Pocket PC calendar reminders flatten battery - Handheld

This is a discussion on Pocket PC calendar reminders flatten battery - Handheld ; My Mitac Meo 168, actually a Clone from Medion, switches on when a reminder from the calendar comes due. Unfortunately it doesn't switch off automatically as usual in this situation. Instead it stays on waiting for the user to cancel ...

  1. Pocket PC calendar reminders flatten battery

    My Mitac Meo 168, actually a Clone from Medion, switches on when a
    reminder from the calendar comes due. Unfortunately it doesn't switch
    off automatically as usual in this situation. Instead it stays on
    waiting for the user to cancel the reminder. This means its battery
    goes flat unless I am there to cancel it. Is this a generic Pocket PC
    problem and is there a fix.
    TIA
    John

  2. Re: Pocket PC calendar reminders flatten battery

    luggsie schrubte:

    > My Mitac Meo 168, actually a Clone from Medion, switches on when a
    > reminder from the calendar comes due. Unfortunately it doesn't switch
    > off automatically as usual in this situation. Instead it stays on
    > waiting for the user to cancel the reminder. This means its battery
    > goes flat unless I am there to cancel it. Is this a generic Pocket PC
    > problem and is there a fix.

    My device (Yakumo Delta 300 GPS, which is a Mio 168) does not show this
    behavior.
    It switches off clearly, when a reminder is not prompted by me ...

    Wastl

  3. Re: Pocket PC calendar reminders flatten battery

    "Sebastian 'Wastl' Koopmann" wrote in message news:...
    > luggsie schrubte:
    >
    > > My Mitac Meo 168, actually a Clone from Medion, switches on when a
    > > reminder from the calendar comes due. Unfortunately it doesn't switch
    > > off automatically as usual in this situation. Instead it stays on
    > > waiting for the user to cancel the reminder. This means its battery
    > > goes flat unless I am there to cancel it. Is this a generic Pocket PC
    > > problem and is there a fix.

    > My device (Yakumo Delta 300 GPS, which is a Mio 168) does not show this
    > behavior.
    > It switches off clearly, when a reminder is not prompted by me ...
    >

    > Wastl

    thanks, I can't easily reproduce the problem. If I test with
    overlapping reminders, it dims the screen after the delay on the first
    one then switches off altogether after the delay on the second one.
    which is more or less correct. But my problem is, I put it in the
    desk drawer and sometimes when I take it out later in the day, the
    screen is on, the case is quite warm, and the battery is 3/4 drained
    which shouldn't happen under any circumstances. I will have to do
    some more work on replicating the problem.

    john

  4. Re: Pocket PC calendar reminders flatten battery

    luggsie schrubte:

    >> My device (Yakumo Delta 300 GPS, which is a Mio 168) does not show
    >> this behavior.
    >> It switches off clearly, when a reminder is not prompted by me ...

    > But my problem is, I put it in the
    > desk drawer and sometimes when I take it out later in the day, the
    > screen is on, the case is quite warm, and the battery is 3/4 drained
    > which shouldn't happen under any circumstances.

    Is your desktop PC on while this occurs? Maybe ActiveSync is the issue
    then.

    Wastl

  5. Re: Pocket PC calendar reminders flatten battery

    "Sebastian 'Wastl' Koopmann" wrote in message news:...
    > luggsie schrubte:
    >
    > >> My device (Yakumo Delta 300 GPS, which is a Mio 168) does not show
    > >> this behavior.
    > >> It switches off clearly, when a reminder is not prompted by me ...

    > > But my problem is, I put it in the
    > > desk drawer and sometimes when I take it out later in the day, the
    > > screen is on, the case is quite warm, and the battery is 3/4 drained
    > > which shouldn't happen under any circumstances.

    > Is your desktop PC on while this occurs? Maybe ActiveSync is the issue
    > then.
    >

    > Wastl

    No, it wasn't connected to anything. A further complication: this is
    a Medion MD95000 with built-in GPS, clone of the Mitac Mio 168, and I
    had navigated to work with GPS last Friday and probably left the
    Navigator program running. This has some extra screen brightness
    functions which may be interacting with the calendar reminders. I
    will try to replicate the situation this week.

    John

  6. Re: Pocket PC calendar reminders flatten battery

    luggsie schrubte:

    >> Is your desktop PC on while this occurs? Maybe ActiveSync is the
    >> issue then.

    > No, it wasn't connected to anything. A further complication: this is
    > a Medion MD95000 with built-in GPS, clone of the Mitac Mio 168, and I
    > had navigated to work with GPS last Friday and probably left the
    > Navigator program running.

    Please bear in mind, that any software which retrieves data fom the
    GPS-module, keeps the GPS running as long as retrieving data.

    Wastl

  7. Re: Pocket PC calendar reminders flatten battery

    > > No, it wasn't connected to anything. A further complication: this is
    > > a Medion MD95000 with built-in GPS, clone of the Mitac Mio 168, and I
    > > had navigated to work with GPS last Friday and probably left the
    > > Navigator program running.

    > Please bear in mind, that any software which retrieves data fom the
    > GPS-module, keeps the GPS running as long as retrieving data.
    >

    > Wastl

    thanks, I have replicated the problem like this:
    1. In Medion Utility, set up "GPS advanced" with
    Never turn backlight off
    Never turn device off
    which are the defaults as installed.

    2. I have an old PPC already loaded with calendar data and backed up
    to my desktop PC. When I synchronized the new GPS PPC it downloaded
    the calendar and reminders from the old one. Not wanted, but it
    happened anyway.

    3. Navigate to work using external power to GPS PPC. Screen never
    blanks. Everything works OK.

    4. Stop driving, switch off GPS PPC with power button on the side,
    GPS program still active but off. Screen is dark and no battery power
    used.

    5. Next, whenever a calendar reminder is due during the day, the PPC
    switches itself on, screen lights up waiting for dismiss box to be
    checked. Problem is, the GPS is now running too, so it never
    switches off again. This drains the battery.

    So as a fix, I have set it up to turn off after 3 mins in the "GPS
    advanced" utility. This only seems to apply to battery operation.
    Alternatively, if I stopped the GPS navigator program itself at the
    end of the journey it would be OK, but this is easy to forget.

    I also found that if any of the buttons on the front are pressed after
    step (4) the GPS starts up with a bright screen and didn't go off
    again.

    John

+ Reply to Thread