PDA for busy tech consultant - Handheld

This is a discussion on PDA for busy tech consultant - Handheld ; In article , me6@privacy.net wrote: > So you are saying that it is impossible to do ALL the commands with a > thumb board that is available via pen? That's right. The thumb board can not be used to activate ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 47 of 47

  1. Re: PDA for busy tech consultant

    In article ,
    me6@privacy.net wrote:

    > So you are saying that it is impossible to do ALL the commands with a
    > thumb board that is available via pen?

    That's right. The thumb board can not be used to activate on screen
    controls, which make up a good percentage of the Palm's interface.

    > I just assumed that the thumb board allowed all the features of
    > commands and navigation that is available via pen..... i.e. that one
    > could use either method inter-changably?

    The thumb board can input text, including activation of shortcuts. It
    can also go to next/previous field in well written apps. All of these
    are replacements for Grafitti strokes.

  2. Re: PDA for busy tech consultant

    In article ,
    me6@privacy.net writes:
    >>No, you have to buy them second hand.

    >Which model do your recommend?

    The 5mx is the best one, the 5 being good, too. Its only limitations: no
    spreadsheet, slower CPU will not be a problem for you I guess.

    The revo is smaller, so more transportable, but its keyboard may be less
    good (less travel - I didnt test it), and the integrated battery can be
    flaky.

    >And where to buy them second hand?

    ebay or similar. Be careful, the psion wear they internal cable
    connecting the screen and main unit, so try to buy one that have been
    either not much used, or whose cable has been changed recently. Changing
    the cable is expensive (160 euros)

    --
    Colas Nahaboo, ILOG R&D Sophia Antipolis, http://colas.nahaboo.net

  3. Re: PDA for busy tech consultant

    On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 20:35:12 -0800, "Todd Shillam"
    wrote:

    >Do they still make Psions? Are they really all that different?

    Psion gave up making the 5mx and Revo around 2002 and basically
    got totally out of consumer PDAs. The hardware is now very
    dated, as the basic Psion 5 design came out in 1997, and really
    only had a speed doubling when the 5mx replaced it.

    Are they really all that different? I think so. A Psion can
    totally replace a PC for many small business purposes, not
    excluding time scheduling, billing, invoicing and so on. I'm
    currently attempting to replace my Psion NetBook (large for a
    PDA) with an Apple Powerbook, and so far there are numerous Psion
    applications (project management, GPS mapping) for which I
    haven't found equivalent functionality in the Macintosh (although
    there are others like networking, graphics and sound where the
    Mac is well ahead).

    --
    Eric Lindsay http://www.ericlindsay.com/airlie
    Airlie Beach Qld Australia - Great Barrier Reef entry

  4. Re: PDA for busy tech consultant

    Another thing to consider is the trouble ticket system you use (if you're in
    a corporation that uses something.)

    I know that Service Center and Remedium both have interfaces for PDA's. -
    You synchronize in the beginning of the work day - have tickets with you.
    Make notes, entries, etc on the PDA - then later in the day, maybe at lunch
    (if you get near your desk at lunch) sync again. Then at the end of the
    day - sync again. notes and entries you've made through out the day will
    sync up.

    Of course - your company would have to have the add-on module purchased to
    do this.

    The other things you've mentioned could be handled on either Palm or PPC
    platform. I have more than a dozen Palm / Handheld PC / Pocket PC's that I
    have used over the years. Either platform can do just about everything
    you'd want - so I'll leave that discussion for others.

    wrote in message
    > I'm a server/network consultant, and I've gotten to the point where a
    > hardcover notebook doesn't cut it any more. I may visit several clients

    on
    > any one day. I'm too busy, have too many notes to make, my scheduling is
    > too complex and unpredictable. It's too hard to keep track of all my
    > action items, let alone what I can bill for.
    >
    > I think I'm finally going to have to get a PDA. But which? Many people
    > swear by their Palms -- apparently the software is well designed, and has

