Currency Conversion - Handheld

This is a discussion on Currency Conversion - Handheld ; Has anyone tried to use the currency converter built into the calculator applet on an iPAQ? It seems to be very selective as to what conversion rates it will remember. For example (using GBP as the base currency), if I ...

  1. Currency Conversion

    Has anyone tried to use the currency converter built into the calculator
    applet on an iPAQ?

    It seems to be very selective as to what conversion rates it will remember.
    For example (using GBP as the base currency), if I input the rate for Euro,
    US Dollars and Russian Rubles (I am off to Russia next week), I can freely
    convert between any and get the correct answer.

    However, If I close down calculator, and then restart it, the rates for both
    Euro and US Dollars have reverted to '1', but the rate for Russian Rubles
    remains at the value I set.

    Any ideas?

    Ian.

  2. Re: Currency Conversion

    On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 13:50:12 +0100, "Electric Fan Club"
    wrote:

    >Has anyone tried to use the currency converter built into the calculator
    >applet on an iPAQ?

    It doesn't work - it never has and MS isn't going to fix it. I
    identified that bug more than 2 years ago.

    Get yourself a copy of Worldmate; it has an excellent currency
    converter, as well as many other great features for travelers.

    http://www.mobimate.com/ppc/worldmate/se/index.shtml

    A_C

  3. Re: Currency Conversion

    "Agent_C" wrote in message
    > On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 13:50:12 +0100, "Electric Fan Club"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Has anyone tried to use the currency converter built into the calculator
    > >applet on an iPAQ?

    > It doesn't work - it never has and MS isn't going to fix it. I
    > identified that bug more than 2 years ago.
    >
    > Get yourself a copy of Worldmate; it has an excellent currency
    > converter, as well as many other great features for travelers.
    >
    > http://www.mobimate.com/ppc/worldmate/se/index.shtml

    Thanks for that. In fact I found out last night what the problem was - and
    the work around.

    The problem is that when you close down calculator, it saves the currency
    conversion rates to a file, but the rates are stored as integer, not real
    numbers. Hence the fractional part is truncated so, for example, 1.47 Euro
    to the pound becomes 1 Euro to the pound, 1.8 US dollars becomes 1 US dollar
    to the pound.

    The workaround is to create a new currency, call is something like 'Currency
    Base' and give it the ISO designation 'ZZZ'* (puts it at the bottom of the
    currency list). Make ZZZ the base currency and declare there to be 100 ZZZs
    in a GBP. Now you declare there to be 147 EUR to a ZZZ (or whatever the
    rate) and so on for all the currencies you wish to use. Voila - it works.

    * Or you could use one of the obscure currencies for a place that you are
    unlikely to visit, such as MNT, the Mongolian tugrik.

    Ian.

+ Reply to Thread