PDA as Remote Control TV/VCD/DVD/Home Theater - Handheld

This is a discussion on PDA as Remote Control TV/VCD/DVD/Home Theater - Handheld ; Hi All; I recently bought a universal remote control for about $80 to replace all of my remotes. It is one of the ones with a touch display and is learning capable. Unfortunately the touch display has predefined button names ...

  1. PDA as Remote Control TV/VCD/DVD/Home Theater

    Hi All;

    I recently bought a universal remote control for about $80 to replace
    all of my remotes. It is one of the ones with a touch display and is
    learning capable. Unfortunately the touch display has predefined
    button names and locations, so mapping to the original remote is
    difficult. I am looking to get a cheap PDA from ebay that I can use as
    a remote, preferably with a color screen, but not mandatory. I am also
    looking for PDA software which will allow me to create my own button
    layout and names so I can match the original remote as closely as
    possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    John

  2. Re: PDA as Remote Control TV/VCD/DVD/Home Theater

    On 10 Nov 2004 21:18:11 -0800, john_casey@hotmail.com (John) wrote:

    >Hi All;
    >
    >I recently bought a universal remote control for about $80 to replace
    >all of my remotes. It is one of the ones with a touch display and is
    >learning capable. Unfortunately the touch display has predefined
    >button names and locations, so mapping to the original remote is
    >difficult. I am looking to get a cheap PDA from ebay that I can use as
    >a remote, preferably with a color screen, but not mandatory. I am also
    >looking for PDA software which will allow me to create my own button
    >layout and names so I can match the original remote as closely as
    >possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    I just used google (http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search) to
    look up
    remote
    in microsoft.public.pocketpc and got 4560 hits. The first few have
    several suggestions for software that runs on PocketPCs. In
    particular, you might check a 21-22 Apr 2004 thread called "IR Remote
    Control Program for PocketPC?"

    >John

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
    Boston, MA 02118
    www.penfact.com

  3. Re: PDA as Remote Control TV/VCD/DVD/Home Theater

    I tried such a program on my old Palm IIIxe. I was disappointed.

    Apparently, the IR LED on the Palm did not have the strength and field width
    of a 'real' remote. In other words, you needed to get closer than 4 ft. to
    the TV in order for it to work. Across the room? Fuhgeddaboudit!

    Your mileage may vary. Newer PDAs or non-palm models may be different than
    my experience.

    - ESJ

    "John" wrote in message
    news:f83d0b6c.0411102118.289db654@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi All;
    >
    > I recently bought a universal remote control for about $80 to replace
    > all of my remotes. It is one of the ones with a touch display and is
    > learning capable. Unfortunately the touch display has predefined
    > button names and locations, so mapping to the original remote is
    > difficult. I am looking to get a cheap PDA from ebay that I can use as
    > a remote, preferably with a color screen, but not mandatory. I am also
    > looking for PDA software which will allow me to create my own button
    > layout and names so I can match the original remote as closely as
    > possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > John

  4. Re: PDA as Remote Control TV/VCD/DVD/Home Theater

    E Jones wrote:

    > I tried such a program on my old Palm IIIxe. I was disappointed.
    >
    > Apparently, the IR LED on the Palm did not have the strength and field width
    > of a 'real' remote. In other words, you needed to get closer than 4 ft. to
    > the TV in order for it to work. Across the room? Fuhgeddaboudit!
    >
    > Your mileage may vary. Newer PDAs or non-palm models may be different than
    > my experience.

    Newer pdas have whats called "consumer IR"

+ Reply to Thread