|=|
|=| TuxMobil News - Monthly Digest 01/2004

|=| Dear Reader,

finally I am back from LinuxSolutions.FR in Paris, sorry for the
delay of the TuxMobil News digest for 01/2004[1]. I have put an
extract of the most important messages for Linux PDA, mobile phone
and laptop users at the top of this letter.

Werner Heuser

|=| To me one of the most important messages was about a decision
the biggest Japanese phone company has made. NTT DoCoMo canceled
the mobile phone Joint Venture with Microsoft in favor
of the Symbian and Linux operating system[2]. Also a study by
the Zelos group states "Linux headed for worldwide smartphone
domination[3]. See more about Linux on mobile phones at
TuxMobil[4].

|=| The MAC-OS X applications on Zaurus project[5] seeks developers.
Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller reports progress in the mySTEP project to run
MacOS X applications on the Sharp Zaurus. And Gentoo is now
available for the Zaurus Linux PDAs[6].

|=| Gentoo For Zaurus - (0.2.1)

[1] http://tuxmobil.org/mobile_news_2004_01.html
[2] http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/hps-30.01.04-000/
[3] http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8826793405.html
[4] http://tuxmobil.org/phones_linux.html
[5] http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3364064037.html
[6] http://www.opensistemas.com/Gentoo_f...rus.715.0.html

|=| all messages, order: PDA, laptop, cell phone, wireless LAN,
kernel and libraries, miscellaneous:

|=| uClibc - a C library for embedded systems (0.9.25)
http://www.uclibc.org/

|=| uClinux - for MMUless CPUs, e.g. 3Com PalmPilot (2.4.24-uc0)
http://www.uClinux.org/

|=| uClinux - for MMUless CPUs, e.g. 3Com PalmPilot (2.6.1-uc0)
http://www.uClinux.org/

|=| Sync4j - implementation of the SyncML synchronization protocol (1.2)
http://sync4j.sourceforge.net/

|=| gpsdrive - navigation system for Linux PDAs (2.07)
http://tuxmobil.org/navigation_gps.html

|=| Gentoo For Zaurus - (0.2.1)
http://www.opensistemas.com/Gentoo_f...rus.715.0.html

|=| Lycoris: Desktop/LX Pocket PC Edition based on OPIE and OpenZaurus announced.
http://www.lycoris.com/products/pocketpc/

|=| MAC-OS X apps on Zaurus project seeks developers

|=| First Linux port for iPAQ H2200
http://michaelo.free.fr/pda/h2210/starterkit/

|=| Cacko: Full X11-Based Distro For PDAs
http://cacko.zaurususergroup.com/scr...s.php?menuid=2

|=| SuperVESA FrameBuffer Driver (1.2)
http://www.rastersoft.com/supervesafb_en.html

|=| cpufreqd - replacement of the speedstep applet (1.1)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cpufreqd/

|=| Pepper Pad - tablet PC prototype with MontaVista Embedded Linux
http://www.pepper.com/

|=| gournal - note-taking application for Tablet-PCs (0.2)
http://www.adebenham.com/gournal/

|=| Elitegroup Computer Systems: Sub-$700 Linux Laptops U.S.-Bound with LindowsOS.
http://newsvac.newsforge.com/article.../01/09/1514236

|=| pbbuttonsd I - for Apple laptops to access the 'special keys' (0.5.8)
http://www.cymes.de/members/joker/index.html

|=| evtouch - Lifebook B Series Touchscreen Driver (0.5)
http://www.conan.de/lifebook

|=| LaptopConfig - GUI for accessing laptop ACPI events (0.4)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ltpconf

|=| ThinkPad Buttons - enables the special keys on IBM ThinkPad (0.6.1)
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/tpb/

|=| KMilo Thinkpad Plugin - support for special buttons via KDE (0.2)
http://www.kde.me.uk/index.php?page=kmilo

|=| CNET: Intel announces Linux Centrino support - new rumours
http://news.com.com/2100-7344-5145073.html

