Screen Orientation - Handheld

This is a discussion on Screen Orientation - Handheld ; As we are all aware most video content is shown either 4:3 or 16:9 landscape, whereas the screens of most PDAs are in portrait orientation. Is it possible on any of the machines to rotate the display so that a ...

  1. Screen Orientation

    As we are all aware most video content is shown either 4:3 or 16:9
    landscape, whereas the screens of most PDAs are in portrait orientation.

    Is it possible on any of the machines to rotate the display so that a video
    can be watched in landscape making maximum possible use of the screen?

    Tanel.

  2. Re: Screen Orientation

    "Tanel Kagan" wrote in message
    > As we are all aware most video content is shown either 4:3 or 16:9
    > landscape, whereas the screens of most PDAs are in portrait orientation.
    >
    > Is it possible on any of the machines to rotate the display so that a
    > video
    > can be watched in landscape making maximum possible use of the screen?
    >
    > Tanel.

    mmplayer will do it on a Palm Tungsten T3 and I think Kinoma Player does
    too.

  3. Re: Screen Orientation

    Microsoft's new operating system Mobile 2003 "second edition" offers user to
    rotate PDA's view 90 degrees.

    Unfortunately MickeySoft's way is NOT to offer new OS's to old handhelds,
    but you most propably have to buy a new hardware as well.

    -pekka [FIN]

    "Tanel Kagan" wrote in message
    > As we are all aware most video content is shown either 4:3 or 16:9
    > landscape, whereas the screens of most PDAs are in portrait orientation.
    >
    > Is it possible on any of the machines to rotate the display so that a

    video
    > can be watched in landscape making maximum possible use of the screen?
    >
    > Tanel.

  4. Re: Screen Orientation

    PKi wrote:

    > Microsoft's new operating system Mobile 2003 "second edition" offers user
    > to rotate PDA's view 90 degrees.
    >
    > Unfortunately MickeySoft's way is NOT to offer new OS's to old handhelds,
    > but you most propably have to buy a new hardware as well.

    Which brings me to the point that the Linux based devices running opie have
    this capability for long even on older PDAs *and* they do not require to
    buy a new device to keep up with current operating system versions.

    Oliver

  5. Re: Screen Orientation

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 10:51:50 +0200, Oliver Fels
    wrote:

    >PKi wrote:
    >
    >> Microsoft's new operating system Mobile 2003 "second edition" offers user
    >> to rotate PDA's view 90 degrees.

    >> Unfortunately MickeySoft's way is NOT to offer new OS's to old handhelds,
    >> but you most propably have to buy a new hardware as well.

    >Which brings me to the point that the Linux based devices running opie have
    >this capability for long even on older PDAs *and* they do not require to
    >buy a new device to keep up with current operating system versions.

    Actually, if you *only* need screen rotation for video, then you
    could do that with the older Microsoft devices. Some of the video
    players had the rotation, and even "full screen" viewing in the
    applications. Same with some still picture viewers.

    There were patches and tricks rotate the screen in some of the
    earlier versions of Pocket PC software (I think there was a way to
    rotate both my Casio 125 and my HP 540) but that did not help much
    since most of the applications would not work in any significant way
    in "landscape" mode.

    --
    The Moving Target: mobile information technology
    http://www.pathcom.com/~jimomura/

  6. Re: Screen Orientation

    "Tanel Kagan" wrote in message
    > As we are all aware most video content is shown either 4:3 or 16:9
    > landscape, whereas the screens of most PDAs are in portrait orientation.
    >
    > Is it possible on any of the machines to rotate the display so that a

    video
    > can be watched in landscape making maximum possible use of the screen?

    Media Player does it on the iPAQ (Pocket Windows). Strangely the image
    viewer does as well, but rotates the picture the other way.

    Ian.

  7. Re: Screen Orientation

    And MS Mobile 2003 second edition

    "Electric Fan Club" wrote in
    message news:416a6ddf$1_1@baen1673807.greenlnk.net...

    > "Tanel Kagan" wrote in message
    > > As we are all aware most video content is shown either 4:3 or 16:9
    > > landscape, whereas the screens of most PDAs are in portrait orientation.
    > >
    > > Is it possible on any of the machines to rotate the display so that a

    > video
    > > can be watched in landscape making maximum possible use of the screen?
    > >

    > Media Player does it on the iPAQ (Pocket Windows). Strangely the image
    > viewer does as well, but rotates the picture the other way.
    >
    > Ian.

+ Reply to Thread