Help with finding best PDA for me - Handheld

This is a discussion on Help with finding best PDA for me - Handheld ; I am so confused about all the differences of PDA's. Are there any web sites that might allow me to select the features I need and come up with the PDA that contains those features? I've done searches in Google ...

  1. Help with finding best PDA for me

    I am so confused about all the differences of PDA's. Are there any web
    sites that might allow me to select the features I need and come up with the
    PDA that contains those features? I've done searches in Google with
    "pda+comparisons" but haven't found a site that could point me to the pda
    that meets my needs.

    I have a Sony Clie PEG-S320 that I lost the power adapter for and instead of
    buying a new adapter, thought I'd upgrade.

    I would need something that retains information for as long as 1 wk or more
    between uses since I like to keep it in my car for addresses and telephone
    #s and also use it to write emails to then synch to my Outlook. The
    following are nice but not a dealbreaker if not available: 1) color
    choices 2) hard front cover 3) carrying case.

    I am thinking that with a memory stick in the PDA, it would retain
    information longer, is that correct thinking? My Clie would lose power in
    my car and when I needed it most, it was worthless. I was so frustrated
    synching from scratch that I gave up using it.

    Can anyone show me a site where I can make choices of convenience and they
    provide the PDA that matches? Or if you can help me with the choices I
    indicated above? I know the more users that can provide input, the better
    chance I will have of finding the one I will use continuously. Even the
    cost doesn't matter if I will be able to retain the information on it, then
    I would use it.

    TIA for any help.......... katy

  2. Re: Help with finding best PDA for me

    (long, but requested details provided: TH55)

    Katy,
    If one of your primary concerns is battery life, I'd take a long look
    at Sony's new TH55, which lists for $399. It seems that Sony was
    particularly sensitive to the fact that, as a general rule, a PDA with
    a comparatively large screen as well as a built-in WiFi component,
    usually spells death as regards battery life. And they did a great job
    of tackling it. Bottom-line, in terms of my real world usage-- even if
    you play background music throughout the day; and enter
    tasks/appointments, memos, addresses throughout the day; and engage in
    several hours of WiFi surfing; and read numerous articles---- the
    battery seldom dips below 50%. Translated, that means that if I'm
    taking a weekend trip, I no longer have to be concerned with taking
    the charger.

    Despite a screen which is twice the length of most PalmOS devices, the
    TH55 is a slim, trim, sleek, and sturdy, which means it's convenient
    to carry. It has a built-in smoky transparent flip screen, which sits
    up at an angle while in use-- sort of like a baseball cap.

    It also offers a first for such devices-- stick with me while I try to
    exlain this from a hands-on perspective. Like every other Palm, it has
    the native 4 core apps (addresses, memo's, ToDo's and DateBook). But
    it also has a parallel set of apps, dubbed the "Clie Organizer". It
    reads and uses the same DB's as the native apps; but, it also has
    separate DBs, which will read handwritten text added directly to those
    apps. Example: you have previously entered, via Graffiti or one of the
    standard "text" methods, a 2:00p.m. appointment for March 3, 2004.
    Someone calls and tells you to bring XYZ to the meeting. You can:
    -- go to the standard DB and Graffiti in the additional info
    -- ditto via the Clie Org's DateBook
    -- enter a true handwritten note, directly on the March 3rd page, next
    to the 2p.m. appointment.
    Think of it as pretty much superimposing BugMe's handwriting feature
    over the native apps.

    To better accommodate the above feature, the 4th hard button is
    dedicated to still another new/unique feature: the Data Assistant.
    Think: apps such as DayNotez allow you to create, say, a ToDo from an
    entry. The D.A. is similar, but more powerful. Usage examples:

    -- I'm on the Net, WiFi surfing via the built-in (magnificent)
    NetFront browser. I see a blurb about a book I might want to read
    later. I select the relevant text, hit the 4th hard button, & choose
    "New MemoPad data". The highlighted text shoots to the memopad app
    (simultaneously, standard and Clie Org), where I'm taken in case I
    want to add a note. Since D.A. by default lands you in the Sony-ized
    versions of the stock apps, I can handwrite my comment.
    -- Same surf, but I want to email the blurb instead. D.A. has that
    option as well.

    There is also a "Free Notes" app. You can handwrite whatever, up to
    two screens' worth.

    Final example. You're in the car, at a traffic light , and decide
    to take a quickie voice memo. Later, you want to link that voice memo
    to a ToDo entry you're making. You open a new-feature contents area,
    just above the virtual graffiti area, and drag & drop it to that new
    ToDo entry. There's also a handy camera-- you can similarly drag/drop
    a pic to whichever Sony-ized app.

    =====
    Suggestion: you're on the right track gathering opinions. Once you
    narrow down the list to a tentative few, if it's a Sony, go to the
    relevant forum at cliesource.com to find out about bugs you might
    encounter. If it's a PalmOne device, hit Brighthand.com and
    PalmOneCity.com's forums for the same reason. I initially got a T-C,
    but I knew going in that I was taking a chance, as Brighthand's forums
    alerted me to serious quality issues. Sure enough, within the first
    ten days, the screen fried itself, and the device kept wiping out it's
    MAC address. Because I had educated myself before, I didn't panic.
    Knew what was happening, so I just returned it and grabbed the TH55 in
    its place.

    BBRenegade

    "Katy" wrote in message news:<104a9ertdnd7tcc@corp.supernews.com>...
    > I would need something that retains information for as long as 1 wk or more
    > between uses since I like to keep it in my car for addresses and telephone
    > #s and also use it to write emails to then synch to my Outlook. The
    > following are nice but not a dealbreaker if not available: 1) color
    > choices 2) hard front cover 3) carrying case.