    > good user interface. Others like the Pocket PCs -- and they do seem to
    > have an edge in terms of networking and PC integration.
    >
    > While I like the Pocket PC's advantages, I really need something that

    makes
    > it easy to keep a wide variety of notes and billing info, and recall it on
    > demand. I need to be able to make notes _quickly_, or I won't bother to
    > use it.
    >
    > I need a great to-do list manager -- NOT the same as scheduler,
    > because what I do is very hard to schedule (a call can easily take
    > -50%/+100% of what I expect), and NOT project management software. But I
    > do need to keep track of all the things I (or a sub) need to do for

    various
    > clients, by client and, preferably, orderable by priority. Then track
    > what's been completed, when, how long it took, what parts or software

    might
    > have been required, and notes for site technical records.
    >
    > Someone I know has a Palm Tungsten with a thumb-keyboard, and he has

    macros
    > for filling in client info. Looks okay. Somebody else has a Pocket PC

    and
    > raves about how well it reads handwriting -- my printing will be a
    > challenge for it. And maybe I should be looking at one of those Tablets.
    >
    > I'd love a discussion for what works for you folks.
    >
    > /kenw
    > Ken Wallewein
    > K&M Systems Integration
    > Phone (403)274-7848
    > Fax (403)275-4535
    > kenw@kmsi.net
    > www.kmsi.net

  5. Re: PDA for busy tech consultant

    palm voice recording works just well enough that I am utterly depedant
    on it. But it crashes. Not that often, but I wonder what todo items
    the damned thing has eaten. There is a known bug in the voice memo
    software that causes certain messages to 'poison' the palm, crashing
    the unit regularly. They won't back up properly, you can't play them,
    you can't select them to delete them. You're screwed. In theory, I
    love the concept. I record a memo and set an alarm on the recording.
    Then my Palm tells me to do whatever it was when it's time. As it is,
    I am looking for another device that will fill this need for me. Tat
    really stings because I am a longtime avid palm fan.

  6. Re: PDA for busy tech consultant

    footzilla wrote:

    > palm voice recording works just well enough that I am utterly depedant
    > on it. But it crashes. Not that often, but I wonder what todo items
    > the damned thing has eaten. There is a known bug in the voice memo
    > software that causes certain messages to 'poison' the palm, crashing
    > the unit regularly. They won't back up properly, you can't play them,
    > you can't select them to delete them. You're screwed. In theory, I
    > love the concept. I record a memo and set an alarm on the recording.
    > Then my Palm tells me to do whatever it was when it's time. As it is,
    > I am looking for another device that will fill this need for me.

    Hmm, sounds like a software problem. Have you thought about getting
    some software to replace the built-in voice memo software?

    Personal Audio Recorder PRO seems like it might do the trick:

    http://www.toysoft.ca/par.html

    I haven't tried it out personally, though.

    - Logan

  7. Re: PDA for busy tech consultant

    "Logan Shaw" wrote in message
    > footzilla wrote:
    >
    >> palm voice recording works just well enough that I am utterly depedant
    >> on it. But it crashes. Not that often, but I wonder what todo items
    >> the damned thing has eaten. There is a known bug in the voice memo
    >> software that causes certain messages to 'poison' the palm, crashing
    >> the unit regularly. They won't back up properly, you can't play them,
    >> you can't select them to delete them. You're screwed. In theory, I
    >> love the concept. I record a memo and set an alarm on the recording.
    >> Then my Palm tells me to do whatever it was when it's time. As it is,
    >> I am looking for another device that will fill this need for me.

    > Hmm, sounds like a software problem. Have you thought about getting
    > some software to replace the built-in voice memo software?
    >
    > Personal Audio Recorder PRO seems like it might do the trick:
    >
    > http://www.toysoft.ca/par.html
    >
    > I haven't tried it out personally, though.
    >
    > - Logan

    I see from your link that there's a free trial. Then I realised that I'm
    still not fully awake yet, there was no reason for me to look at it since my
    T|E doesn't do that! Like, duh.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3