Handheld for writing text/code? - Handheld

This is a discussion on Handheld for writing text/code? - Handheld ; Hi, I have no knowledge whatsoever about handhelds, but what I am looking for is this: some small portable device where I can write and format text, preferable with a keyboard integrated. I have changed jobs and has to travel ...

  1. Handheld for writing text/code?

    Hi,

    I have no knowledge whatsoever about handhelds, but what I am looking
    for is this:
    some small portable device where I can write and format text,
    preferable with a keyboard integrated.

    I have changed jobs and has to travel 2.5 hours per day with
    underground/bus/etc, and a laptop is to big and heavy to bring along.
    I am looking for something with a resonable price, basically I just
    want to have "a portable emacs where I can scribble down ideas/text or
    pieces of code"

  2. Re: Handheld for writing text/code?

    On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 13:09:55 +0100, Mike Smith wrote:

    > am looking for something with a resonable price, basically I just want
    > to have "a portable emacs where I can scribble down ideas/text or pieces
    > of code"

    You may try one of the SHARP Zaurus Linux PDAs
    http://tuxmobil.org/pda_survey_sharp.html

    Werner

    --
    |=| Werner Heuser = Berliner Str. 122 = D-13187 Berlin = Germany
    |=| T. 0049 - (0)30 - 349 53 86
    |*| This is no time for phony rhetoric -- Lou Reed

  3. Re: Handheld for writing text/code?

    Much as I like clamshell handhelds with keyboards, they are scarce.
    The following might satisfy your needs, if you can find one (most are
    no longer made):
    HP 100 or 200 (DOS)
    NEC 770, 780, 790 (Windows CE)
    HP 680, 720, 780 (Windows CE)
    Psion (Symbian?)

    I'm quite sure several emacs clones exist for DOS. They should run
    well on the HP DOS computers. I'm not sure about clones for Windows CE
    per se. But XTCE and Pocket DOS emulate DOS under Windows CE (so you
    would be using a DOS-based emulation of emacs in a DOS emulator under
    Windows CE).

    For more info about Windows CE possibilities, check the comparisons on
    Chris De Herrera's site:
    http://www.cewindows.net/

    On 1 Mar 2004 04:09:55 -0800, dontreplybymail@yahoo.co.uk (Mike Smith)
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have no knowledge whatsoever about handhelds, but what I am looking
    >for is this:
    >some small portable device where I can write and format text,
    >preferable with a keyboard integrated.
    >
    >I have changed jobs and has to travel 2.5 hours per day with
    >underground/bus/etc, and a laptop is to big and heavy to bring along.
    >I am looking for something with a resonable price, basically I just
    >want to have "a portable emacs where I can scribble down ideas/text or
    >pieces of code"

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
    Boston, MA 02118
    www.penfact.com

  4. Re: Handheld for writing text/code?

    r> Much as I like clamshell handhelds with keyboards, they are scarce.
    r> The following might satisfy your needs, if you can find one (most are
    r> no longer made):
    r> HP 100 or 200 (DOS)
    r> NEC 770, 780, 790 (Windows CE)
    r> HP 680, 720, 780 (Windows CE)
    r> Psion (Symbian?)

    r> I'm quite sure several emacs clones exist for DOS.

    There is quite decent eEmacs for Psion / Revo / Mako:
    http://dbrechalov.narod.ru/library/S...on/english.htm
    I use it to maintain a 2Mbyte dictionary source file in my Mako
    (= Psion Revo+).

    Of course, there are also eWord and (text) Editor from Symbian as
    well, but these do not have regexps etc.

    [...]

    --
    Sergei

  5. Re: Handheld for writing text/code?

    r_z_aret@pen_fact.com wrote in message news:<0lv640p82v66utggj3fgadjfk12c4n142h@4ax.com>...
    > Much as I like clamshell handhelds with keyboards, they are scarce.
    > The following might satisfy your needs, if you can find one (most are
    > no longer made):
    > HP 100 or 200 (DOS)
    > NEC 770, 780, 790 (Windows CE)
    > HP 680, 720, 780 (Windows CE)
    > Psion (Symbian?)

