HP IPAQ 4100 newbe questions - Handheld

This is a discussion on HP IPAQ 4100 newbe questions - Handheld ; I am a complete novice on this PDA (HP IPAQ 4100) and how the wireless, modem and/or Bluetooth work. If I am near my wireless home network, I can access the internet via the IPAQ. But that doesn't buy me ...

  1. HP IPAQ 4100 newbe questions

    I am a complete novice on this PDA (HP IPAQ 4100) and how the wireless,
    modem and/or Bluetooth work. If I am near my wireless home network, I
    can access the internet via the IPAQ. But that doesn't buy me much, I
    could just log onto the internet from my PC. I can't figure out what I
    need to do, or what accessories I need to purchase to be able to use the
    PDA anywhere to access the internet.

    When I go into the setups for the network, it looks to me as though I
    have a choice of a modem, wireless or bluetooth connection. From what I
    could figure out - I need a bluetooth enabled PCS phone in order to
    use bluetooth. I don't have that, so that's out. So, does that leave
    me with the wireless and/or modem options?

    I want to be able to connect to my earthlink ISP to check emails or surf
    the web when away from my desktop. I am not looking to be able to
    connect to a corporate LAN for business emails - I've been told my
    company has a firewall in place to prevent that access.

    So, what do I need to do? Do I need a new PCS phone? Special wireless
    access dialup TN for my ISP? I'm going bonkers trying to figure this out.

    Any help or advise is appreciated.

    Thx,
    Kathleen

  2. Re: HP IPAQ 4100 newbe questions

    Kathleen wrote in message news:...
    > I am a complete novice on this PDA (HP IPAQ 4100) and how the wireless,
    > modem and/or Bluetooth work. If I am near my wireless home network, I
    > can access the internet via the IPAQ. But that doesn't buy me much, I
    > could just log onto the internet from my PC. I can't figure out what I
    > need to do, or what accessories I need to purchase to be able to use the
    > PDA anywhere to access the internet.
    >
    > When I go into the setups for the network, it looks to me as though I
    > have a choice of a modem, wireless or bluetooth connection. From what I
    > could figure out - I need a bluetooth enabled PCS phone in order to
    > use bluetooth. I don't have that, so that's out. So, does that leave
    > me with the wireless and/or modem options?
    >
    > I want to be able to connect to my earthlink ISP to check emails or surf
    > the web when away from my desktop. I am not looking to be able to
    > connect to a corporate LAN for business emails - I've been told my
    > company has a firewall in place to prevent that access.
    >
    > So, what do I need to do? Do I need a new PCS phone? Special wireless
    > access dialup TN for my ISP? I'm going bonkers trying to figure this out.
    >
    > Any help or advise is appreciated.
    >
    > Thx,
    > Kathleen

    Maybe there's a modem option for your IPAQ model. Check that (
    Internet, or Help Support ).

    Second option if your Ipaq supports bluetooth consider a Celullar
    Phone with Bluetooth like the T68i Sonyericsson.

+ Reply to Thread