How to connect Asus Mypal A620/A620BT to Garmin Etrex Legend? - Handheld

This is a discussion on How to connect Asus Mypal A620/A620BT to Garmin Etrex Legend? - Handheld ; Hi, I am considering to buy an Asus Mypal A620 or A620BT for using it together with my Etrex Legend for car navigation. I've already searched the Internet for info about the necessary cable. Up to now unfortunately to no ...

  1. How to connect Asus Mypal A620/A620BT to Garmin Etrex Legend?

    Hi,

    I am considering to buy an Asus Mypal A620 or A620BT for using it together
    with my Etrex Legend for car navigation.

    I've already searched the Internet for info about the necessary cable. Up
    to now unfortunately to no success. :-(

    Since the combination A620 + Holux GPS mouse is offered at some shops I
    suppose the problem with a direct connection A620-Etrex is not the logical
    interface but the voltage level:

    - Garmin Etrex uses a standard RS232 interface with +12 V
    - the Asus A620's interface also features an RS232 but at TTL level (+5 V)

    For this reason a level converter (like Max232) would be necessary - just
    like in most data cables for mobile phones.

    Can anyone confirm this or is there somewhere a pinout of the A620/A620BT
    26pin interface available?

    Thanks.

    Steve

  2. Re: How to connect Asus Mypal A620/A620BT to Garmin Etrex Legend?

    I am interested in this too- I've had an eTrex for a few years that I used
    with my Psion 5mx, and am slowly migrating to an Asus 620. I've not found a
    cable yet.
    I've tried an email to Asus but got no answer- thanks Asus (!). In
    retrospect the thing to do is look for the cables first *then* choose a
    device that you know will work.
    If you find the part I'm interested......

    "Romes S." wrote in message
    newspr3ctixibzr28dg@news.einsundeins.de...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am considering to buy an Asus Mypal A620 or A620BT for using it together
    > with my Etrex Legend for car navigation.
    >
    > I've already searched the Internet for info about the necessary cable. Up
    > to now unfortunately to no success. :-(
    >
    > Since the combination A620 + Holux GPS mouse is offered at some shops I
    > suppose the problem with a direct connection A620-Etrex is not the logical
    > interface but the voltage level:
    >
    > - Garmin Etrex uses a standard RS232 interface with +12 V
    > - the Asus A620's interface also features an RS232 but at TTL level (+5 V)
    >
    > For this reason a level converter (like Max232) would be necessary - just
    > like in most data cables for mobile phones.
    >
    > Can anyone confirm this or is there somewhere a pinout of the A620/A620BT
    > 26pin interface available?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Steve
    >

    > --

    ---

  3. Re: How to connect Asus Mypal A620/A620BT to Garmin Etrex Legend?

    > - Garmin Etrex uses a standard RS232 interface with +12 V
    > - the Asus A620's interface also features an RS232 but at TTL level (+5 V)
    >
    > For this reason a level converter (like Max232) would be necessary - just
    > like in most data cables for mobile phones.
    >
    > Can anyone confirm this or is there somewhere a pinout of the A620/A620BT
    > 26pin interface available?

    You are right, you need a special cable for this couple.

    - Carsten

    --
    Audio Visual Systems fon: +49 (0)2234 601886
    Carsten Kurz fax: +49 (0)2234 601887

  4. Re: How to connect Asus Mypal A620/A620BT to Garmin Etrex Legend?

    > - Garmin Etrex uses a standard RS232 interface with +12 V
    > - the Asus A620's interface also features an RS232 but at TTL level (+5 V)
    >
    > For this reason a level converter (like Max232) would be necessary - just
    > like in most data cables for mobile phones.
    >
    > Can anyone confirm this or is there somewhere a pinout of the A620/A620BT
    > 26pin interface available?

    You are right, you need a special cable for this couple.

    - Carsten

    --
    Audio Visual Systems fon: +49 (0)2234 601886
    Carsten Kurz fax: +49 (0)2234 601887
    Von-Werth-Straße 111 email: audiovisual@t-online.de
    50259 Pulheim / Germany WGS84:N50°57'50.2" E06°47'28.5"

+ Reply to Thread