    Hi, thanks for the info!
    Dont get hanged up on the "emacs"-thing, what I meant was that I want
    to be able to enter and edit text in an easy way (I like emacs but it
    must not be),
    the important thing is that the keyboard is user friendly
    (it should not be uncomfortable tipping on it, I want to have the look
    and feel so close as possible to that of a normal computer keyboard,
    but still small enough to fit in my jacket

    a flashy user interface is nice, but not necessary, plain text
    interface is fine if it is comfortable to work with.

    in other words, I want the a really good text editor (for a resonable
    price), everything else comes second.

    any of the above mention handhelds that you can specifically
    recommend?
    (they all seem to be available at eBay)

  6. Re: Handheld for writing text/code?

    On 2 Mar 2004 23:06:48 -0800, dontreplybymail@yahoo.co.uk (Mike Smith)
    wrote:

    >r_z_aret@pen_fact.com wrote in message news:<0lv640p82v66utggj3fgadjfk12c4n142h@4ax.com>...
    >> Much as I like clamshell handhelds with keyboards, they are scarce.
    >> The following might satisfy your needs, if you can find one (most are
    >> no longer made):
    >> HP 100 or 200 (DOS)
    >> NEC 770, 780, 790 (Windows CE)
    >> HP 680, 720, 780 (Windows CE)
    >> Psion (Symbian?)
    >>

    >Hi, thanks for the info!
    >Dont get hanged up on the "emacs"-thing, what I meant was that I want
    >to be able to enter and edit text in an easy way (I like emacs but it
    >must not be),
    >the important thing is that the keyboard is user friendly
    >(it should not be uncomfortable tipping on it, I want to have the look
    >and feel so close as possible to that of a normal computer keyboard,
    >but still small enough to fit in my jacket
    >
    >a flashy user interface is nice, but not necessary, plain text
    >interface is fine if it is comfortable to work with.
    >
    >in other words, I want the a really good text editor (for a resonable
    >price), everything else comes second.
    >
    >any of the above mention handhelds that you can specifically
    >recommend?
    >(they all seem to be available at eBay)

    No specific recommendations.

    But I suspect one reason clamshells are not popular is because their
    keyboards are too challenging. I use a Toshiba Libretto (small laptop
    running Win 98) a lot. I have small fingers and am a good
    touch-typist. I definitely struggle for the first few minutes, then
    find it only a bit bothersome.

    I also have an HP 620, which I got as a relative's discard. I've used
    it very little, mostly because it is slow, and not much smaller than
    the Libretto. Its keyboard is definitely smaller than the Libretto's
    and "chicklet" style (convex, rather than concave, and with gaps
    between). I just tried a quick test and found I could touch type well
    enough.

    I carried around a Casio PA2400 for a while. Even slower than the HP
    620, and with a smaller keyboard. But I didn't have the Libretto then,
    and the smaller size meant it really was portable. I even kept using
    it for a while after several keys stopped working. I still miss it,
    but not enough to get a "new" one.

    Another option would be to get a Pocket PC or Palm with external
    keyboard. I've never tried, because I'm perhaps more bothered by
    narrow displays than by odd keyboards.

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
    Boston, MA 02118
    www.penfact.com

  7. Re: Handheld for writing text/code?

    Mike Smith wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have no knowledge whatsoever about handhelds, but what I am looking
    > for is this:
    > some small portable device where I can write and format text,
    > preferable with a keyboard integrated.
    >
    > I have changed jobs and has to travel 2.5 hours per day with
    > underground/bus/etc, and a laptop is to big and heavy to bring along.
    > I am looking for something with a resonable price, basically I just
    > want to have "a portable emacs where I can scribble down ideas/text or
    > pieces of code"

    what about a cybiko extreme, it has a keyboard which I find easy to use,
    and its cheap, 25 + vat + postage from cpc.co.uk in the UK.
    atb
    Orangeal

+ Reply to Thread