Faulty SD card, need to know what looks like inside - Handheld

This is a discussion on Faulty SD card, need to know what looks like inside - Handheld ; I have an SD card that was shipped to me from ebay, however the seller has 'disappeared'. In the meantime I am stuck with a card with no lock switch, and that i cant write to. I have taken the ...

  1. Faulty SD card, need to know what looks like inside

    I have an SD card that was shipped to me from ebay, however the seller
    has 'disappeared'. In the meantime I am stuck with a card with no lock
    switch, and that i cant write to. I have taken the back off, but cant
    see what would cause it to be locked, is there a floppy disk like
    trick i can do of taping over something or simular to leave the card
    open to read/write

    id someone has a picture they can send of what one looks like with the
    lock in place that would be appreciated.

    I am off on holiday on tuesday and would like to put some tunes on the
    card

    Jon Garside

  2. Re: Faulty SD card, need to know what looks like inside

    until you mentioned that I hadn't even noticed that tiny little lock switch!
    Now that I look, both of mine have a slider switch which is by default slid
    all the way 'down' toward the connectors. I can slide the switch back 'up'
    away from the connectors and would assume that it would lock the card though
    I've not tried accessing them.

    You also got me curious about what these little suckers look like on the
    inside so I did a Google search for "SD card" interior, dissect, inside
    etc... and found nothing. If someone stumbles across a photo of one opened
    up perhaps they'll post the link.

    I'm a little curious about whether it will still work once you get it
    reassembled.

    Terry

    "Jon Garside" wrote in message
    news:122057d4.0402080727.445cf6ef@posting.google.c om...
    > I have an SD card that was shipped to me from ebay, however the seller
    > has 'disappeared'. In the meantime I am stuck with a card with no lock
    > switch, and that i cant write to. I have taken the back off, but cant
    > see what would cause it to be locked, is there a floppy disk like
    > trick i can do of taping over something or simular to leave the card
    > open to read/write
    >
    > id someone has a picture they can send of what one looks like with the
    > lock in place that would be appreciated.
    >
    > I am off on holiday on tuesday and would like to put some tunes on the
    > card
    >
    > Jon Garside

  3. Re: Faulty SD card, need to know what looks like inside

    the "lock switch" is simply a movable piece of plastic, that (I
    believe,) when in the position closest to the connectors, simply toggles
    a switch _in the ppc or other device_ that, in turn, disables the
    device's ability to write to the device.

    Before you destroy it, would suggest trying it in a pc card reader and
    experimenting with putting a spot of epoxy where the slider was, let it
    harden, then sculpt it to replace the slider.

    Beverly Howard

    Note; The contents of my postings and responses here represent my
    personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect the views, thoughts or
    feelings of Microsoft or any of its employees.

    I am not an employee of Microsoft. I visit and post here because I
    (generally ;-) enjoy the experience and learn a lot by participating here.

  4. Re: Faulty SD card, need to know what looks like inside

    AFAIK from the one i used to have that the switch is not like a record tab
    similar to vhs video tapes or audio cassettes that operates amechanical
    switch but is infact an electrical conductor type switch if you have the
    back of the sd card it prob need a link replacing on the pcb that would have
    been made by a small piece of metal on the back of the missing slider
    switch.

    but ill hold my hands up and say im wrong if someone knows better )

    Bait for spammers:
    root@localhost
    postmaster@localhost
    admin@localhost
    abuse@localhost
    postmaster@127.0.0.1
    "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" wrote in
    message news:#gljkVo7DHA.1112@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > the "lock switch" is simply a movable piece of plastic, that (I
    > believe,) when in the position closest to the connectors, simply toggles
    > a switch _in the ppc or other device_ that, in turn, disables the
    > device's ability to write to the device.
    >
    > Before you destroy it, would suggest trying it in a pc card reader and
    > experimenting with putting a spot of epoxy where the slider was, let it
    > harden, then sculpt it to replace the slider.
    >
    > Beverly Howard
    >
    > ================================================== ===========
    > Note; The contents of my postings and responses here represent my
    > personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect the views, thoughts or
    > feelings of Microsoft or any of its employees.
    >
    > I am not an employee of Microsoft. I visit and post here because I
    > (generally ;-) enjoy the experience and learn a lot by participating here.

  5. Re: Faulty SD card, need to know what looks like inside

    It may be a ROM card, rather than a RAM card, so it's not possible to write
    to the device.

    "Jon Garside" wrote in message
    news:122057d4.0402080727.445cf6ef@posting.google.c om...
    > I have an SD card that was shipped to me from ebay, however the seller
    > has 'disappeared'. In the meantime I am stuck with a card with no lock
    > switch, and that i cant write to. I have taken the back off, but cant
    > see what would cause it to be locked, is there a floppy disk like
    > trick i can do of taping over something or simular to leave the card
    > open to read/write
    >
    > id someone has a picture they can send of what one looks like with the
    > lock in place that would be appreciated.
    >
    > I am off on holiday on tuesday and would like to put some tunes on the
    > card
    >
    > Jon Garside

    ---

  6. Re: Faulty SD card, need to know what looks like inside

    I have an SD card that been split open, the lock tab gone. I simply shaved
    a piece of plastic to shape and using a gel superglue set it in place (the
    write position) then glued the casing back together. It's worked fine ever
    since...

  7. Re: Faulty SD card, need to know what looks like inside

    On 8 Feb 2004 07:27:21 -0800, Jon Garside wrote:

    > I have an SD card that was shipped to me from ebay, however the seller
    > has 'disappeared'. In the meantime I am stuck with a card with no lock
    > switch, and that i cant write to. I have taken the back off, but cant
    > see what would cause it to be locked, is there a floppy disk like
    > trick i can do of taping over something or simular to leave the card
    > open to read/write
    >
    > id someone has a picture they can send of what one looks like with the
    > lock in place that would be appreciated.
    >
    > I am off on holiday on tuesday and would like to put some tunes on the
    > card
    >
    > Jon Garside

    You can put a piece of sticky tape (Scotch) over the read/write-gap.
    It works fine for me.

    Wilfried

+ Reply to Thread