  3. Re: Help with finding best PDA for me

    Well Kati, my advice would be to stick with Sony and to avoid AT ALL
    COSTS the HP jornada series.

    On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 18:24:47 -0600, "Katy"
    wrote:

    >I am so confused about all the differences of PDA's. Are there any web
    >sites that might allow me to select the features I need and come up with the
    >PDA that contains those features? I've done searches in Google with
    >"pda+comparisons" but haven't found a site that could point me to the pda
    >that meets my needs.
    >
    >I have a Sony Clie PEG-S320 that I lost the power adapter for and instead of
    >buying a new adapter, thought I'd upgrade.
    >
    >I would need something that retains information for as long as 1 wk or more
    >between uses since I like to keep it in my car for addresses and telephone
    >#s and also use it to write emails to then synch to my Outlook. The
    >following are nice but not a dealbreaker if not available: 1) color
    >choices 2) hard front cover 3) carrying case.
    >
    >I am thinking that with a memory stick in the PDA, it would retain
    >information longer, is that correct thinking? My Clie would lose power in
    >my car and when I needed it most, it was worthless. I was so frustrated
    >synching from scratch that I gave up using it.
    >
    >Can anyone show me a site where I can make choices of convenience and they
    >provide the PDA that matches? Or if you can help me with the choices I
    >indicated above? I know the more users that can provide input, the better
    >chance I will have of finding the one I will use continuously. Even the
    >cost doesn't matter if I will be able to retain the information on it, then
    >I would use it.
    >
    >TIA for any help.......... katy

  4. Re: Help with finding best PDA for me

    Thank you BB..... I took a look around, including Ebay and here is something
    that caught my eye for price and inclusion package:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=38331
    It looks like it has everything but the additional memory stick. 15 days
    is good battery life. But would buying additional memory stick improve on
    memory life? or just space for pics and video?

    If I understand right, I could make voice notes to myself on that PDA that
    could be used as reminders? I would love that in the car. I definately
    WOULD use the photo feature. I just want enough memory to retain my
    addresses & phone numbers and memo reminders to myself. Am I confusing
    memory with power? Which feature would I need to retain my address, phone
    numbers for long periods before recharging? Does memory stick hold data?

    Which brings me to next question, it comes with this hotsync cable so I can
    sync my Outlook address book to the PDA? I was able to synch with my
    current Clie but it has a cradle. Would I need a cradle to hotsync to
    Outlook or just the cable? I would prefer not having to buy much extra.

    This Ebay seller is a Power Seller and has 99.9% Positive Feedback. Also
    there is one at NewEgg:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...201-021&depa=0
    I THINK they both offer the same packages. That price is doable since it
    will be something I can USE for a change without losing data.

    This is an excellent choice and I thank you for suggesting it. If you have
    time, I would really appreciate clarity on my need for data retention, ie is
    it power or memory?

    TIA for all your help!!!!
    katy

    "BBRenegade" wrote in message
    news:40132a3d.0403030732.3ea7ca16@posting.google.c om...
> [...]
    > but I knew going in that I was taking a chance, as Brighthand's forums
    > alerted me to serious quality issues. Sure enough, within the first
    > ten days, the screen fried itself, and the device kept wiping out it's
    > MAC address. Because I had educated myself before, I didn't panic.
    > Knew what was happening, so I just returned it and grabbed the TH55 in
    > its place.
    >

    > BBRenegade
    >
    > "Katy" wrote in message

    > > I would need something that retains information for as long as 1 wk or

    more
    > > between uses since I like to keep it in my car for addresses and

    telephone
    > > #s and also use it to write emails to then synch to my Outlook. The
    > > following are nice but not a dealbreaker if not available: 1) color
    > > choices 2) hard front cover 3) carrying case.

  5. Re: Help with finding best PDA for me

    As an alternative. you might want to look at the iPaq series. For example,
    you could pick up h1940 iPaq for less than 200 on eBay (270 (ish) retail),
    with decent battery, good software (pocket Outlook, Excel, Word) plus loads
    of 3rd party software. But best of all, Blueooth, so you can sync without
    any cables or cradles. And it'll wirelessly connect to a bluetooth mobile
    (Nokia 6310i, Motorola V525 etc) to let you connect when out.

    And yes, I am biased, I own a shiny new h1940. used to have a Sony Clie but
    it was rubbish compared to the iPaq!

    regards
    Paul

    "Katy" wrote in message
    > I am so confused about all the differences of PDA's. Are there any web
    > sites that might allow me to select the features I need and come up with

    the
    > PDA that contains those features? I've done searches in Google with
    > "pda+comparisons" but haven't found a site that could point me to the pda
    > that meets my needs.
    >
    > I have a Sony Clie PEG-S320 that I lost the power adapter for and instead

    of
    > buying a new adapter, thought I'd upgrade.
    >
    > I would need something that retains information for as long as 1 wk or

    more
    > between uses since I like to keep it in my car for addresses and telephone
    > #s and also use it to write emails to then synch to my Outlook. The
    > following are nice but not a dealbreaker if not available: 1) color
    > choices 2) hard front cover 3) carrying case.
    >
    > I am thinking that with a memory stick in the PDA, it would retain
    > information longer, is that correct thinking? My Clie would lose power

    in
    > my car and when I needed it most, it was worthless. I was so frustrated
    > synching from scratch that I gave up using it.
    >
    > Can anyone show me a site where I can make choices of convenience and they
    > provide the PDA that matches? Or if you can help me with the choices I
    > indicated above? I know the more users that can provide input, the

    better
    > chance I will have of finding the one I will use continuously. Even the
    > cost doesn't matter if I will be able to retain the information on it,

    then
    > I would use it.
    >
    > TIA for any help.......... katy

    ---