Palm Vx questions... (crossposted) - Handheld

This is a discussion on Palm Vx questions... (crossposted) - Handheld ; Sorry for the crosspost to a couple non-Palm usergroups (hp and Psion) but sometimes people on these forums know about multiple platforms and I'm looking for some advice....>>> I just "inherited" a Palm Vx and I know nothing about it ...

  1. Palm Vx questions... (crossposted)

    Sorry for the crosspost to a couple non-Palm usergroups (hp and Psion) but
    sometimes people on these forums know about multiple platforms and I'm
    looking for some advice....>>>

    I just "inherited" a Palm Vx and I know nothing about it but I have used a
    Psion 5 and HP 690 in the past.

    What are the Palm Vx's capabilities? How old is the technology?

    Is this a serious machine? That is, can I do wi-fi with it? Can I get a
    wireless modem for out-of-the-office Internet surfing? Are there issues
    syncing with a PC desktop? Can I sync to Outlook Express? Can I do email?
    Can I do spreadsheets and sync with Excel? Can I do GPS? Are there add-in
    software utilities? Are there games?

    Or, is this primarily a datebook replacement?

    Thanks in advance.

    --
    Marty S.
    Baltimore, MD USA

  2. Re: Palm Vx questions... (crossposted)

    Am Sat, 07 Feb 2004 09:39:43 -0500 schrieb Marty S.:

    > Sorry for the crosspost to a couple non-Palm usergroups (hp and Psion) but
    > sometimes people on these forums know about multiple platforms and I'm
    > looking for some advice....>>>
    >
    > I just "inherited" a Palm Vx and I know nothing about it but I have used a
    > Psion 5 and HP 690 in the past.
    >
    > What are the Palm Vx's capabilities? How old is the technology?

    -> google.com is your friend.

    > Is this a serious machine?

    Yes. Or no?! No, I think *Yes*...

    That is, can I do wi-fi with it? Can I get a
    > wireless modem for out-of-the-office Internet surfing? Are there issues
    > syncing with a PC desktop? Can I sync to Outlook Express? Can I do email?
    > Can I do spreadsheets and sync with Excel? Can I do GPS? Are there add-in
    > software utilities? Are there games?
    >
    > Or, is this primarily a datebook replacement?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    This is Usenet and not a free hotline. Do a little research in
    groups.google.com and you will find more than enough.

    regards,

    Bernd Illig

  3. Re: Palm Vx questions... (crossposted)

    Let's see, I'll post a couple of weblinks for you:

    http://www.palmone.com/us/support/software.html

    http://www.palmone.com/us/support/palm5x/

    The newer PALM machines like the T3 in my personal opinion work far better
    than the older Palm OS 3 machines. The T3 for example comes with sync
    software and also software like documents to go. Yes its far more expensive
    but very good and very stable.

    regards

    "Marty S." wrote in message
    > Sorry for the crosspost to a couple non-Palm usergroups (hp and Psion) but
    > sometimes people on these forums know about multiple platforms and I'm
    > looking for some advice....>>>
    >
    > I just "inherited" a Palm Vx and I know nothing about it but I have used a
    > Psion 5 and HP 690 in the past.
    >
    > What are the Palm Vx's capabilities? How old is the technology?
    >
    > Is this a serious machine? That is, can I do wi-fi with it? Can I get a
    > wireless modem for out-of-the-office Internet surfing? Are there issues
    > syncing with a PC desktop? Can I sync to Outlook Express? Can I do

    email?
    > Can I do spreadsheets and sync with Excel? Can I do GPS? Are there

    add-in
    > software utilities? Are there games?
    >
    > Or, is this primarily a datebook replacement?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > --
    > Marty S.
    > Baltimore, MD USA

  4. Re: Palm Vx questions... (crossposted)

    <> Yes, Nearly the best at the time it was
    current. Only the wireless VII was higher in the Palm foodchain!

    < out-of-the-office Internet surfing?>> Unsure, but probably.

    << Are there issues syncing with a PC desktop? Can I sync to Outlook Express?
    >> No issues. I synch with Outlook.

    <> Yes

    <> You can get application to
    allow Word and Excel and Powerpoint files to be viewed, and I think modified,
    with links back to the full PC versions of the files.

    << Can I do GPS?>> I have a Magellan GPS device that mine parks into.

    << Are there add-in software utilities? Are there games?>> Many utilities.

    The issue at this point is whether or not you can still find products in the
    stores for the Vx...if you go to the stores the electrical adapters, synch
    cables, etc. that are stocked are largely for the current products and Vx stuff
    is harder to find. Might have to resort to Internet and/or to specialized
    catalogs aimed at 'road warriors' and portable computing devices.

    --Wilt

  5. Re: Palm Vx questions... (crossposted)

    EBAY has TONS of the PALM snap on Modem Module that you can get for .99 if
    your sharp EBAYEr. You can even add TDKs Blue5 Bluetooth Module on it for
    less then $40. They are everywhere, as well as other PALM V and Vx accs
    (same case all options interchangeable on the Palm V and Vx's) The fold out
    keyboards are abounding and cases as well. I have newer model palms and keep
    my Vx as a good dependable backup. With 8 megs and descent battery life it
    does the job (cant speak for your battery) Good unit to see if a Palm is
    useful for you, and if so, use it as a steeping stone. Alien has send you
    to a good location for applications. Word of caution, this kinda cross
    posting will get you alienated and fast. You dont post questions about a
    Palm Vx in PSION or HP. newsgroups etc.

    --
    Visit Wireless World - News and Views for a daily look at the world of
    wireless technology. Register for our weekly contest giveaways!!!

    "Marty S." wrote in message
    > Sorry for the crosspost to a couple non-Palm usergroups (hp and Psion) but
    > sometimes people on these forums know about multiple platforms and I'm
    > looking for some advice....>>>
    >
    > I just "inherited" a Palm Vx and I know nothing about it but I have used a
    > Psion 5 and HP 690 in the past.
    >
    > What are the Palm Vx's capabilities? How old is the technology?
    >
    > Is this a serious machine? That is, can I do wi-fi with it? Can I get a
    > wireless modem for out-of-the-office Internet surfing? Are there issues
    > syncing with a PC desktop? Can I sync to Outlook Express? Can I do

    email?
    > Can I do spreadsheets and sync with Excel? Can I do GPS? Are there

    add-in
    > software utilities? Are there games?
    >
    > Or, is this primarily a datebook replacement?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > --
    > Marty S.
    > Baltimore, MD USA