Re: annotated ebooks of classic and foreign lit? - Handheld

This is a discussion on Re: annotated ebooks of classic and foreign lit? - Handheld ; Good day, > Of course the reason all my books lack the above is probably these are > all books scanned for free - I got them from free sites (Gutenberg or > Memoware, etc.). And so I don't expect ...

  1. Re: annotated ebooks of classic and foreign lit?

    Good day,

    > Of course the reason all my books lack the above is probably these are
    > all books scanned for free - I got them from free sites (Gutenberg or
    > Memoware, etc.). And so I don't expect them to have put in the extra
    > labor to scan an annotated text into ebook format or put word
    > definitions in their texts.

    The problem is that although the text of the book itself is open domain,
    annotations and comments (depending on when they were written) are
    probably still under copyright.

    As for dictionary definitions, the MobiPocket format (i.e., using
    MobiPocket Reader) allows you to click on any word and then too look up
    a dictionary. Of course, you will have to BUY a dictionary in the
    MobiPocker format and I don't know of one that is free... ;-)

    Best regards,
    Michael Tam

    --
    -------------------------------------
    Michael Tam

  2. Re: annotated ebooks of classic and foreign lit?

    Michael Tam wrote:
    >The problem is that although the text of the book itself is open domain,
    >annotations and comments (depending on when they were written) are
    >probably still under copyright.
    >
    >As for dictionary definitions, the MobiPocket format (i.e., using
    >MobiPocket Reader) allows you to click on any word and then too look up
    >a dictionary. Of course, you will have to BUY a dictionary in the
    >MobiPocker format and I don't know of one that is free... ;-)

    Michael,

    I am aware of why the annotations, etc. of particularly good editions
    were not included - in fact the point of my post was that I wouldn't
    expect them to be included in the free stuff from Project Gutenberg.
    But it seemed likely that some enterprising publisher would sell those
    books like they are selling all those best sellers. Just seems
    strange there isn't at least a small market for *buying* such books.

    Thanks for the Mobipocket suggestion - I have seen their name around
    and will try either them or one of the others. For example Beiks
    seems to have quite a few dictionaries though I didn't see whether
    they had the "resident word lookup feature." Also there are the
    UltraLingua dictionaries that do claim that feature. Again I have no
    problem paying for the dictionaries or quality books, just looking for
    personal suggestions and/or pointers to such books as what I have
    found so far seems sub-par whether $$ or free.

    thanks,

    Adam

  3. Re: annotated ebooks of classic and foreign lit?

    Good day,

    > Thanks for the Mobipocket suggestion - I have seen their name around
    > and will try either them or one of the others. For example Beiks
    > seems to have quite a few dictionaries though I didn't see whether
    > they had the "resident word lookup feature." Also there are the
    > UltraLingua dictionaries that do claim that feature. Again I have no
    > problem paying for the dictionaries or quality books, just looking for
    > personal suggestions and/or pointers to such books as what I have
    > found so far seems sub-par whether $$ or free.

    MobiPocket is an eBook reader and there are many eBooks released in the
    MobiPocket format... including many current top sellers.

    I believe the Oxford dictionaries are available in the MobiPocket format.

    Best regards,
    Michael Tam

    --
    Michael Tam