Looking for new PDA. Please advise? - Handheld

This is a discussion on Looking for new PDA. Please advise? - Handheld ; Hi folks: I've been looking for a new PDA for a bit, and now that Palm/Handspring has stopped selling the visor, I'm wanting something new. My wish list is as follows: 1) Price: Not in laptop range but less than ...

  1. Looking for new PDA. Please advise?

    Hi folks:

    I've been looking for a new PDA for a bit, and now that Palm/Handspring has
    stopped selling the visor, I'm wanting something new.

    My wish list is as follows:

    1) Price: Not in laptop range but less than $400US
    2) OS: I'm still leaning toward the Palm, but I am also comfortable with
    Linux, and IF I need too, I would (ug) accept the Windows CE.
    3) The most critical, batteries. I'm not at all happy with the current
    trend of companies hard-wiring the batteries into the devices, making you
    buy a new unit when the batteries wear out. So what company still has
    replaceable batteries, or has some sort of warentee that will replace the
    batteries once they wear out, even if for a small fee?

    Those are the most critical, but I'm also looking for a PDA that gives me
    at least the same capibilities as the old Handspring visor. 8 meg memory,
    monocrome screen, calender w/a *loud* alarm (My main use. Keep me informed
    of any an all appointments) and syncing with a desktop/laptop.

    Guess I better not ask for anything else.
    --
    Kevin C. Redden
    ---

  2. Re: Looking for new PDA. Please advise?

    Kevin,

    I recently bought a Dell Axim X30 (624MHz, 64 MB RAM, has a slot for an SD
    memory card). I am generally happy with the purchase. Cost around $267,
    which includes the cradle and cable. The battery is removable and the
    battery life seems good. It has Bluetooth and 802.11b, connects to my
    Linksys wireless router with ease. The WiFi Lan utility has a so-so
    interface, but is usable. The main reason I wanted Windows was so that I
    could easily transfer Microsoft Office files (Excel, Word, Mail, Calendar &
    Tasks). It is easy to change screen orientation.

    I heard that Dell will soon release and Axim X50 but don't know what the
    features will be. I have seen refurbished Axim X30 (320?MHz, 32 MB RAM)
    models for around $110.

  3. Re: Looking for new PDA. Please advise?

    Kevin C. Redden wrote:

    > Guess I better not ask for anything else.

    Go ahead- the more requirements we know the better the advice will suit you.

    Regarding the battery issue you will hardly the optimal solution and as
    manufacturers tend to change the battery specs from series to series and as
    devices tend to have very short product cycles it is likely that this issue
    can not be solved to your satisfaction.

    Personally I would suggest you get a cheap Compaq iPAQ from eBay (36xx,
    37xx, 38xx, 39xx or 5xxx series) and put Linux on the device.
    This will give you software support with latest versions for long.
    To get a first impression whether that might suit you take a look at
    http://opie.handhelds.org/ and look for the screenshots.

    Oliver

  4. Re: Looking for new PDA. Please advise?

    You got an X30 for $267?! Where did you get it? I'm looking get an X30 to
    replace my dead iPAQ 3950 (High Speed fair ride+improperly closed fanny
    pack) and a less than 300 price would put it within immediate Get It NOW
    range...

+ Reply to Thread