palm with anonymous proxy - Handheld

This is a discussion on Palm with anonymous proxy - Handheld ; I am looking to buy a used Palm Tungsten C, if it will do what I want. I want to be able to connect to a wifi network (this model comes with a wifi card), set the Palm to use ...

  1. Palm with anonymous proxy

    I am looking to buy a used Palm Tungsten C, if it will do what I want.
    I want to be able to connect to a wifi network (this model comes with
    a wifi card), set the Palm to use an anonymous proxy (I enter the
    address/port), and go to hotmail.com or yahoo.com and use an e-mail
    account. There are a couple sites that keep updated lists of public
    proxy servers. This procedure works fine from a PC (MS Windows).

    I found some stuff on the Tungsten C, and it says you can use special
    proxy servers that reformat the web pages, and says how to enter the
    address/port. I assume this will work with any proxy server, not just
    the Palm supported ones (less the web reformatting, of course).

    I want to buy a used model. Any problems with the early ones?

    Any other products that will do this? I'd prefer something smaller
    than a laptop, and because I don't want to use it for anything else, I
    don't need any fancy bells and whistles, and what to keep the cost
    down. (Or maybe I'll end up finding web surfing at wifi spots more
    handy than expected.)

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Palm with anonymous proxy

    On or about depending on the hamsters 21 Dec 2004 22:30:14 -0800, Todd
    Grey permuted the language to say:

    > I am looking to buy a used Palm Tungsten C, if it will do what I want.
    > I want to be able to connect to a wifi network (this model comes with
    > a wifi card), set the Palm to use an anonymous proxy (I enter the
    > address/port), and go to hotmail.com or yahoo.com and use an e-mail
    > account. There are a couple sites that keep updated lists of public
    > proxy servers. This procedure works fine from a PC (MS Windows).
    >
    > I found some stuff on the Tungsten C, and it says you can use special
    > proxy servers that reformat the web pages, and says how to enter the
    > address/port. I assume this will work with any proxy server, not just
    > the Palm supported ones (less the web reformatting, of course).
    >
    > I want to buy a used model. Any problems with the early ones?
    >
    > Any other products that will do this? I'd prefer something smaller
    > than a laptop, and because I don't want to use it for anything else, I
    > don't need any fancy bells and whistles, and what to keep the cost
    > down. (Or maybe I'll end up finding web surfing at wifi spots more
    > handy than expected.)
    >
    > Thanks.

    In theory there shouldn't be a problem. You can use any proxy... just
    enter the details in the browser set-up.

    One problem you may have with some networks is that they force you to use
    their proxy (my work requires this, for example). So I can't use any other
    proxy at the same time. When I'm using my own connection from home, I can
    use pretty much anything (or nothing) that I want. So it may depend on how
    you connect. This will affect any wifi device not just the Palm.

    Web-mail is ok via the T|C, but much better is popmail. Versamail is fine
    -- I've got 3 accounts set up on my T|C. They all use authenticated
    addresses, so basically I can use them from anywhere (unless I'm blocked
    by the local wifi network... does happen). I use Snapper for IMAP
    (slightly more stringent security on that). Using POP you can compose/read
    off-line etc, and then just hunt for a connection to send when you're
    ready.

    The keyboard on the T|C is great for email.

    --
    Words
    http://www.permuted.org.uk