Blackberry battery draining - Handheld

This is a discussion on Blackberry battery draining - Handheld ; We have many users with blackberry's on our BES server. Over the last few months, about 5 or 6 have reported their battery is not lasting a full day, whereas before, they used to last for 4 or 5 days. ...

  1. Blackberry battery draining

    We have many users with blackberry's on our BES server. Over the last
    few months, about 5 or 6 have reported their battery is not lasting a
    full day, whereas before, they used to last for 4 or 5 days. Some only
    last an hour or two.

    Is this normal? The Blackberrys are around a year old (mostly 6210
    models).

    I am used to mobile phones from 10 years ago whose batteries suffered
    like this after a year, but I though modern batteries should last at
    least two years.

    Am I being tight-fisted?!! Should I get new batteries or is the
    problem with the Blackberry mistakenly thinking it is low charge?

    Thanks for any useful advice,

    Mat G
    Birmingham, UK

  2. Re: Blackberry battery draining

    "Mat G" wrote in message
    news:4d46a596.0410130718.4aba5046@posting.google.c om...
    > We have many users with blackberry's on our BES server. Over the last
    > few months, about 5 or 6 have reported their battery is not lasting a
    > full day, whereas before, they used to last for 4 or 5 days. Some only
    > last an hour or two.
    >
    > Is this normal? The Blackberrys are around a year old (mostly 6210
    > models).
    >
    > I am used to mobile phones from 10 years ago whose batteries suffered
    > like this after a year, but I though modern batteries should last at
    > least two years.
    >
    > Am I being tight-fisted?!! Should I get new batteries or is the
    > problem with the Blackberry mistakenly thinking it is low charge?

    Lithium batteries lose capacity from the day they are manufactured. The
    manufacturers won't release any data on life but generally:

    If batteries are kept fully charged they lose around 20% of their original
    capacity per year.

    Further they lose 15-20% of their initial capacity for every 100
    charge/discharge cycles (Note: half discharging and charging is only half a
    cycle).

    For a frequently used battery, they may have unacceptable life after as
    little as 2 years. The position has improved in the 10 years or so that
    this battery type has been available but not that much. Even the modern
    Lithium polymer batteries exhibit the same characteristic.

    Ian.

+ Reply to Thread