Zaurus SL-C3000 - Handheld

This is a discussion on Zaurus SL-C3000 - Handheld ; I'm thinking of getting one of these to replace my Palm m515. Obviously I need some degree of compatibility so I can transfer everything without data loss etc not to mention the apps I've bought like Citymaps, so I'm thinking ...

  1. Zaurus SL-C3000

    I'm thinking of getting one of these to replace my Palm m515.
    Obviously I need some degree of compatibility so I can transfer
    everything without data loss etc not to mention the apps I've bought
    like Citymaps, so I'm thinking that because it runs Linux, I could
    just build the Palm emulator and use that for the old stuff.

    To do that, I'll need a compiler, and for the Zaurus to run X11.
    Having an xterm-a-like application would be handy too.

    Does anyone know if it comes with all this?

  2. Re: Zaurus SL-C3000

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 23:37:24 +0000, David Cantrell wrote:

    > I'm thinking of getting one of these to replace my Palm m515.
    > Obviously I need some degree of compatibility so I can transfer
    > everything without data loss etc not to mention the apps I've bought
    > like Citymaps, so I'm thinking that because it runs Linux, I could
    > just build the Palm emulator and use that for the old stuff.
    >
    > To do that, I'll need a compiler, and for the Zaurus to run X11.
    > Having an xterm-a-like application would be handy too.
    >
    > Does anyone know if it comes with all this?

    www.handhelds.org is a good place to start for X on Zaurus.
    I'm slightly irritated, myself, they only have pdaXrom for the
    clamshell(CL-) Zaurii

  3. Re: Zaurus SL-C3000

    It was piątek, 19 listopada 2004 15:04 when Devlor Nakarti wrote:

    > On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 23:37:24 +0000, David Cantrell wrote:
    >> Does anyone know if it comes with all this?

    > www.handhelds.org is a good place to start for X on Zaurus.
    > I'm slightly irritated, myself, they only have pdaXrom for the
    > clamshell(CL-) Zaurii

    Another place is http://www.openzaurus.org/ (I know - we doesn't have many
    content there - site in reconstruction).

    Actually SL-C3000 is not supported under OZ and pdaXrom due to lack of
    hardware to test. When it will then running X on it will be possible under
    OZ/GPE or pdaXrom.

    --
    JID: hrw-jabber.org
    Palmtop: Sharp Zaurus SL-5500

  4. Re: Zaurus SL-C3000

    On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 12:38:51 +0100, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:

    > It was piatek, 19 listopada 2004 15:04 when Devlor Nakarti wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 23:37:24 +0000, David Cantrell wrote:
    >>> Does anyone know if it comes with all this?

    >> www.handhelds.org is a good place to start for X on Zaurus.
    >> I'm slightly irritated, myself, they only have pdaXrom for the
    >> clamshell(CL-) Zaurii

    > Another place is http://www.openzaurus.org/ (I know - we doesn't have many
    > content there - site in reconstruction).
    >
    > Actually SL-C3000 is not supported under OZ and pdaXrom due to lack of
    > hardware to test. When it will then running X on it will be possible under
    > OZ/GPE or pdaXrom.

    Well I would have mentioned OZ, except for the sluggish update cycle,
    chronic brokenness of the publicized releases(package incompatibility
    foremost with this, but the latest has no package lists set, in which
    GPE-Package has no option for install destination, and they should isolate
    the GPE packages from the OPIE packages due to massive dependency issues.)

  5. Re: Zaurus SL-C3000

    It was niedziela, 21 listopada 2004 15:12 when Devlor Nakarti wrote:

    > Well I would have mentioned OZ, except for the sluggish update cycle,

    OZ 3.5.1 was released 2 months ago and 3.5.2 will be in next week.

    > chronic brokenness of the publicized releases(package incompatibility
    > foremost with this,

    Choose: be obsolete (compatibility with Sharp) or use actual software to
    gain speed from used compiler etc. OZ 3.5.1 is many times faster then older
    releases.

    > but the latest has no package lists set,

    fixed already (will be in 3.5.2)

    > in which GPE-Package has no option for install destination,

    3.5.1 was 1st release with GPE - older was only OPIE.

    > and they should isolate the GPE packages from the OPIE packages due to
    > massive dependency issues.)

