best voice recorder for pocket pc? built in ce version is better ! ? - Handheld

This is a discussion on best voice recorder for pocket pc? built in ce version is better ! ? - Handheld ; i have noticed a couple of things on my newer pocket pc (ipaq 3650) voice recorder versus the version on my older win ce device (my beloved cassiopeia e-100) * the ce version shows the remaining record time, but the ...

  1. best voice recorder for pocket pc? built in ce version is better ! ?

    i have noticed a couple of things on my newer pocket pc (ipaq 3650)
    voice recorder versus the version on my older win ce device (my
    beloved cassiopeia e-100)

    * the ce version shows the remaining record time, but the pocket pc
    one doesn't

    * the ce version lets you change the column width & order the file
    name / size / date, pocket pc doesn't

    * the ce version lets you rename the file without a hitch, but the
    pocket pc one often complains of illegal characters. you have no
    choice but to copy the name to the clipboard, force the program to
    end, and reopen voice recorder and rename the file by pasting the
    clipboard

    * the only problem the ce version has is it doesn't support recording
    at full 44.1 KHz

    by all counts the ce version has a better interface.

    can someone tell me if the pocket pc 2002 version corrects any of
    these deficiencies? or is there a 3rd party voice recorder that does?

    thanks

  2. Re: best voice recorder for pocket pc? built in ce version is better ! ?

    15 Oct 2004 07:17:01 -0700, Mad Scientist Jr:

    > * the ce version lets you change the column width & order the file
    > name / size / date, pocket pc doesn't
    >
    > * the ce version lets you rename the file without a hitch, but the
    > pocket pc one often complains of illegal characters. you have no
    > choice but to copy the name to the clipboard, force the program to
    > end, and reopen voice recorder and rename the file by pasting the
    > clipboard

    The issue of the columns and renaming can be done in another file
    manager. The voice recorder - as I understand you in this case - is
    nothing more than a window that shows only WAV files. If you use the
    built-in interface, you can change the sort order by tapping on "Name"
    on the top right. Then a dropdown appears that offers you the criteria
    you mentioned.
    --
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."
    http://www.stud.tu-ilmenau.de/~frst-ii/

  3. Re: best voice recorder for pocket pc? built in ce version is better ! ?

    thanks for your reply

    > The issue of the columns and renaming can be done in another file
    > manager.

    but why would i want to have to open a 2nd app, when being able to
    view in the 1st app is so much more convenient? the CE version was
    just better.

    > The voice recorder - as I understand you in this case - is
    > nothing more than a window that shows only WAV files. If you use the
    > built-in interface, you can change the sort order by tapping on "Name"
    > on the top right. Then a dropdown appears that offers you the criteria
    > you mentioned.

    you can change sort order, but again, you can't change the file view.
    the problem is, if a lot of files have long names, you can't even see
    the full name without going to program #2.

    urgh. microsoft, please restore the voice recorder to the way it was
    in CE !

  4. Re: best voice recorder for pocket pc? built in ce version is better ! ?

    18 Oct 2004 08:37:51 -0700, Mad Scientist Jr:

    > you can change sort order, but again, you can't change the file view.
    > the problem is, if a lot of files have long names, you can't even see
    > the full name without going to program #2.
    >
    > urgh. microsoft, please restore the voice recorder to the way it was
    > in CE !

    Yeah. But why not use a "normal" file manager? You need that anyway,
    since the so called File Explorer is a piece of c**p as well. From
    there you can start to play a WAV, and with the record hardware button
    you can start recording.
    --
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."
    http://www.stud.tu-ilmenau.de/~frst-ii/

  5. Re: best voice recorder for pocket pc? built in ce version is better ! ?

    I suppose. But when you compare the CE voice recorder with the new
    one, why remove functionality? It just doesn't make sense. Ah well.

    While I'm on my pocket pc complaining soapbox (don't get me wrong, i
    love the platform), has anyone noticed the older screens (such as in
    the cassiopeia e-100) are much more accurate & sensitive than the
    newer ones (such as in the iPAQ)? The newer design is visible in
    sunlight (a crucial improvement) but I also hear it is more fragile,
    and it definitely is less touch sensitive/accurate.

  6. Re: best voice recorder for pocket pc? built in ce version is better ! ?

    How about for Palm OS5? Found one, crashed it
    I think it was called simply Soundrec.
    For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
    Yeah, it's really a real address

  7. Re: best voice recorder for pocket pc? built in ce version is better ! ?

    the most useful feature missing from the pocket pc 2000 voice
    recorder, that the Win CE recorder on my cassiopeia has is, how many
    seconds of record time are left? i have no idea why they would ditch
    this feature!

+ Reply to Thread