Free database software recommendation? - Handheld

This is a discussion on Free database software recommendation? - Handheld ; Firstly, apologies for the x-posting but I'm buggered if I know which is *the* correct group in which to post this question. Can anybody help me on that one? Why do we need so many similar groups in the first ...

  1. Free database software recommendation?

    Firstly, apologies for the x-posting but I'm buggered if I know which is
    *the* correct group in which to post this question. Can anybody help me on
    that one? Why do we need so many similar groups in the first place?

    And now the main event....

    Can anyone recommend a free database application for a Palm Tungsten T3,
    that makes full use of the extended 480*320 display? I could make do with a
    simple flat file solution, although relational support would be nice to at
    least permit drop-down lists to be encoded. I also need the solution to
    allow me to import from an existing .csv file as I have 200 records in a
    spreadsheet at the moment and really do not want to retype the whole lot.

    At a pinch I can manage with the spreadsheet application that is part of
    Documents to GO, but I'd really like a full screen editor for each record,
    rather than just editing a field at a time along the length of each row.

    TIA,
    Tim.
    --
    Email address is munged. Please reply to newsgroup.

  2. Re: Free database software recommendation?

    On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 09:12:12 -0000, Tiny Tim said...

    --
    Just trying to help. Jim Anderson
    ( 8(|) To e-mail me, just pull 'my_finger'

  3. Re: Free database software recommendation?

    "Tiny Tim" <_tim_dodd@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:...
    > Firstly, apologies for the x-posting but I'm buggered if I know which is
    > *the* correct group in which to post this question. Can anybody help me on
    > that one? Why do we need so many similar groups in the first place?
    >
    > And now the main event....
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a free database application for a Palm Tungsten T3,
    > that makes full use of the extended 480*320 display? I could make do with a
    > simple flat file solution, although relational support would be nice to at
    > least permit drop-down lists to be encoded. I also need the solution to
    > allow me to import from an existing .csv file as I have 200 records in a
    > spreadsheet at the moment and really do not want to retype the whole lot.
    >
    > At a pinch I can manage with the spreadsheet application that is part of
    > Documents to GO, but I'd really like a full screen editor for each record,
    > rather than just editing a field at a time along the length of each row.
    >
    > TIA,
    > Tim.

    Since I don't have a T3, I can't tell you whether or not it will do
    full screen, but I can tell you that probably the best free datebase
    program for Palm is Pilot-DB. It even has plugins that let you open
    MobileDB and JFile databases. I think it has a Windoze program that
    lets you create databases that you sync to your Palm.

    Check it out and see if it will let you edit full screen:
    http://www.freewarepalm.com/database/db(pilot-db).shtml

  4. Re: Free database software recommendation?

    On 5 Mar 2004 07:48:02 -0800, nusm@nettaxi.com (John Newsome) wrote:

    >"Tiny Tim" <_tim_dodd@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:...
    >> Firstly, apologies for the x-posting but I'm buggered if I know which is
    >> *the* correct group in which to post this question. Can anybody help me on
    >> that one? Why do we need so many similar groups in the first place?
    >>
    >> And now the main event....
    >>
    >> Can anyone recommend a free database application for a Palm Tungsten T3,
    >> that makes full use of the extended 480*320 display? I could make do with a
    >> simple flat file solution, although relational support would be nice to at
    >> least permit drop-down lists to be encoded. I also need the solution to
    >> allow me to import from an existing .csv file as I have 200 records in a
    >> spreadsheet at the moment and really do not want to retype the whole lot.
    >>
    >> At a pinch I can manage with the spreadsheet application that is part of
    >> Documents to GO, but I'd really like a full screen editor for each record,
    >> rather than just editing a field at a time along the length of each row.
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >> Tim.

    >Since I don't have a T3, I can't tell you whether or not it will do
    >full screen, but I can tell you that probably the best free datebase
    >program for Palm is Pilot-DB. It even has plugins that let you open
    >MobileDB and JFile databases. I think it has a Windoze program that
    >lets you create databases that you sync to your Palm.
    >
    >Check it out and see if it will let you edit full screen:
    >http://www.freewarepalm.com/database/db(pilot-db).shtml

    I do have a T3, and can tell you that Pilot-DB will not use the
    extended display. At least the version I have doesn't, v.1.1.0 (14 Nov
    2003).

    That aside, I agree with John's assessment of Pilot-DB. It's an
    excellent flat file database program, and the desktop application,
    DB-Editor, is great as well.

    Since your data apparently is in a spreadsheet, how about trying a
    freeware spreadsheet program. I've seen lots of good comments about
    FreeGrid, although I don't know if it can use the 480*320 display
    either.

    Cheers.

    Larry

  5. Re: Free database software recommendation?

    Larry wrote:
    > On 5 Mar 2004 07:48:02 -0800, nusm@nettaxi.com (John Newsome) wrote:
    >
    >> "Tiny Tim" <_tim_dodd@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > I do have a T3, and can tell you that Pilot-DB will not use the
    > extended display. At least the version I have doesn't, v.1.1.0 (14 Nov
    > 2003).
    >
    > That aside, I agree with John's assessment of Pilot-DB. It's an
    > excellent flat file database program, and the desktop application,
    > DB-Editor, is great as well.
    >
    > Since your data apparently is in a spreadsheet, how about trying a
    > freeware spreadsheet program. I've seen lots of good comments about
    > FreeGrid, although I don't know if it can use the 480*320 display
    > either.
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > Larry

    The data is in a spreadsheet as a temporary interim measure. It's actually
    dive log data for 200 dives that I used to maintain as a database, firstly
    on a Psion 3c and then a Psion Revo. I've now converted to Palm and would
    like to migrate all that old data to a db format for the Palm. I already
    have a Palm spreadsheet in the form of Docs to Go but I want something that
    allows full screen editing of a record at a time.

    I've looked at bespoke dive log software but can't find anything that (a)
    works on the T3 without crashing or other unacceptable features (b) is in my
    price band and (c) allows import of my 200 records of data. Hence I'd like
    to knock up a simple database that will allow me to import and fiddle with
    the data structure at will. I dare say I'll find plenty of uses for it in
    the future.

    I'll take a proper look at Pilot-DB or maybe cough up for Mobile-db if
    necessary. Thanks for your replies :-)

    --
    Please remove leading underscore to reply by email.

+ Reply to Thread