    3.5.2 will have splitted feeds, and our packages have good dependencies
    rather - user have to think a little before trying to run firefox under
    OPIE.

    --
    JID: hrw-jabber.org
    Palmtop: Sharp Zaurus SL-5500
    OpenEmbedded/OpenZaurus developer

    A successful [software] tool is one that was used
    to do something undreamed of by its author.
    -- S. C. Johnson

  6. Going offtopic: (was Re: Zaurus SL-C3000)

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 17:45:42 +0100, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:

    > It was niedziela, 21 listopada 2004 15:12 when Devlor Nakarti wrote:
    >
    >> Well I would have mentioned OZ, except for the sluggish update cycle,

    > OZ 3.5.1 was released 2 months ago and 3.5.2 will be in next week.

    I sure hope so, it was almost an entire year between 3.5.1 and the one
    before it(3.3.x? Don't remember)

    >> chronic brokenness of the publicized releases(package incompatibility
    >> foremost with this,

    > Choose: be obsolete (compatibility with Sharp) or use actual software to
    > gain speed from used compiler etc. OZ 3.5.1 is many times faster then
    > older releases.

    How about be compatible with your own feed....

    >> but the latest has no package lists set,

    > fixed already (will be in 3.5.2)

    Wasn't hard to do by hand, actually

    >> in which GPE-Package has no option for install destination,

    > 3.5.1 was 1st release with GPE - older was only OPIE.

    True, but OPIE 3.5.1 locked up frequently, while somebody's unofficial
    3.5.1b(I think that was the number on it, and I forget who put it
    together) was more stable than the original Sharp ROM(seemed mainly from
    the sd/mmc and pcmcia driver update)

    >> and they should isolate the GPE packages from the OPIE packages due to
    >> massive dependency issues.)

    > 3.5.2 will have splitted feeds, and our packages have good dependencies
    > rather - user have to think a little before trying to run firefox under
    > OPIE.

    And along that line, do you know of any browser besides Opera(Sharp and
    Cacko roms are the only two I know support that for sure) and Konqueror/E.
    that works without X/GTK/glibc-/etc?

  7. Re: Going offtopic: (was Re: Zaurus SL-C3000)

    It was poniedziałek, 22 listopada 2004 01:57 when Devlor Nakarti wrote:

    > On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 17:45:42 +0100, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:

    >> Choose: be obsolete (compatibility with Sharp) or use actual software to
    >> gain speed from used compiler etc. OZ 3.5.1 is many times faster then
    >> older releases.

    > How about be compatible with your own feed....

    ? OZ 3.5.1 is first distrorelease build with OpenEmbedded - each package
    from feed should be instalable - some can fail or not work - thats why it
    is called 'unstable'.

    >> 3.5.1 was 1st release with GPE - older was only OPIE.

    > True, but OPIE 3.5.1 locked up frequently, while somebody's unofficial
    > 3.5.1b(I think that was the number on it, and I forget who put it
    > together) was more stable than the original Sharp ROM(seemed mainly from
    > the sd/mmc and pcmcia driver update)

    After 3.5.1 release we added some updated packages in 'upgrades' feed which
    is available officially - pcmcia-cs is one of them.

    Other thing is that anyone can build own copy of OpenZaurus using
    OpenEmbedded enviroment - thats why so many people report that 3.5.2-rc
    works much better for them.

    > And along that line, do you know of any browser besides Opera(Sharp and
    > Cacko roms are the only two I know support that for sure) and Konqueror/E.
    > that works without X/GTK/glibc-/etc?

    only text one: links 2.1pre (probably available for 3.5.1)

    --
    JID: hrw-jabber.org
    Palmtop: Sharp Zaurus SL-5500
    OpenEmbedded/OpenZaurus developer

    Z tylu różnych dróg przez życie każdy ma prawo wybrać źle.

  8. Re: Zaurus SL-C3000

    said:

    >To do that, I'll need a compiler, and for the Zaurus to run X11.
    >Having an xterm-a-like application would be handy too.

    Turns out that I don't need X11 - there's a port of POSE to Qtopia.
    Hoorah!

    http://www.climov.com/zaurus/qpose/

    And it's available as a binary, so no need for a compiler, although no
    doubt it'll still be useful.