|=| noflushd - monitors disk activity to save power (2.7)
http://noflushd.sourceforge.net/

|=| CT 65548 - fbdev driver for older notebooks (0.9)
http://freshmeat.net/projects/ct48fb/

|=| EZFB Linux Frame Buffer API (9.00)
http://www.akrobiz.com/ezfb/

|=| NVidia - Linux and FreeBSD XFree86 4.x drivers (1.0-5336)
http://www.nvidia.com/linux

|=| ifplugd - configures the network automatically when a cable is plugged in (0.21)
http://www.stud.uni-hamburg.de/users...jects/ifplugd/

|=| keyfuzz - scancode manipulation tool for laptop special keys (0.1)
http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/keyfuzz/

|=| imwheel - makes your wheel and stick mice work in X11 (1.0.0pre6)
http://jcatki.no-ip.org/imwheel/

|=| swsusp - SoftWareSuspend Core Patches (2.0)
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/swsusp

|=| INFOWORLD: ECS, Lindows in Linux laptop deal
http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/...laptops_1.html

|=| mAha! - puzzle game for mobile phones (1.5)
http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/abrax/HACK/JAVA/JAHA.html

|=| GAMMU - cell phone manager (formerly MyGnokii2) (0.92)
http://marcin-wiacek.fkn.pl/gsm/gammu/gammu.html

|=| SMS Server Tools - build an SMS email gateway (1.13)
http://www.isis.de/~s.frings/smstools_index.html

|=| PlaySMS - gateway for SMS (0.3)
http://playsms.sourceforge.net

|=| x70talk - communication to a Panasonic X70 mobile phone (0.0.6)
http://x70talk.sourceforge.net/

|=| gnokii - tool suite for Nokia (GSM) mobile phones (0.5.9)
http://tuxmobil.org/phones_linux_nokia_other.html

|=| SCMxx - console program to exchange data with mobile phones made by Siemens (0.6.4.1)
http://tuxmobil.org/phones_linux_siemens.html

|=| SMSC-Gateway - sends/receives SMSes from/to cellular phones using different connections (1.1.12d)
http://tuxmobil.org/phones_linux_sms.html

|=| THE REGISTER: NOKIA prefers Python to Perl for smartphone scripting - just rumours?
http://nl.internet.com/ct.html?rtr=o...,8k9o,jx11,k67

|=| Nokia to intro Perl on mobiles - just rumours?
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=04/01/17/1435206

|=| NTT DoCoMo cancels mobile phone Joint Venture with Microsoft
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/hps-30.01.04-000/

|=| Linux headed for worldwide smartphone domination

|=| Wireless Access Point Utilities for Unix (1.4pre2)
http://tuxmobil.org/wireless_unix.html

|=| aeswepd - AES rekeying daemon for IEEE 802.11 WEP (0.4)
http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/aeswepd/

|=| waproamd - WLAN roaming daemon (0.5)
http://www.stud.uni-hamburg.de/users...ects/waproamd/

|=| gnuPod - tools to use your iPod under Linux and other UNIXes (0.94rc1)
http://tuxmobil.org/portable_players.html

|=| gtkpod - platform-independent GUI for Apple's iPod, using GTK2 (0.72)
http://gtkpod.sourceforge.net/

|=| Silicon Motion has been accepted as a member of the Consumer Electronics Linux Forum (CELF).

|=| EDGE" reference design supports Linux-based mobile device apps

|=| number of entries in this TuxMobil News digest
|=|
|=| 49

|=| Impressum
|=|
|=| At http://tuxmobil.org/newsfeed.html you may find the daily RDF/RSS channel
|=| of this monthly newsletter. You may also submit your news there.
|=| TuxMobil News are archived, see http://tuxmobil.org/mobile_news.html

http://Xtops.DE/ -- Laptops and PDAs with Linux

--
|=| Werner Heuser = Berliner Str. 122 = D-13187 Berlin = Germany
|=| T. 0049 - (0)30 - 349 53 86