PDA Motherboards - who makes these? - Handheld

This is a discussion on PDA Motherboards - who makes these? - Handheld ; Hi everyone, I'm looking to build an OEM PDA with integrated barcode scanner for an app we're deploying . Looking to have about 1000 units. Any ideas whoi makes motherboards for PDA's? I'm having a h**l of a job finding ...

  1. PDA Motherboards - who makes these?

    Hi everyone,

    I'm looking to build an OEM PDA with integrated barcode scanner for an
    app we're deploying . Looking to have about 1000 units.

    Any ideas whoi makes motherboards for PDA's? I'm having a h**l of a job
    finding this out so we can speak to them.

    Many thanks in advance.

    Regards,

    Dave.

    --
    Dave Jennings
    '89 VS 1400, '99 ZX6R www.cruiserclubcaledonia.com

  2. Re: PDA Motherboards - who makes these?

    "Dave Jennings" wrote in message news:...
    > Any ideas whoi makes motherboards for PDA's? I'm having a h**l of a job
    > finding this out so we can speak to them.

    Dave,
    AFAIK most PDAs are custom-built designs so there is no "motherboard"
    maker but just PDA makers.

    Try to search through www.globalsources.com which will show up some.
    Others I know or have found by google (try keywords: PocketPC ODM)
    are: Toshiba, HP, Sharp, HTC http://www.htc.com.tw,
    http://www.pemstar.com/ODM.htm, http://www.fic.com.tw/product/pda/ ...

    If you are specifically looking for a Linux based PDA,
    www.linuxdevices.com is a very good source of recent news and
    announcements.

    -- hns

  3. Re: PDA Motherboards - who makes these?

    Dr. Nikolaus Schaller yik-yakked:
    > Dave,
    > AFAIK most PDAs are custom-built designs so there is no "motherboard"
    > maker but just PDA makers.

    Hi,

    Many thanks for this - I appreciate it.

    --
    Dave Jennings
    '89 VS 1400, '99 ZX6R www.cruiserclubcaledonia.com

  4. Re: PDA Motherboards - who makes these?

    Asus.

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I'm looking to build an OEM PDA with integrated barcode scanner for an
    > app we're deploying . Looking to have about 1000 units.
    >
    > Any ideas whoi makes motherboards for PDA's? I'm having a h**l of a job
    > finding this out so we can speak to them.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Dave.
    >
    > --
    > Dave Jennings
    > '89 VS 1400, '99 ZX6R www.cruiserclubcaledonia.com

  5. Re: PDA Motherboards - who makes these?

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 17:39:13 +0000, Dave Jennings wrote:

    > Dr. Nikolaus Schaller yik-yakked:
    >> Dave,
    >> AFAIK most PDAs are custom-built designs so there is no "motherboard"
    >> maker but just PDA makers.

    > Hi,
    >
    > Many thanks for this - I appreciate it.

    You're also probably looking more for an embedded device manufacturer than
    a PDA-specific manufacturer, although as one post mentioned Asus, you'd
    probable have fair luck with motherboard manufacturers for
    evaluation/development boards

  6. Re: PDA Motherboards - who makes these?

    Thanks everyone - some great advice there, I appreciate it.

    --
    Dave Jennings
    '89 VS 1400, '99 ZX6R www.cruiserclubcaledonia.com

  7. Re: PDA Motherboards - who makes these?

    Bad form to follow onto my own post I know, but we've now had our OEM
    devices manufactured, thanks.

    Specs are:

    ruggedised PDA, 15 key keyboard ( buttons 1-9, #,*, U/D/L/R arrows,
    tab, shiftm enter and on/off ), integrated Symbol SE 824 barcode
    scanner, integrated WLAN, 32mb RAM, 32/64mb ROM, WinCE 5.0, 240W x 320H
    mono or colour screens depending on customer preference, USB
    connectivity.
    Our customer is delighted with these, and so are we. A very satisfying
    result at a highly competitive price. Our developers had a field day
    learning CE programming, but it's all over now!
    Many thanks to the group for some thoughtful advice, I appreciate it.
    Regards,
    Dave.
    --
    Dave Jennings
    '89 VS 1400, '99 ZX6R www.cruiserclubcaledonia.com

  8. Re: PDA Motherboards - who makes these?

    "Dave Jennings" writes:
    > I'm looking to build an OEM PDA with integrated barcode scanner for an
    > app we're deploying . Looking to have about 1000 units.
    >
    > Any ideas whoi makes motherboards for PDA's? I'm having a h**l of a job
    > finding this out so we can speak to them.

    Yes, I don't have url's handy but there are a bunch of places where
    you get the Intel 270 boards (StrongARM platform). You might also
    look at www.gumstix.com.

+ Reply to Thread