handhelds.org - Handheld

This is a discussion on handhelds.org - Handheld ; [Long story, converted to short] - I acquired a IPAQ 3650 in mid-October.. The battery was dead, but using my serial cradle I loaded "Familiar" on it. I thought, "whoa, this rocks".. So, a bit later I ordered a new ...

  1. handhelds.org

    [Long story, converted to short] - I acquired a IPAQ 3650
    in mid-October.. The battery was dead, but using my serial cradle
    I loaded "Familiar" on it. I thought, "whoa, this rocks".. So,
    a bit later I ordered a new battery (and a dual PCMCIA jacket for it).
    With Familiar loaded, I thought I would be on my way! What fun!

    Then, around Nov. 23rd (or so?), I noticed that
    http://www.handhelds.org was down. No big deal. I know how life
    goes as a admin. "Stuff" happens... I'll wait.. A week.. then
    two.. now, it's December 6th.. I've read......

    .. And thought, "fine.. a couple more days".... I'm
    now completely sick of this. Why isn't this mirrored? The _only_
    thing that I could find that was mirrored was the base "Familiar"
    applications. Thank god, because at least the IPAQ 3650 isn't
    a complete "brick". Why isn't "OPIE" (in my case) not mirrored
    else where? I'm tired of waiting...

    Yes - I understand hardware failure/moving to a new provider
    problems... I happen to run projects that are probably more
    intense than any web server application handhelds.org runs..
    If it's something I care about, _two or three_ days _downtime_
    kills me - and I'm only speaking of the _hobby_ projects I run!
    Just for example, http://deathrow.vistech.net (Yes - I'm also
    a OpenVMS nut....)... or http://www.telephreak.org (ok, shameless
    plug...)
    I don't mean this to be a insult toward the Familiar/
    OPIE/GPE(?) guys. It really has nothing to do with the embedded
    Linux applications/OS's they've done. From the bit that I've
    seen, it simply rocks.... I'm just not happy with Compaq (?) and
    the handhelds.org site...

    Here's what I'm asking....

    I have a bit of spare bandwidth. Granted, not a lot.. A
    DS1/T1. At this point, I'd love to put up a Familiar (and more
    importantly) OPIE/GPE mirror. Actually, even when (if?)
    handhelds.org comes back online, I plan on mirroring them. Just so
    this never happens again. If anyone, at this point, has a current
    OPIE/GPE mirror, please contact me.

    - Beave converttheat vistech.net

    ~

  2. Re: handhelds.org

    Da Beave wrote:

    > The _only_
    > thing that I could find that was mirrored was the base "Familiar"
    > applications.

    Where?

    > I'm just not happy with Compaq (?) and
    > the handhelds.org site...

    Likewise! What I can't understand is the almost complete lack of
    information. How difficult can it be to set up a tiny text only web page
    on another server (strewth, even a home DSL connection would do) and change
    the handhelds.org DNS entry to point at it. It could say "We are sorry
    that handhelds.org is down. This is due to.... We currently expect to
    resume service in X days. Meanwhile, here are links to some mirrors"

    Sorry to seem to moan, but I have just got my iPaq and I need to get the
    right GPS software installed before I go on holiday over Christmas.
    Normally, I would try to be more relaxed!

    Richard Simpson

  3. Re: handhelds.org

    idem...

    Please give it us back !
    Every information about OPIE I googled, pointed to a page of
    handhelds.org ...

    --
    maz

  4. Re: handhelds.org

    maz wrote:

    > idem...
    >
    > Please give it us back !
    > Every information about OPIE I googled, pointed to a page of
    > handhelds.org ...

    hh.org is back up but not configured yet.
    Until then please feel free to ask questions here, I will try to answer
    those.

    Oliver
    Team Opie

  5. Re: handhelds.org

    Oliver Fels wrote:
    > Until then please feel free to ask questions here, I will try to answer
    > those.

    Are you going to take up Da Beave's offer of mirror space and/or find some
    other mirrors so that this sort of problem does not occur again?

    Thanks

  6. Re: handhelds.org

    Oliver Fels wrote:
    > hh.org is back up but not configured yet.
    > Until then please feel free to ask questions here, I will try to

    answer
    > those.

    Thanks for the info. Its nice to know it is coming back. Will it be a
    few days or a few weeks?

  7. Re: handhelds.org

    "Patrick Hayes" wrote in message
    <1102615276.594523.212030@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups. com>:
    > Thanks for the info. Its nice to know it is coming back. Will it be a
    > few days or a few weeks?

    It seems to be back online since a few hours. That is great news.

+ Reply to Thread