Cassiopeia, how to load sw from CF card?? - Handheld

This is a discussion on Cassiopeia, how to load sw from CF card?? - Handheld ; Cassiopeia, how to load sw from CF card?? I have a Cassiopeia E100. The battery charging circuit is busted, so I want to get some use out of it as an MP3 player running on external power. Here's the rub...without ...

  1. Cassiopeia, how to load sw from CF card??

    Cassiopeia, how to load sw from CF card??

    I have a Cassiopeia E100. The battery charging
    circuit is busted, so I want to get some use out of it
    as an MP3 player running on external power.

    Here's the rub...without a battery, it comes up virgin.
    It eats backup batteries for lunch when there's no main
    battery, so that's not an option.

    All I want to do is install the mp3 player from the CF card
    and then play the mp3s that are on the CF card.

    I can't find any way to execute a program from the virgin machine.
    I have to hook up the serial cable and install a program that
    can execute programs so I can execute the program that I want
    to play the mp3s that I want to listen to. That kinda defeats
    the whole purpose...

    Is there some way to execute the install program on the CF card
    from a virgin machine?
    Or maybe there's a place to put a program on the CF card
    that gets executed on power up...like autoexec.bat on a dos machine?

    Anybody got a dead E100 I can steal a FET off for cheap?

    Thanks, mike
    --
    Return address is VALID.
    Compaq Aero floppy,ram,battery.

  2. Re: Cassiopeia, how to load sw from CF card??

    "mike" wrote in message news:410CC6B7.7040703@juno.com...
    > Cassiopeia, how to load sw from CF card??
    >
    > I have a Cassiopeia E100. The battery charging
    > circuit is busted, so I want to get some use out of it
    > as an MP3 player running on external power.
    >
    > Here's the rub...without a battery, it comes up virgin.
    > It eats backup batteries for lunch when there's no main
    > battery, so that's not an option.
    >
    > All I want to do is install the mp3 player from the CF card
    > and then play the mp3s that are on the CF card.
    >
    > I can't find any way to execute a program from the virgin machine.
    > I have to hook up the serial cable and install a program that
    > can execute programs so I can execute the program that I want
    > to play the mp3s that I want to listen to. That kinda defeats
    > the whole purpose...
    >
    > Is there some way to execute the install program on the CF card
    > from a virgin machine?
    > Or maybe there's a place to put a program on the CF card
    > that gets executed on power up...like autoexec.bat on a dos machine?
    >
    > Anybody got a dead E100 I can steal a FET off for cheap?
    >
    > Thanks, mike
    > --
    > Return address is VALID.
    > Wanted, 12.1" LCD for Gateway Solo 5300. Samsung LT121SU-121
    > Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
    > Compaq Aero floppy,ram,battery.
    > FT-212RH 2-meter 45W transceiver. 2-meter linear
    > Toshiba & Compaq LiIon Batteries, Test Equipment
    > 30pS pulser, Tektronix Concept Books, spot welding head...
    > http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/

    Are you sure that it's the charging circuit and not just a worn out battery?
    This doesn't answer your particular question, however, if you want to bring
    your Cassiopeia back to life with a new battery, you can buy them from
    http://www.pdainternalbattery.com - then click on the appropriate link,
    your's will be http://www.cassiopeiabattery.com/ - and the battery for your
    model is $35 USD. Just another option.

  3. Re: Cassiopeia, how to load sw from CF card??

    clevelandtech wrote:
    > "mike" wrote in message news:410CC6B7.7040703@juno.com...
    >
    >>Cassiopeia, how to load sw from CF card??
    >>
    >>I have a Cassiopeia E100. The battery charging
    >>circuit is busted, so I want to get some use out of it
    >>as an MP3 player running on external power.
    >>
    >>Here's the rub...without a battery, it comes up virgin.
    >>It eats backup batteries for lunch when there's no main
    >>battery, so that's not an option.
    >>
    >>All I want to do is install the mp3 player from the CF card
    >>and then play the mp3s that are on the CF card.
    >>
    >>I can't find any way to execute a program from the virgin machine.
    >>I have to hook up the serial cable and install a program that
    >>can execute programs so I can execute the program that I want
    >>to play the mp3s that I want to listen to. That kinda defeats
    >>the whole purpose...
    >>
    >>Is there some way to execute the install program on the CF card
    >>from a virgin machine?
    >>Or maybe there's a place to put a program on the CF card
    >>that gets executed on power up...like autoexec.bat on a dos machine?
    >>
    >>Anybody got a dead E100 I can steal a FET off for cheap?
    >>
    >>Thanks, mike
    >>--
    >>Return address is VALID.
    >>Wanted, 12.1" LCD for Gateway Solo 5300. Samsung LT121SU-121
    >>Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
    >>Compaq Aero floppy,ram,battery.
    >>FT-212RH 2-meter 45W transceiver. 2-meter linear
    >>Toshiba & Compaq LiIon Batteries, Test Equipment
    >>30pS pulser, Tektronix Concept Books, spot welding head...
    >>http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/
    >>

    > Are you sure that it's the charging circuit and not just a worn out battery?

    Yep, it's a shorted FET. marked 8L:S2001. TSSOP-8 package.
    There are several in there, a bad board would likely have at least one
    good one.

    mike